sound board splitting?

kaizersoza

Reaction score
hi guys, apart from the obvious how can you tell if there is a split developing in the soundboard, i have just been playing my mainland red cedar tenor and i have noticed a a dent in the soundboard running from the bridge toward the end of the lower bout, its quite a deepish dent and i can't say i have noticed this before, pelase help panic is setting in!!!!!!

kaizer

Borrow a small torch, place the lighted end inside the soundhole, switch on, in a darkened room. Can you see light through the suspected crack?

Even so, if the seam is folding inwards, that's not good news. Pictures would help decide if its OK or something to worry about. If experts here think it looksworrying, send the pictures to Mainland to see what they think.

I won't speculate on the cause, because it might be nothing at all. You're in Swansea, so unless your house is heated to US standards I doubt it's lack of humidity.

Hi ProfChris, it would be hard to get a pic of the dent, you can only see it when you angle the uke to the light, you can feel the dent quite prominently, i msged Mike at Mainland and he has reassured me that if it becomes a problem to get in touch with him, i will try the torch tomorrow thanx for the advice
kaizer

Good luck mate - hope it isn't terminal!!

Merry Xmas

Roberta

i ain't havin much luck with this uke Roberta, I bought it from a music shop in England, it was brand new, when it arrived it was slightly damaged (dented on the back) during delivery, then had a buzz from the saddle and now this, not a happy bunny

have a great christmas Roberta

richard

Last edited:
:eek:UH ! May I suggest a small light bulb and or something like a small Mag Light with the lens cap screwed off rather than a TORCH ? :eek:

:eek:UH ! May I suggest a small light bulb and or something like a small Mag Light with the lens cap screwed off rather than a TORCH ? :eek:

UK/US English again. A Maglite is a torch here. If the OP used a flaming brand, or oxyacetelyne welder, then the soundboard problem has definitely gone away!

I use a high watt nightlight bulb that I jerry-rigged to put into a uke to see the bracing in the dark. Ehn I figure out how to take a good pic I will start adding them to my reviews. But that is what I do. No torches please. maybe some torchlight songs

UPDATE:- well i've managed to get a small torch in the sound hole tonight and there doesn't seem to be any light showing through the dent, so fingers crossed, it looks ok

Top Bottom