Merry Christmas and Happy New Uke Day!

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been a good boy this year, so I told Steedy Claus all I want for Christmas is one of those Kamaka longneck concert ukuleles that have recently appeared on Earth.

Lo and behold, one arrived today on a big brown sleigh!

Here are the very first pics:

015.jpg016.jpg018.jpg021.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on NUD! Be sure to send us more photo inside!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Uke Day to you too!

Aloha Steedy!
Congratulations on your New Uke Day! She's a beauty. Looks to be a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Enjoy your new Kamaka and keep on strumming.

Mason671

Wow, I can't believe it! I haven't played it, or even tuned it yet, but it looks amazing! Well, it's after midnight locally, so I'm calling it a night. Will post more tomorrow.

Thank you and good night! :)

Congratulations on your new Kamaka! It looks great! I'm sure it'll sound as wonderful as it looks. You're going to have a blast playing it!

Last edited:
What a beautiful instrument! Congratulations and happy holidays.

Thanks guys, but I have to send big mahalos to Andrew, Mike (MGM), and all the fine folks at Hawaii Music Supply! When I saw the new Kamaka long-necks at the HMS site, I phoned and spoke with Andrew, who patiently and courteously answered all my questions and explained everything about ordering from them. Just like everyone else I've encountered in the world of ukes thus far, it was a pleasure doing business with HMS.

Within a couple of days, I received a shipping confirmation with UPS tracking number, so I eagerly followed the uke's progress from Honolulu to my doorstep. First, it hopped across the ocean in about four hours, then it went to Canada for two days! (Ontario, CA - that's Canda, eh? LOL) Then the boys in brown drove it from CA to TN, and one week after ordering, to my front door.

I'm kinda thrilled with my purchase, but as a beginner I feel humbled and not worthy of such an instrument, and I can't do it justice yet. The plan is to give my Kamaka a good home, and care for it until someday I can play it somewhat proficiently, which is going to take a lot of practice, believe me!

Last edited:
What the heck? It has to come into Canada to go back into the USofA? That's just crazy! It should have came to my doorstep then! haha :)

I think it actually went to Ontario, California, in the USA. Please excuse my feeble attempt at comedy.

Looks like you have been VERY good this year! Congratulations - it's a beauty!

Beautiful instrument! It will surely make you smile every time you pick it up.

Congratulations, that is an amazing looking uke!!! :drool:

Congratulations...I am so jealous...wow wee... I got my present a month early too and this is making me want to gift myself another one..ha ha

This weekend I played a few of my Oscar Schmidt ukes and then played my new Kamaka. Wow, there's no comparison! The Kamaka feels light as a feather yet somehow very sturdy. The Oscars are pretty and have a nice sound, but the Kamaka is something else. The action is a little high, but the intonation is perfect and there's not a hint of fret buzz anywhere. The Kamaka strings feel a little hard, but I wanted to try them before switching to something else.

Looks: Aside from the headstock logo, there's no bling. However, the wood and finish is amazing. The grain is awesome with long stripes of alternating light and dark koa, perfectly symmetrical on both top and back. Also, the top and back seem to have quadrants of offsetting light and dark areas which change depending on the light and viewpoint. It's almost like a hologram. From some angles the upper left and lower right areas look darker, but from another angle they look lighter.

Sound: Loud, clear, and bright! Single notes pop like firecrackers and chords explode like fireworks shells. Even the sounds of my left hand moving on the neck and strings are clearly audible. Can't wait to hear how this baby sounds with a little age and different strings.

I don't have a camcorder, but hope to get one after New Years, so maybe I can upload some samples before long. Meanwhile, here's a few more pics:

106.jpg

109-2.jpg

112.jpg

115.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
I assume that you still use the factory default strings... which I don't like much personally. Maybe the higher action is due to the strings... if you have spare strings, try another set on it. Maybe there is a difference.

On the other hands, my kamaka strings on the HF-3 are just fine, even I swapped them out to try something new later. Above comment is just for the concert. *not all* sizes of Kamaka ukes.

Top Bottom