Face palm moment RE short scale basses

OldePhart

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been bemoaning the fact that my deteriorating hands (well, that raises an ugly picture - it's not THAT bad) are forcing me to give up my beloved Conklin Groove Tools 5-string in favor of a short scale bass. Also bemoaning the difficulty of finding a really nice short scale bass without spending a couple of grand for a custom.

Last night I'm drifting off to sleep when I realized that I ALREADY have a great short scale bass. If, instead of thinking of the GT-5 as a rumble monster I instead stay at the fifth fret and above, I've basically got a bass with great action and the same range as a 4-string bass with a mere 25" scale!

I just have to rethink the way I approach certain runs and do more stuff laterally across the fretboard instead of sliding up and down.

My next major project is to give up chasing parked cars... :)

John

Well, that's not quite true... with a regular bass, playing from the fifth fret up the neck, your lowest note will be an A. On a real short-scale bass, it will be an E. I'm a fan of short scale basses, but am having a problem finding one up here in Canada. What I REALLY want is a 25" scale six-string bass...

I'm guessing the GT-5 is a five string bass with a low B?
Right. Guess I should have been clearer on that. :)

I wish that Conklin had a Groove Tools 6-string. Unfortunately, they jump from 5 to 7 - and the seven string is just too heavy and the strings are too close together. A GT-6 would be perfect. (Well, even better would be if I could afford a Conklin custom shop bass.) I've been in his shop in MO and some of the stuff he makes is just incredible.

John

I have also strung my fours in BEAD just for the ease of playing from the fifth fret and up. Very comfortable

Top Bottom