Which one?

imnotlarry

Reaction score
Hi, im a beginner in the ukulele world, and im looking for my first one.

Im from Argentina (as you may noticed for my poor english), and there are not too much brands to choose. There are not Lanikai, and there are not Kala.

So, i put my eyes on this two:

The well knowed Oscar Schmidt OU5
http://www.oscarschmidt.com/products/ukes/ou5.asp

And this one, built and buyed on Hawaii, at bob's store
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar...awaii-construccion-artesanal-zurdodiestro-_JM

Can you please help me?
thanks!!

Amigo, a mi me parece que el Oscar Schimdt es mucho mejor. Los materiales son buenos, y esta marca es igual o mejor que kala. El otro uke que mencionas es pare una persona zurda, y no da detalles de su marca.

Buena suerte,
Ivan

I wrote in Spanish to help you along. I thik the Oscar is a much better choice. Decent materials and this brand is about the same or better than a kala. The other uke you mention is for'left handed and there's no details about the materials it's made off, or the brand.

Good luck,
Ivan

Last edited:
Point of clarification: Ukuleles aren't made specifically for right-handers or left-handers. It's a matter of how it's strung so any uke can be played by either lefties or righties.

Those are some pretty horrible photos and I can't make out the manufacturer's name. I'd ask the seller for the name so you can search them online.

Yea, i know about the right handed/left handed thing. Thats not a problem.

About the second uke's pics, i thought the same, so i have asked the seller if he can be tell me more specifically about the instrument.

anyway, he told me that i can go to his house and test it.

when he gives me an answer i ll tell you

thanks!!

If you are buying online, I would recommend sticking to one of these 3 brands for your first uke:
1) Kala
2) Mainland
3) Ohana

And then buying one made of solid mahogany, or the Kala Thinline, which has a solid spruce top and uses some magic mojo to sound much better than it should. Those brands seem to have the most consistent quality control, and there are a few US dealers who do free setup as well. I just bought my wife an Ohana sopranino from Mike at Uke Republic. It was set up by him before it was shipped. And he had the lowest price on the net! That's a pretty darned good value in my books.

If you have the ability to buy at a local music store, then you might do well with nearly any brand, at almost any price, because you have the chance to play and hear them --- and there are occasional low-priced, mass produced, ukes that are exceptionally nice.

Update! he answered this:

"Dice Hawaii y adentro esta el nombre y la direccion del local del luthier que los vende en Hawaii"

In the top of the uke (where you tune the strings) says "Hawaii", and insde, "bob's store" and the luthier's local address.

its a "unique" instrument made it by a local luthier.

Last edited:
sounds like Bob's house brand. Here's link, why not email him. Not sure about shipping, but can get ou5 for just over $100 used...like new. Sound surprisingly good with Aquila strings.

http://www.bobsukulele.com/ukuleles.htm

Top Bottom