Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cold creep

Default cold creep

Have heard mention of "cold creep" when using titebond 2 . what is it? does it mean the joint is likely to move or give in cold weather? I know I'm setting myself up for some humorous answers, but I really want to know as I've used titebond 2 before. heard it's better to use titebond 1.
    Last edited by strumsilly; 11-30-2011 at 05:19 AM. Reason: sp
    there is no substitute for LOVE

No, not cold weather...it just moves very slowly under load at ambient temperature.

Why would anyone use a rubbery glue like T II in instruments? It's perhaps the worst choice you could make... I suspect it's that folks think that because its " 2 " it must be better...an improvement. It's not unless you need waterproof joints like in putting outside doors together or some such.

Learn how to use hot hide glue. Or use fish glue. Or LMI white glue. And for some joints, use epoxy.

thanks for your reply. I used it because I had it around and didn't know better. now I do.

Why would it be important to learn a new style of gluing when T2 works great and is a stronger joint than the ones mentioned. I hear all the time when old instruments fall apart due to the glue getting to hot in a car or whatever. T2 would never fail. The glue joint becomes stronger than the wood itself. I have used it for years and never once had a problem. I have also used white glue with no problems either. Also to clarify the T3 is the weather proof one and comes in a green bottle. Just my opinion.

did some research and found this for anyone interested:
    "On instruments most glue joint failures are hardly ever related to the glues strength. The most common culprit is insufficient glue, heat exposure or poor surface to surface contact. "
    from this web site:
    http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/r...uitar/glue.php

Ukebuilder...or whoever you are; I beg to differ, and my opinion is backed up by some of the best in the business. Clearly you do not have much experience as an instrument repair tech, and you've bought into the wrong publicity from modern glue manufacturers. I'd suggest you read the links below to see what true masters of the craft think and have learned:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luth...hideglue1.html

http://www.acousticmusic.org/Hide-Glue-sp-85.html

And it's NOT a big deal to use. Look up Mario Proulx' methods, and here's his site: http://www.proulxguitars.com/buildup/build14.htm

Hot hide glue in a sqeeze bottle...simple to use, superior in all the important aspects for acoustically significant joints.

Who ever I am? Well I have power in my shop but that in a new invention as well as the newer glue. I also have power tools, but that is also newer to the old way of hand tools. Hmm I guess I have moved forward into the year 2011 and using what it has to offer. You can beg or differ but I disagree with you and your strong handed ideals. WOW people are different and we have the right to be. I can talk different and use different words and also use what ever I want to glue wood together. I don't believe it for a minute that glue is going to make a well built instrument sound bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ukebuilder View Post
    I don't believe it for a minute that glue is going to make a well built instrument sound bad.
    Probably not, but it will make a well built instrument sound better. All my bracing is now done with hide-glue...For me, there is no looking back!

I was just saying that T2 is not the worst choice for glue. I am not against hide glue at all, I have used it myself, but to change just because someone thinks it better is not a good reason. People all have their own opinion and that is what make this world great. If your at a level of your craft that you want to improve to the next level and glue is the thing that might get you their then by all means go for it. But if your just making them for fun and enjoyment then why would it matter. I have heard so many people argue that this is best or this is best. Its what you as the individual likes and that is it. I have seen hide glue fail many times. This is what is keeping me from using it on a day to day basis. If I feel like it would make what I make that much better then I will change but not because someone says so. Unless a customer came to me and said I should use it or ask me to then I might consider it. Just how I feel. Use what you want for wood or glue or whatever just keep doing it that is what is important.

Lets keep is civil guys...
    -Andy

YouTube|Twitter|E-Mail|The Blog|Facebook
    They're all snipes. Usually Seeso snipes them. He just tried it but didn't get it. HA! -sukie
    Katie replied, "You poho people are like drug addicts and you're each others drugs".- salukulady

Thread Information