Do you memorize songs?

julie

Reaction score
Is it 'bad' that I have a really terrible memory and always need to look at tabs to play a song? I seem to have no trouble remembering parts of songs, but to sit down and play a whole song from start to finish without looking / cheating is hard for me. What do you think?

Regards,
Julie Strietelmeier
http://the-gadgeteer.com
http://ukulelereview.com

I had a hard time doing this too, but I found that if I played the song enough, I'll remember just by muscle memory.

you just not playing it enough or havent played long enough, it takes time for some.

I dont even need an uke to play or learn songs, lol!

I think the problem is that I have only ever played by myself, so I've gotten into bad habits of not playing songs all the way through when I sit down to practice. I tend to play a song till I make a mistake and then I'll either go back to the start or start playing something else.

It takes me awhile to learn a song all the way through w/out looking at tabs and chords IF I've learned the song myself by looking at tabs and chords. Depending on my level of motivation, it could take me a few hours or several months. If I don't play through the songs I've already learned regularly, I lose 'em.

But, if I learn something by watching someone else, I never need the tabs or chords to begin with. Dominator's video instruction for 'Something' comes to mind.

When I have taught myself a song by looking at tab, I never feel as though I truly "own" the song until I can play it without looking at the tab. When I can do that, I'm more able to feel the song and use the ukulele to a fuller extent for interpretation.

When I have taught myself a song by looking at tab, I never feel as though I truly "own" the song until I can play it without looking at the tab. When I can do that, I'm more able to feel the song and use the ukulele to a fuller extent for interpretation.

That is exactly what I am experiencing.

I think the problem is that I have only ever played by myself, so I've gotten into bad habits of not playing songs all the way through when I sit down to practice. I tend to play a song till I make a mistake and then I'll either go back to the start or start playing something else.

This is me in a nutshell. :( Lyrics are by far the worst part for me, though. My last rendition of "I'm Yours" contained "You fell into a crack / So I looked at your face and I laughed."

Julie, if it's important to you to memorize songs, then you have to play them over and over until you remember them. You'll find that it gets easier with time.

Part of it is simply developing your ear, which comes with time and practice.

After all, you don't have to work on memorizing the melody to a song you're singing, do you? You just sing it. Same with playing, to a certain extent. You play the right chords/notes just because that's what it sounds like you should play. Work on your ear, and your memory will follow!

Around here in Nashville, we have something called the "Nashville Number System". It's a way of notating the chords to a song using numbers instead of letter names. It stresses the function of the chord in the key, instead of the name of the chord. My ability to "hear" chords improved by leaps and bounds the more I read/played/wrote number charts.

JJ

When I started gigging in clubs here in the UK you wouldn't be seen dead with a pusic stand - now it's almost obligatory. My mate Sid has a 1000 songs in his head - does a great show.

If I get really into a song, I just keep playing it over and over, so inevitably I memorize it. But I wouldn't worry about it if you don't remember songs right away. A lot of times I play with the music in front of me but I only look down if I forget something or for the parts that I'm not sure about. You might be able to gradually memorize something this way. Just play the first few lines, and then look back at the music. Do that for a while, and eventually you can add a couple more lines on.

Hey, that's how I memorized the bill of rights in gradeschool, come to think of it.

Start memorizing songs and lyrics! You do not want to end up like I was a few months ago, having a bunch of half-memorized songs in your head and not being able to pull them off on the spot if asked to play something. Become a walking jukebox. It's the difference between being someone who just noodles in front of the TV and being a real, performance-level musician.

Pro-tip: If you have an mp3 player that you listen to regularly or a CD player in your car, make a playlist of a bunch of songs you want to memorize lyrics to and put in on there. The act of waiting for a bus or driving to the store becomes free study time. Sing along even, if no one's around. Much easier and more reliable than sitting at a computer trying to cram a long lyric sheet into your head all at once.

Is it 'bad' that I have a really terrible memory and always need to look at tabs to play a song? I seem to have no trouble remembering parts of songs, but to sit down and play a whole song from start to finish without looking / cheating is hard for me. What do you think?

Regards,
Julie Strietelmeier
http://the-gadgeteer.com
http://ukulelereview.com

practice ;)

Depends on several things, not least of all the particular song. Some songs I can memorize easily - I've played guitar more than 40 years so I have some practice at it. There are some songs whose chord progressions lend themselves to memorization. Others I need a hint or even the entire tablature to play, even if I work at them.

Generally if I play a song often enough, it finds a memory groove in which I will eventually remember it without prompting. What's annoying is that I can still play songs I learned in the 60s and 70s without hesitation, but that new songs I'm working witrh are often much more of a struggle to commit to the memory bank.

I have a good memory for patterns and shapes. I don't get lost easily, I find my way easily in FPS and RPG games, I do well in recognition tests. I remember the location of books in my collection by the pattern of the shelf. That makes it easy to memorize chord patterns.

Of course, I am of the age when memorization was common in schools. We learned to memorize large poems, or pieces of poems, or soliloquies from Shakespeare. That really helped because I can memorize lyrics today thanks to that training.

It's not "cheating" to refer to song sheets or tabs. Probably most of us have a library of 30-50 songs we like to play; if you don't play them regularly and frequently, you simply can't remember each one. Use what works, use what makes sense. Keep in mind that actors today don't memorize whole scripts or politicians whole speeches: they have prompters to remind them of their next lines.

Here's an idea: go to a copy shop and photocopy your favourite songs at 25%, then copy them 4 on a page, double sided and cut them into quarters. You can copy them onto card stock or laminate the paper for better stiffness. This will give you small, easily carried song sheets you can put in your case, put on a music stand or in stick into one of those uke clips.

My problem is the opposite--lots of memorization comes easily to me--but I can't play a diddly darn if I'm forced to just "listen" and make it happen by ear. My brain wants to take over because it seems a lot stronger at its skills than my ears are in doing theirs.

Top Bottom