Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginning guitar purchase. Acoustic vs electric?

Default Beginning guitar purchase. Acoustic vs electric?

I'm wondering what is good to start with. I have a friend who is very talented, and teaches occasionally on the side, and he recommended that I start with an electric (Which IS what he plays though) I was wondering if anyone could give me some pros and cons? I like many different types of music, but I don't plan on singing at all...

Default hmmmmmmmmm

well first of all,
    u can find an acoustic anywhere for a very good price
    and no need wiring and carrying heavy gear
    but u only get like one basic acoustic sound

for electrics
    you hav to buy an amp
    the guitar alone is expensive then a $300 amp thats small as heck
    but u get a plethora of varieties of sounds with it
    but if you rock out to hard()!!!!!!!
    and ur gear breaks and da warranty is over
    u can either get a 400 dollar repair job or buy more expensive gear =(

so to sum it up
    'lectric+amp+a few pedals(0ptional)+more speakers(optional)=a lot of $$$
    acoustic= no stress, a classy acoustic sound on a budget, a traveler, and maybe the ladies that come swooning by ur frikin aWsum talent

but its ur choice
    wateva u pick
    im cool wit it

he iz da bess presadent evah

Dane, an electric is usually easier to play than an acoustic, especially so in the cheap range. The strings are lighter and can be set up a lot lower on an electric. Other than that, it all depends whether you want to have the acoustic sound or the electric sound.

J.J.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ric?sku=519196

You can't lose with this very inexpensive but well built acoustic/electric. Put some lightweight strings on it and learn away. My friend has it and was at a talent show....people with Martins were asking to borrow it for their numbers because it performed so well.
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

One of my J's says:

"Acoustic is good to start out with because it's cheaper and it helps build finger strength, but an electric is easier to play because the neck is thinner and the strings are easier to press and you can buy a cheap electric and amp on eBay for less than $150. "

I have an acoustic classical guitar that he tried for a few months and found it too hard to play bar chords. We got him an electric for X-mas last year and he really loved it. We paid around $400 for a Ibanez, VOX DA5, case, strap, etc.

for the price of one midrange quality acoustic or electric guitar, you can get both an acoustic w/ pickup, an electric, and an amp. all it takes is a little bit of patience and some research to know what you should be looking for in a quality instrument.

examples:
    acoustic: i picked up my crafter acoustic guitar on craigslist for $100. they sell for $350 new. but after doing some research on them i found that they are actually decent guitars. just fairly unknown due to them being manufactured in korea under a well known korean guitar company. mia rose of youtube fame plays a crafter. too easy to find good acoustic guitars for sale for real cheap.
    amp: i got a peavy 15w amp from toys r us, of all places, for $60. for the price, its actually a decent amp. and when Almost Islanders wasnt "Almost Islanders" yet, i actually used that amp on stage at our very first performance as a full band (small venue).
    electric: most people with scoff at you, but if youre just getting into it, you can get a fender squire stratocaster new for about $100-150. do some research on how to set it up. and you'll have a decent guitar that wont get you high fives from eric clapton, but will do the job.

so thats everything you need to experiment with. and it cost less than most brand new ibanez acoustic/elecs.

of course later down the line, you will want to invest in good strings, cords, effects pedals etc. but they are investments into your investments. as long as youve got the tools to start with.

my first guitar was an acoustic guitar with "Fender" on the headstock. i could scratch it off with my nail. it had brass frets. intonation was horrible. the first fret was too far from the nut. it cost $20. but it started my brother and me off with the guitar. and neither of us will ever forget that guitar as much of a POS as it was. we still learned a lot off that sucka.

heres an acoustic i bought to learn on linkage i like it, but ive learned that my fingers are wimpy compared to a guitarists. the action is a little high to me, but ill get over it.
    "It`s great to want to be part of something, but it`s a different thing completely to believe wholly in some type of movement, and to give everything for that something."
    -Brandon Boyd, Incubus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneohe til the end View Post
    heres an acoustic i bought to learn on linkage i like it, but ive learned that my fingers are wimpy compared to a guitarists. the action is a little high to me, but ill get over it.
    Watch out if you get a dreadnought and you're a uke player......their HUGE!
    UWC; only those who have not been can rationalize not going.

Quote Originally Posted by salukulady View Post
    Watch out if you get a dreadnought and you're a uke player......their HUGE!
    How are they compared to the other acoustics? Most of the guitars that I've held have been electric, so I don't really know much.

the best thing to do is go to a music store or guitar shop. you can try many on for size. makes deciding that much easier.

Thread Information