Hello from NC

RonnieD

Reaction score
Hello to all the great folks on the forum
Just starting out playing the ukulele. I have tried guitar, banjo, mandolin and none worked for me. Maybe the ukulele will be the one, at least I hope so. I have been doing some building in the past year, and hopefully I can build a solid wood ukulele soon. I am interested in learning to play along with all the building resources I can find. Thanks to all who make this forum the great place it is for ukulele players around the world.

Hi RonnieD, welcome to the forum. I am in NC as well. Where you located?

Welcome. I hope you enjoy the Uke. Are you Piedmont, coast or mountains? Lots of lovely land in NC. Lots of good Uke resources too. Mimi's shop for upgrades and the academy in Wilimington. Keep us posted on your progress

Welcome from the Triad. Please post any build images or experiences. I slowly acquiring the necessary supplies.

Another NC'er here...transplanted 4 years ago. I also tried guitar for several years, but 3 months ago found the ukulele is what really worked for me, as far as making music instead of just listening to it.

I'm in the Triad, too. We're slowly getting enough representation here to make a regular jam session a real possibility. Charlotte just reminds me too much of what I left behind (traffic, population density, big city) for me to get up the energy and desire to attend the monthly jam sessions there.

We need to get the word out to our fellow North Carolinians to get more converted to the uke.

Doug

Hey Ronnie! Welcome to the Underground!! It's nice to see the North Carolina population go up another notch. :) Where abouts are you? There's a regular Jam in Durham..they meet twice a month and another monthly jam down in Wilmington at the Ukulele Academy. Looking forward to seeing you around!

Hello all, I am located just outside Shelby in Cleveland County. Glad to see others on here from NC. Hope to learn to play the ukulele. I just bought a Fluke Tenor this week and its going to be a long road to learning as I dont have an instructor. Got the Dummies book and that is what I am going to use, as well as the videos on here.
Thanks for the welcome

Welcome! Glad you joined us. Don't they have a uke making course at of those artsy craftsy schools somewhere in the mountains up there?

Hello all, I am located just outside Shelby in Cleveland County. Glad to see others on here from NC. Hope to learn to play the ukulele. I just bought a Fluke Tenor this week and its going to be a long road to learning as I dont have an instructor. Got the Dummies book and that is what I am going to use, as well as the videos on here.
Thanks for the welcome

You are close enough to Charlotte that you shouldn't have any trouble making the monthly jams of the Charlotte Uke Society. I think they still meet at Mim's, and from all indications they are a really fun group to be a part of. Now, if they just weren't located in Charlotte. <sigh> Give me a few more years and I may finally get over my 9 years of living in the DC area.

Check out their blog at http://www.charlotteukejam.blogspot.com/

Doug

Welcome! Glad you joined us. Don't they have a uke making course at of those artsy craftsy schools somewhere in the mountains up there?

You're probably thinking of the John C. Campbell Folk School. Located in SW North Carolina. I didn't find any ukulele-related offerings in their current catalog but they have a small number of "unique offerings" periodically.

Another alternative educational experience I have my eyes on for when (if?) I finally retire is The Swannanoa Gathering. Unfortunately also no uke-related offerings but lots of other folk arts offerings.

NC is pretty well steeped in bluegrass tradition so lots of fiddle, guitar, banjo, and mandolin around; but ukes apparently are starting to make inroads.

Doug

I'm in NC also, off of Lake Norman, NW of Charlottle. I wish I was closer to the Wilmington area, would love to check out the NC Ukulele Academy.

You're probably thinking of the John C. Campbell Folk School. Located in SW North Carolina. I didn't find any ukulele-related offerings in their current catalog but they have a small number of "unique offerings" periodically.

Another alternative educational experience I have my eyes on for when (if?) I finally retire is The Swannanoa Gathering. Unfortunately also no uke-related offerings but lots of other folk arts offerings.

NC is pretty well steeped in bluegrass tradition so lots of fiddle, guitar, banjo, and mandolin around; but ukes apparently are starting to make inroads.

Doug

Kind of resurecting an old thread here, but I see the Campbell School has an ukulele buildling workshop in June 2019. I am thinking of going.

I'm in NC also, off of Lake Norman, NW of Charlottle. I wish I was closer to the Wilmington area, would love to check out the NC Ukulele Academy.

It's worth a day trip or an overnight visit. Kent has a great store and he's an awesome guy. He also has monthly jams and other events. The website is alohau.com

Top Bottom