ukuleles make in the USA

But the OP asked about "made in America" brands, and I agree with a couple comments above that suggest that "that" is what is important. I might have started the same thread. Whenever I look for an instrument - like when I got my Ko'olau - that's exactly where I start. I've always been able to find excellent American-made instruments for good prices. It does take a little more work to find them, but it's worth it. It's nice to see so many suggestions in this thread.

To put it simply: I know people who work with their hands. Those jobs are vanishing here in the USA (kind of like decent, paid gigs for us musicians. ugh.) and I want to support my neighbors. I want to support people who do beautiful work. I think they should be paid fairly and given a great deal of respect for the work they do. I find it sort of unbelievable that I hear so few people saying the same. It's not a perfect world. As far as I know, you can't buy a USA-made Apple computer. But you can buy a USA-made instrument. It'll be a sad day when you can't.

Be well,

I agree in large part with this sentiment, but have to throw in my two cents that ultimately (for me personally, anyway), where an instrument (or coffee cup, or television, or frying pan) is made is less important than how well it's made and how well it performs. If the prices were equal, I wouldn't automatically just buy an American product unless I was confident that it was the better one for me.

This may not be a very popular sentiment and folks may not understand why I think that way and disagree with me. I get that. But then again, I don't understand (nor do I agree with) the idea that one ought to sacrifice just to buy something domestic.

That being said, from what I can tell, American made 'ukuleles (either the Hawai'ian brands or any of the customs by domestic luthiers) are easily head-and-shoulders better than the overseas made ones, and are absolutely worth the higher cost. Even though you pay more, you end up with a better value and just a better instrument.

Bombs away!

...I want to support my neighbors. I want to support people who do beautiful work. I think they should be paid fairly and given a great deal of respect for the work they do.
So folks in the UK, Thailand, Australia, etc. should try to buy ukulele made in their respective countries? What about tuners, strings, cases, humidifiers and all the other uke accessories? I do not mean to be argumentative, but the implications of what you suggest are significant.

We in the U.S. are fortunate there are so many talented luthiers building quality ukulele in our country. Those of us who can afford mid to high-end instruments have many choices, but anyone looking for a sub-$300 ukulele does not.

To me, this is like posting a thread asking about "K-brand" ukes, knowing that the implication is genuine Hawaiian Island-made instruments. "Kala" ain't it...for instance, and frankly, if I were Hawaiian, I'd be pissed off about the appropriation of Hawaiian sounding brand names. All the Tin Pan Alley Hawaiiana wasn't enough, eh? Talk about over the line into cultural rip-off...

This statement made me think: How many `ukulele brands/`ukulele luthiers are Hawaiians? Not necessarily 100% Hawaiian, but how about 50%? Kamaka?

This statement made me think: How many `ukulele brands/`ukulele luthiers are Hawaiians? Not necessarily 100% Hawaiian, but how about 50%? Kamaka?

You mean, Kama Aina Hawai'ians or native Hawai'ians? Cause there are a lot more of the former (like Kanile'a, Kamaka, Ko'olau, and KoAloha owners) than there are of the latter.

To put it simply: I know people who work with their hands. Those jobs are vanishing here in the USA (kind of like decent, paid gigs for us musicians. ugh.) and I want to support my neighbors. I want to support people who do beautiful work. I think they should be paid fairly and given a great deal of respect for the work they do. I find it sort of unbelievable that I hear so few people saying the same. It's not a perfect world. As far as I know, you can't buy a USA-made Apple computer. But you can buy a USA-made instrument. It'll be a sad day when you can't.

Be well,

As someone who works with her hands and had made her living for over 36 years as a Sculptural Artist I thank you. There are many facets involved here with buying "American" including intellectual rights and the good old trickle down effect that sustains a viable economy. That being said this is a Ukulele Forum not a political one.
I am new to the community and as a Double Bass player I decided to try the Uke as I told the salesperson..."It is easier to carry around a Ukulele than a 6 foot Bass". So a few months ago I got my first Uke a concert Ibanez...And she is Sweeeeeet! But made overs seas. And yes I hope some day (if the American economy ever picks up with people spending a bit more on American made products) that I can afford to purchase a hand crafted Uke. In the meantime I have already picked up a soprano Uke ( mahogany but Chinese made) from Goodwill for only a few dollars. And am getting for Christmas a used Uke off of EBay. So even though they originally were purchased overseas I am still helping other Americans. Sorry but to me US based companies having products manufactured overseas do not count. Cheap labor=greater profits. I personally have issues with buying mainland Chinese products because of their copyright violations. Many an artist friend of mine is now working a service job because their designs and patents were ripped off...copied...then sold as cheap imitations at department stores and Flea markets.

So folks in the UK, Thailand, Australia, etc. should try to buy ukulele made in their respective countries? What about tuners, strings, cases, humidifiers and all the other uke accessories? I do not mean to be argumentative, but the implications of what you suggest are significant.

We in the U.S. are fortunate there are so many talented luthiers building quality ukulele in our country. Those of us who can afford mid to high-end instruments have many choices, but anyone looking for a sub-$300 ukulele does not.

Hi Drew Bear,

I don't think we need to argue. The implications of what I suggested are significant. You are right. We live in a global economy, no doubt. And I have nothing at all against people in other parts of the world making a decent living. In fact, I hope they are. But I do think there are good reasons to try to buy American-made products if you happen to live here. I think this is a very difficult discussion to have in a forum like this. I don't want to create a big political/social/human rights/environmental/whatever argument. But I also don't want to see my position dismissed as silly.

Some people will say that price and quality are the only things that matter. I happen to be one person who thinks there are other considerations. I understand when someone else asks, "Who is making instruments in the United States?" I want to know the same thing. I want to support those people if I can. It's the same reason I try to buy locally grown produce down at the farmers market, or why I'm buying my wife some locally made clothing for Christmas. I am not going to apologize for that.

I'm a professional musician. I very clearly understand the economics of acquiring intruments. It is extremely difficult to make a go of being a professional musician in the USA. Most of the people I know who are playing music full-time are not playing boutique, professional grade instruments. They simply can't afford them. It's a tough thing. They might play - like I do - USA Martin guitars, but not the fancy models. Probably solid wood 1, 15, or 16 series instruments. Or they might play the lower end Taylors. Or, like me again, they often buy used instruments. Or maybe they play an imported guitar because they know they are going to work it hard and can't afford to replace a $1000 instrument. That's the way it goes. (BTW I'm using guitars as my example because there are no professional ukulele players in my town.) In my case, I need a number of instruments to do my thing. Over time I have been able to acquire USA-made instruments - mandolins, banjo, guitars - that are appropriate for my work. I'm fortunate, but I also did a lot of homework and kept my eyes open for good deals.

There are many affordable, quality USA instruments out there. Deering makes a Good-time banjo. Mike Dulak makes a very nice Big Muddy mandolin. Godin makes very nice, affordable guitars in Canada. I own or have owned these instruments, and I always recommend them to people looking into starter instruments. I'd be curious to know if there is a ukulele maker doing something comparable to these instrument makers. I got a good deal on my Ko'olau, but I realize it is still out of some people's range.

My daughter (seven years-old) plays a Chinese violin that was completely overhauled - fingerboard and neck reshaped, new bridge, new strings - by a local violin builder. There is no American-made violin that I'm aware of that I could really afford to buy for my daughter, especially considering how many different sizes she is going to go through as she grows. So that was my compromise. She needs an instrument if she is going to play. And I wanted her to have one. We compromise.

There are many affordable, quality USA instruments out there. Deering makes a Good-time banjo. Mike Dulak makes a very nice Big Muddy mandolin. Godin makes very nice, affordable guitars in Canada. I own or have owned these instruments, and I always recommend them to people looking into starter instruments. I'd be curious to know if there is a ukulele maker doing something comparable to these instrument makers. I got a good deal on my Ko'olau, but I realize it is still out of some people's range.

I'd say Flukes/Fleas are the best comparison in the ukulele world. And they're great ukes!

Hi Drew Bear,

I don't think we need to argue...We compromise.
Hi, Chuck. I think we are mostly in agreement. Specifically for ukulele, we Americans are the fortunate ones. As for other products...we'll leave that for other forums.

I'd be curious to know if there is a ukulele maker doing something comparable to these instrument makers.
Here's a partial list of custom luthiers (most in the U.S.): http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?12834-A-Partial-List-of-Custom-Builders

For Soprano & Concert ukes, a number of them have very reasonable prices for this level of musical instrument. I think Brad Donaldson starts out in the $300 range. Duane at Black Bear Ukes currently has a solid koa Soprano for less than $500. Dave at Waverly St. Ukes just posted a couple of instruments a bit below $300.

We agree these are still beyond the budget of many people. For these folks "saving up" for a quality uke is not a realistic possibility. Something will always come up to drain the uke piggy bank. Made in not-USA is their only option.

As a small business person, I am frustrated in trying to get all domestic parts for my product. I am buying from domestic distributors, but there just isn't anybody making these materials domestically anymore. When I try to find small business machinery that would help me with assembling my product in higher quantities, I can't find what I need here in the US. I would love something simple like a foot operated hole puncher that is small enough to use in my apartment (I really can't justify the expense of renting a workshop yet). It looks like China has them, but nothing domestic. I ended up buying something else, which will do, but is not the ideal tool for the task.

I hope that we can move manufacturing back to the US, but people will have to get over the "bargain" economy that we have from decades of cheap imports. Only the government can change the balance of export/import, and that gets very complicated. If they really want to stimulate the economy, we need to be making manufacturing machinery domestically, and opening up domestic factories again. Before all the athletic shoes were made in Asia, they used to be made in the New England area of the US. We have a long history of manufacturing in many industries that we have turned our backs on, and I think we can rebuild it using new technology to prevent the side effects of pollution and worker fatigue. We pushed manufacturing away decades ago because it was bad for the environment, and there were desperate people on the other side of the world needing opportunities to have a better economy.

It is a complicated world we live in, and we are all connected now. I am grateful that we can buy an inexpensive import so that people can get started in music. We have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages carefully before we get too indignant about imports. Without affordable entry level instruments, the demand for higher end instruments will be greatly reduced.

–Lori

You mean, Kama Aina Hawai'ians or native Hawai'ians? Cause there are a lot more of the former (like Kanile'a, Kamaka, Ko'olau, and KoAloha owners) than there are of the latter.

yes, I don't think there is much of a case for native Hawaiians since the ukulele was not native to the Hawaiian culture. The early Portugese brought what was the prototype for what would eventually be the ukulele to Hawaii. But the original question in this threat was "American made" and with all of the great luthiers building throughout the US- it most certainly be great to support their efforts.

yes, I don't think there is much of a case for native Hawaiians since the ukulele was not native to the Hawaiian culture. The early Portugese brought what was the prototype for what would eventually be the ukulele to Hawaii. But the original question in this threat was "American made" and with all of the great luthiers building throughout the US- it most certainly be great to support their efforts.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Native Hawai'ians can't make a uke because they aren't of Portuguese ancestry? Or that if they do make one, it's not really made in America?

If it's the former, then perhaps the guy in Seattle, or Chicago, or Jacksonville who isn't of Portuguese descent maybe ought not to be building 'ukuleles since, as you said, the uke is an instrument that comes from the Portuguese culture.

If it's the latter, well, that's something I'll presume you didn't mean.

Rick what kind of tuners do you put on your ukes? I looked on your website but didn't see a hint about the tuners. I may have missed it.

Compass Rose Ukuleles use Gotoh open back geared tuners, unless the customer requests something else.

Top Bottom