George Formby fan here - HELP!

Welcome from another huge Formby fan. Probably not much help since I've never tried either of the banjo ukes you listed, but I play some Formby tunes on my 20's NuWay, and another 20's maple w/resonator and enjoy the sound of both. I also like them on regular ukes too. You may check out the Mainland Banjo uke (Mike at Mainland is a member here and a great guy to deal with), and the Goldtone's seem to get pretty good reviews.

Found another one:- The DUB-5 Heartwood (says it is a "Gibson Style" banjolele, which Formby played)

Found another one:- The DUB-5 Heartwood (says it is a "Gibson Style" banjolele, which Formby played)

To play like George, I'd get myself a Gibson UB2. You can find them on ebay occasionally, and in the UK, Alan Uke Harris, John T's banjo ukes, and John Croft all have them for sale. If you don't want to spend 600 pounds, I'd look at the many Dallas model B or C ukes that are out there and which were endorsed by George.

You could buy new and the ones you've outlined are ok, but not what Formby style players use. Visit the George Formby Society website to get a good sense of his ukes and the songs, many of the songs are available through the shop: http://www.georgeformby.co.uk/

Don't know where you live, but if it is in England, contact John T's Banjo Ukes (like Jnobianchi says) and he will advise you. If you really want to sound like George Formby, an American style banjo uke will not do. They just don't sound the same. In my opinion, traditional US banjo ukes (just a hoop and skin) sound much better, but George Formby played a different beast. You may not be able to afford a vintage Gibson (or similar) but I am sure that cheaper alternatives exist. John T will give you good advice.

By the way, it is helpful for anyone replying to your questions if they know where you live.

Thanks for the help guys. The Heartwood says it is a "Gibson style" banjo uke

Top Bottom