Join KIVA and win a Mainland

I just donated! This is a great organization, and I'm excited that I could contribute to Gladys Maria Peñafiel Maria in Ecuador. Thanks, Matt Lindahl for letting me know about this, and thanks Mike for putting the group together. :)

Joined and made a loan to a man in Kenya. This is his third load,
so he must be doing something right. He is into Water distribution.
You need water for drinking, cooking, washing, irrigation, so I reckon
he is on a winner. Clean water is one of the world's biggest needs.

Thanks, Mike.

Great idea with a great incentive to participate. Interestingly, joining Kiva has made me more conscious of he volunteer work I can do in my back yard, Emerson-style.

Done! That was my thirteenth loan. :)

Last edited:
Hi Hoosierhiver,

I just want to say that you have my full respect for doing what you've done with this competition. I'm an avid "amateur philanthropist" and I'm always keen to find new ways in which to contribute towards positive change in our global community. I've done - and continue to do - a lot of volunteer and charity work and I find it to be a very rewarding occupation indeed. I'd not come heard of Kiva before I came across this contest just the other day and I must say that I'm completely taken by the organisation, its structure and its goals. I had already heard of - and investigated - the microfinancing movement but until yesterday had not gotten involved myself. Now having joined Kiva, I'm very excited about the level of change I can contribute towards achieving within the program and I have you and your contest thread to thank for it.

Basically what I'm getting at here is that your involvement in - and endorsement of - such a magnanimous program speaks more for yourself and your brand than any advertising or outside endorsements could ever achieve. When it comes to ukuleles, I'm resolute in my decision that Mainland is "my brand" from now on. I love the fact that the Mainland brand is associated with something far dearer to my heart that simply materials/craftsmanship/construction.

Oh, and by the way, currently Team UPUTDWS is at position #10 on Kiva's team rankings for total loans! Awesome work, everyone!

Cheers & Peace,
Ash

A man in Senegal was able to buy fishing nets due in part to our loan.

This one's close to the heart because my stepdaughter's father is originally from Senegal.

Have joined Kiva and the team and made my first 3 loans!

Thanks Mike for getting this going and congratulations Carmina!

I've got $50 out to Augustine in West Point, Monrovia, Liberia - a severely impoverished neighborhood I have visited. My church's denomination recently built and is funding an elementary school within walking distance of Augustine's shop.

Awesome!

Just joined this and made a loan. What a great and simple way to make a difference in the life of another.

Just used repayments from prior loans to make a new one! Thanks for telling us about this Great program, Mike!

I knew it was too late to win, but seeing this thread bubble up reminded me about Kiva. The timing was right so I made my first loan. Thanks for the nudge!

awareness

Thanks, Mike.

Great idea with a great incentive to participate. Interestingly, joining Kiva has made me more conscious of he volunteer work I can do in my back yard, Emerson-style.

I have the same experience! I am helping with a fundraiser for a colleague from a place I worked 20 years ago. She's got stage 4 cancer and she and her husband were wiped out financially in 2009. I've been prodding my friends and acquaintances to do gofundme (crowdfunding) and we raised almost 6k of the 35k for med expenses needed in a month. Because of Kiva and the UU challenges, I knew to make constant reminders to friends that ANY donation will do good.

Top Bottom