#4 ULO journal

The plane I got is a a Lie-nielsen low angle jack plane.
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=62
It is very expensive, but worthy to me. I have enjoyed it anytime I use it.

As for the tape method, I have learned it from Master Allen of Barron River Guitars. Here is an old thread discussing different joining methods. Allen mentioned how he does the tape method.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...estions-about-jointing-two-book-matched-board
Thank You very much, Allen's information cleared up my confusion. Your info on the plane is exactly what I have been looking at, but since I am so new at using a plane I may look for a vintage Stanley to start with. Your build is looking great and I am looking forward to the finished uke.

I decided to glue on the bridge before I apply finish this time. But I forgot to take a picture for it, so I took some pictures after the finish is apply to show how I did it.

I saw this method from another thread here.
I basically just clamped from out side and insert a prop that I made in between the back and the bridge plate as a support.

P1160048.jpgP1160052.jpg
the small prop in the picture is what I inserted in between the bridge plate and the back. The reason of doing this is to prevent the top from sinking down when I clamp the bridge.
I did observe some sinking while clamping, even though there was a prop underneath. After I removed the clamp, the top did recover back.

Gluing bridge is kind of tricky. I am hoping to learn different methods from you guys....

Completed!!

Dear all,
thank you all for your comments.
here are a few pictures of the completed uke.
I used tru-oil for finishing. Total 6 coats.

P1160054.jpgP1160057.jpgP1160071.jpgP1160086.jpg

Very nice result!! Thanks for sharing your build photos. It's very useful to see how others do things.

Looks great, and I like seeing what can be done with mainly hand tools. I also use Tru-oil and Thanks for showing us the build.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone on the forum.

Top Bottom