classical guitar to ukulele

dancingflee

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Yes, from classical guitar to ukulele and my problem is I can't seem to find a comfortable way of holding the uke so I may be able to fret without the instrument sliding down from my chest to my belly.

Is there proper playing position for the ukulele?

HELP!

i found a strap the best way to go.

If you're sitting, then resting the lower bout on your thigh works pretty well - at least if you've got a tenor.

But if that isn't the case, it just takes some practice. Get the okole nice and snug against your strumming elbow, and gently squeeze it against your chest/upper abdomen. Ideally, you should be able to release either hand & arm completely and still have the 'ukulele remain in place.

If that isn't working, try the Uke Leash (www.ukeleash.com) Lori (a UUer) sells these and they are great.

Baritone uke. Restring and tune it to GCEA. Attach Gitano guitar support or use mandolin strap as earlier suggested for neck-up angle.

Done.

Welcome to UU dancingflee!

I came from a classical guitar background also. A strap is the way to go. You can have a music shop install a strap button for you and get a mandolin strap, or you can try my Uke Leash ukulele half strap, which doesn't need a strap button, or sound hole hook, or adhesives. It can be converted to a full strap if you have a strap button with the Strap Button Adapter accessory.

–Lori

I play the guitar also and was never able to play without a strap even when seated. I have strap buttons installed on my ukes. I just ordered a couple of ukes from HMS, and they installed the strap buttons free of charge.

If your ukulele doesn't have a strap button, try a Uke Leash. It will make an immediate difference. And, like Lori says above, you can always convert the Uke Leash to a full strap if you later install a strap button or get a ukulele that has one.

i have santa's tummy so i rest my little soprano in my belly

I come from guitar too, and one particular issue is that we guitarists tend to play/strum over or near the soundhole, and then there's not enough ukulele body back at the elbow.. so it's difficult to hold the ukulele steady. Instead, many 'native' ukulele players will strum somewhere near where the neck meets the body, and can then hold the ukulele body steady with the elbow, or at least with the more fleshy part of the forearm or upper arm, all depending on exactly how they hold it.

I find that I can't really adjust well to strum or fingerpick with the hand over the fretboard instead of over the soundhole.. I'm too used to have some free space below the strings, for one thing. So what I do is that if I play a small-bodied instrument I tend to sit down, the more relaxed the position is the easier it is to hold the instrument. If I stand up I would use the tenor instead, with its bigger body.

-Tor

Folks, I really appreciate your suggestions and I will try each and every one of them but the strap is out of the question for lack of a strap pin. I am a little hesitant to have one installed. I am happy I bought a tenor not a soprano or I might go bananas. At any rate, the challenge is good and I will take that challenge, that is to tame this tenor after which I may learn to teach it to sing.

That's why you need to look at either the Uke Leash or Uke Thong... neither will need the install of anything on your uke, and if used with care, they will not mar your instrument at all... especially the Leash.

I too play classical guitar, and have settled on the leash as it frees up my hand completely and I can use the same technique that I use on my much bigger instrument.

Folks, I really appreciate your suggestions and I will try each and every one of them but the strap is out of the question for lack of a strap pin. I am a little hesitant to have one installed. I am happy I bought a tenor not a soprano or I might go bananas. At any rate, the challenge is good and I will take that challenge, that is to tame this tenor after which I may learn to teach it to sing.

Top Bottom