Kala KA-C vs Cordoba 15CM

Reaction score
hi all, need yr opinion on which one to get?

Kala KA-C or Cordoba 15CM?? I am still learning to play the ukulele and appreciate all the help I can get.

Which is better in terms of sound/built/quality?

I actually got the Cordoba but was thinking of changing it with the KA-C...coz it looks nicer;)...but i might regret this..so need yr help! thanks in advance! :eek:

but the salesperson said that the cordoba15cm sounds better than the kala ka-c in her opinion...help..my fickle mind..

Uhm, I have not played cordobas before except for one quick in a while back. But I remember thinking they were overpriced... Probably cause Cordoba is a guitar company. Don't get me wrong they make good guitars but....

Kalas are a solid entry level uke. I have 3 and like them all. And bing their main product, they are reasonably priced, and quite popular.

The ultimate test is which one sounds better to you. Have the sales person or someone else play them both so you can hear how,they sound. You can't judge as well when you are the one playing.

Good luck,
Ivan

I've never heard that Kala engages in deceptive advertising. On the other hand Cordoba has been advertising ukuleles as solid wood that in fact were laminate back and sides. There are still merchants that advertise Cordoba ukuleles as solid wood even though Cordoba has made corrections on its own website. Give your money to a company you can trust. I won't even bother with the absurd notion of Portugese koa !

So currently is Kala 2-0 Cordoba. Thanks for the input guys...kinda leaning towards kala now..

but in the same time lots of ppl say cordoba sounds goood...

any other opinions?

I have a Cordoba tenor....always amazes me how good it sounds. I agree they are a little overpriced, and not as pretty as the Kala. How about an Islander from a company that does a great set up?

I have a Cordoba tenor....always amazes me how good it sounds. I agree they are a little overpriced, and not as pretty as the Kala. How about an Islander from a company that does a great set up?

hahah...not another one to consider....i am already torn between this two...but I don't think they have islander in the shop though...

Uhm, I have not played cordobas before except for one quick in a while back. But I remember thinking they were overpriced... Probably cause Cordoba is a guitar company. Don't get me wrong they make good guitars but....

Kalas are a solid entry level uke. I have 3 and like them all. And bing their main product, they are reasonably priced, and quite popular.

The ultimate test is which one sounds better to you. Have the sales person or someone else play them both so you can hear how,they sound. You can't judge as well when you are the one playing.

Good luck,
Ivan

the funny thing is...the cordoba is selling for $169 Singaporean dollars where as the Kala KA-C is going for $199 Singaporean dollars. Hmmmm..

i decided to stick with the cordoba 15cm. after testing both out again at the shop..i prefer the sound of cordoba. it is much nicer...plus the cordoba finishing is somewhat smoother than the kala which has a rougher sturdier feel though...

thanks again guys.

I'll weigh in and make it as confusing as I can. I've bought one Cordoba. It was a Concert. I returned it the same day. The intonation was so bad that when each string was in tune (according to the electronic tuner) there was not one octave or unison that lined up. Not even close!!! Chords sounded like a mish-mash of noise. Remember, these are factory produced so will all be pretty much the same. I tried to temper the tuning to make it play in at least one key. IMPOSSIBLE.
I've had five Kalas. I admit my needs for good intonation most people might consider unreasonable. So, although I've sold them all off, I will say that I was able to work with their intonation weaknesses. Even used a couple of them in performance. And, the Kalas are mass produced. I had one of their cheapest mahogany models and kept trading up, till I had the solid acacia concert (one of their top of the line instruments). They are very very consistent. For entry level ukuleles, I think they are about the best out there. But, the Acacia front seam split and opened up about 1/16th of an inch before it was six months old. A pretty bad defect for a ukulele kept in a humidified case in a humidified house! I also have a friend who had a Kala curly mango soprano, and the neck came loose within a few months. But, to be fair, Kala gave neither one of us any trouble returning our instruments.

OK, I'll jump in - late. I've had several Kalas, including a solid spruce top, and I have a Cordoba 20TM-CE. I gave both Kalas away - they just didn't sound right to my ear. I still have my Cordoba 2 years after purchasing it, and it is hands down one of the sweetest voiced ukes I have. I also have several Makala Dolphins (Makala is Kalas' lower end wingman). My Dolphins outpace most of my more expensive ukes. From my own experience, if I want another solid top uke, I would not hesitate to get another Cordoba. I will never waste another penny on a Kala, though I am always on the lookout for a good deal on the Makala Dolphins!

OK, I'll jump in - late. I've had several Kalas, including a solid spruce top, and I have a Cordoba 20TM-CE. I gave both Kalas away - they just didn't sound right to my ear. I still have my Cordoba 2 years after purchasing it, and it is hands down one of the sweetest voiced ukes I have. I also have several Makala Dolphins (Makala is Kalas' lower end wingman). My Dolphins outpace most of my more expensive ukes. From my own experience, if I want another solid top uke, I would not hesitate to get another Cordoba. I will never waste another penny on a Kala, though I am always on the lookout for a good deal on the Makala Dolphins!

FYI: Necroposting on a 6 yr old thread since any activity, I doubt you are going to get any meaningful replies here, i.e.:

'that ship has sailed' long ago and I've not ever seen the OP make any posts in the 4 yrs I've been on UU...

Top Bottom