What's the worst sounding uke you have ever played.

My grizzly kit Uke. I am pretty sure it was my fault.
I threw it in fire at the last UWC

OMG, you guys are too funny. This one made me laugh so hard I blew snot out my nose! I'm glad I was alone.

my daughter won a Kohala concert in a sweepstakes, and hers is pretty nice she loves it. (mabee a differnt model? )the neck feels very nice and the wood is pretty. nice geared tuners, not fabulous sounding but ok. the bag that came with it was only cloth with 0 padding but Im goign to fix that

I think the $25 Rogue (from musicians friend) that I got her to start out on was not bad sounding but terrible issues, the fret edges very sharp, bad tuners, action very high. but the worst thing was that the fret spacing is way off from the nut and first fret. I lowered the action adn am goign to install a 0 fret. other than that the neck and body shape is light and nice. and it came with a very nice bag. once I have it all tweeked it may be a nice lil uke.

I have to say as bad as that one was , the beginner $45 Mahalo I tryed out in the local music store seemed much worse, that thing was realy rough made. very high action worse than the rouge, and 'clunky' feeling and dead sounding, the finish all 'drippy' and incomplete, looked like it was put together in someones high school shop class and they got a D on the project.

In search of the perfect beater uke, I bought a Kohala soprano. I'm pretty happy with it. The finish is not-so-good and the strings it came with gave it a clunky sound. I even got a splinter in my arm from the edges! I carefully trimmed the rough edges with a exacto blade, sealed the wood with clear coat scratch fix and put new Martin flouracarbons and she actually has a sweet sound now. Quality on those Kohalas must be hit and miss 'cause I've heard real horror stories about them in this forum.
Ernest

While it might be unfair to mention the brand - I had a look at a uke a while ago it had a nut were the strings sat proud on the tiniest notches and highest of all was the good old C string.
When attempting to strum softly that C string really boomed out. If you strummed hard an open A string would jump out of it's notch.
I handed it back it to the music shop asistant who blamed my bad technique and then fetched the owner who harangued me for bothering his staff when I didn't want to buy, damn right I didn't want to buy from him - EVER. Thing is they are usually a reasonable quality brand and often the only brand carried by local music shops.

why would it be unfair to mention the brand? every brand will have at least one dud...

why would it be unfair to mention the brand? every brand will have at least one dud...

I agree that every brand might have a dud but as long as their reps make good then you shouldn't be too negative on forums - where such comments have a disproprtionate effect.

I personally believe that the real problem was the attitude of the store owner. He had a poor rep anyway (and I just heard literally 15 minutes ago) his business went under last year.

If you believe that others will be harmed or even badly disappointed by purchasing a particular product or dealing with a particular company or outlet and are unable to resolve a problem through the normal channels - then by all means publish.

Top Bottom