Nut / saddle Gauge for 4 string instruments

maybe mandolins can be ok with it what size are the nuts?

Smallest is 1" but 1.0625" to 1.125" seems to be the norm. I'm happy with the SM ruler to draw out my nuts on my single course strings but I could see a lot of value in your tool for laying out paired courses on mandolins.

Smallest is 1" but 1.0625" to 1.125" seems to be the norm. I'm happy with the SM ruler to draw out my nuts on my single course strings but I could see a lot of value in your tool for laying out paired courses on mandolins.
....when fully closed the gauge points shoud be at .025" pitch..so it will handle a 1" neck ..when fully open it's around 4 1/2" big enough for a Double Bass bridge. :)

Last edited:
I am very fortunate to have one of these and fully endorse it. It is a genius tool and i hope you charge at least $60 for one because the time saving and accuracy of these things cannot be matched!

Ken,

any chance of getting one of those?

Mince meat is a misnomer - it is in fact a sweet pie with currents, raisins, suet and all sorts of other stuff but no meat. Ahhh the Englsih language :)

I'm not kidding about buying two, I know Gordon and I will both want one. $60 works for the labor saved .
A

Well thats two done !..I've still got a few bugs to sort out on the manufacturing side.. and then find a way to make e'm quicker and little less costly.
Co's i'm still working with machinary and tools from the early 1900's. :)
PICT0002-8.jpg

Send me the lathe... Old pal. Seriously though, I have a secret contraption of my own that does the trick. But not as good looking as yours.

There cannot be any argument over a hefty price on these - it is a time consumming piece of engineering and assembly with all those small parts to turn and thread;the arms to precision mark and drill and the rivetting of them also. When using mine it takes just 5 seconds to accurately mark out any nut width and if you do bespoke non CNC work like most of us here, you will wonder what you did when you didn't have one! I hope Ken goes into production with these. If he made a six position model and cranked them out before the Chinese started to copy them he'd never have to make another ukulele in his life! It is my 'must have' tool next to my knife and Fretmaster...

You got it right Pete there is a lot of work in these :agree: I have to cut down the steel strip to rough size with hacksaw then Mill it to final dimensions and drill..make three brass rivets ....Then the eight brass noggins require 6 operations to complete 1 Machine riveting spigot 2 Part off 3 Cross drill 4 Drill end 5 machine dome end 6 Threading for grub screw......then the carbon steel needles are cut to length, points ground, heat treatment (harden and temper)..then assembly, Rivet all the bits together, then re-tap threads to remove burs caused by riveting. then finaly stress relieve with more heat to remove any linear distortion..and finaly fit needles via grubscrews and make any fine adjustments needed.

Last edited:
And that is why you CHARGE for them Ken or get the parts chunked out by a CNC production company leaving assembly and heat treatment to yourself. Of course i can say this being the recipient of your amazing largesse... still think a 6 position model will keep you into your old age :) :) It's the idea we all wish we had.

Top Bottom