Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you memorize songs?

Default Do you memorize songs?

Is it 'bad' that I have a really terrible memory and always need to look at tabs to play a song? I seem to have no trouble remembering parts of songs, but to sit down and play a whole song from start to finish without looking / cheating is hard for me. What do you think?

Regards,
    Julie Strietelmeier
    http://the-gadgeteer.com
    http://ukulelereview.com

I had a hard time doing this too, but I found that if I played the song enough, I'll remember just by muscle memory.

you just not playing it enough or havent played long enough, it takes time for some.

I dont even need an uke to play or learn songs, lol!
    Da Papa Gutes Style - YOUTUBE MYSPACE

I think the problem is that I have only ever played by myself, so I've gotten into bad habits of not playing songs all the way through when I sit down to practice. I tend to play a song till I make a mistake and then I'll either go back to the start or start playing something else.

It takes me awhile to learn a song all the way through w/out looking at tabs and chords IF I've learned the song myself by looking at tabs and chords. Depending on my level of motivation, it could take me a few hours or several months. If I don't play through the songs I've already learned regularly, I lose 'em.

But, if I learn something by watching someone else, I never need the tabs or chords to begin with. Dominator's video instruction for 'Something' comes to mind.

When I have taught myself a song by looking at tab, I never feel as though I truly "own" the song until I can play it without looking at the tab. When I can do that, I'm more able to feel the song and use the ukulele to a fuller extent for interpretation.
    Wheel to the storm and fly!

Quote Originally Posted by LonnaB View Post
    When I have taught myself a song by looking at tab, I never feel as though I truly "own" the song until I can play it without looking at the tab. When I can do that, I'm more able to feel the song and use the ukulele to a fuller extent for interpretation.
    That is exactly what I am experiencing.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Knowledge is power - arm yourself

Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    I think the problem is that I have only ever played by myself, so I've gotten into bad habits of not playing songs all the way through when I sit down to practice. I tend to play a song till I make a mistake and then I'll either go back to the start or start playing something else.
    This is me in a nutshell. Lyrics are by far the worst part for me, though. My last rendition of "I'm Yours" contained "You fell into a crack / So I looked at your face and I laughed."

Julie, if it's important to you to memorize songs, then you have to play them over and over until you remember them. You'll find that it gets easier with time.

Part of it is simply developing your ear, which comes with time and practice.

After all, you don't have to work on memorizing the melody to a song you're singing, do you? You just sing it. Same with playing, to a certain extent. You play the right chords/notes just because that's what it sounds like you should play. Work on your ear, and your memory will follow!

Around here in Nashville, we have something called the "Nashville Number System". It's a way of notating the chords to a song using numbers instead of letter names. It stresses the function of the chord in the key, instead of the name of the chord. My ability to "hear" chords improved by leaps and bounds the more I read/played/wrote number charts.

JJ

When I started gigging in clubs here in the UK you wouldn't be seen dead with a pusic stand - now it's almost obligatory. My mate Sid has a 1000 songs in his head - does a great show.

Thread Information