It's Here! New Old Uke Day!

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
It arrived this morning! Here are pictures (in no particular order). It's a late '20s (I believe) Martin Style 3M! Whoo-hoo! Some pics of it next to my other Martins, with its "case", and with my Kiwaya KTS-7.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
It's a little dusty and smudgy, but seems to be in good shape over all. There are a few little scuffs on the sides where the snaps of its old gig bag rubbed it, but nothing major at all. No cracks that I can see. The screws in the tuners are kind of corroded, and, of course, loose. I hope I can tighten them without ruining the slots. I'll try to get it cleaned up and restrung this evening. It's got a pretty nice sound even with whatever ancient strings are currently on it.

Now I guess I need to get a decent case for it. I obviously can't keep it in that disgusting old bag!

Aloha Chris..
Hey Bruddah..WOW ....You really scored....it's in great shape and cleaned up nicely...I am jealous.. can't wait for a video to see and hear it...Have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Just LOVELY! In great shape - gonna be a sweet player as well.

Great uke, Chris! I'm sure you'll love it. Mine is the same vintage, and what a joy to play. In my opinion, the Style 3 is a perfect ukulele. You just need a Style 5 now...if you are one of those folks who need closure.

Great uke, Chris! I'm sure you'll love it. Mine is the same vintage, and what a joy to play. In my opinion, the Style 3 is a perfect ukulele. You just need a Style 5 now...if you are one of those folks who need closure.

Oddly, I still don't have a Style 0 either. I wonder which of those two I can score first? I agree about the Style 3 being a perfect uke. I have loved that look since I first started playing. That's why I bought the Kiwaya.... and I have a plan for a custom based on a Style 3, but with tortoiseshell in place of the ivoroid stuff. EVERYWHERE... binding, fingerboard stripes and parend. On a light colored figured koa. I even have a maker in mind. But that will have to wait a while now. I hadn't planned on this purchase!

Last edited:
Sorry to get to this thread a bit late....was on vacation in Kauai.

What a beautiful ukulele you got! I am really happy for you. What are you using to clean it. If you want the cleaner I use, let me know. It works wonders beyond everything else I have tried on vintage ukuleles.

Enjoy that beautiful ukulele!

Sorry to get to this thread a bit late....was on vacation in Kauai.

What a beautiful ukulele you got! I am really happy for you. What are you using to clean it. If you want the cleaner I use, let me know. It works wonders beyond everything else I have tried on vintage ukuleles.

Enjoy that beautiful ukulele!

I'd like to know what you use. I've been using Virtuoso with excellent results, but I'm always interested in trying different products.

Chris, you got that uke at a very good price! Double the pleasure, I'm sure.

Be careful with the tuners. Make sure that the screwdriver you use is as closely fit to the slot as possible. It is possible to find replacement screws for them if they are stripped. I found some at my local hardware store. They are "micro" screws. I can get the dimensions to you if you need them. PM me.

Here's a little video of it. Keep in mind, these are the unknown strings it shipped with. They feel very old. I made a video on my computer earlier that was more of a review/commentary, but it hasn't shown up on my YouTube channel yet for some reason. I shot this one on my iPhone, so the quality might not be so great.

Chris, you got that uke at a very good price! Double the pleasure, I'm sure.

Be careful with the tuners. Make sure that the screwdriver you use is as closely fit to the slot as possible. It is possible to find replacement screws for them if they are stripped. I found some at my local hardware store. They are "micro" screws. I can get the dimensions to you if you need them. PM me.

Here are the two different styles of tuners we discussed in our PMs (I couldn't seem to get the images in the PM, but I'm tech-challenged!). The foreground of the shot with both headstocks is the Style 3, while the single headstock is the Style 2.

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom