Show and Tell

Interesting to watch how many views this thread is getting compared to the others... kinda seems like I'm invisable. I always wanted to be invisable...
It could be that we're all speechless! Gorgeous work, amigo.

Hey Vic, I like that spalted maple and the inlay is really sweet. Nice neck too...

I'm curious to know what string spacing (and total width) you have at the nut? Personally I like a little more real estate on the fretboard than you normally have on a soprano, so I might pick up on your idea with the slightly wider neck. Though I do wonder about customer acceptance.

Anyway, great work - I can't wait to see the horse - hint, hint... :)

Hi Vic D,

I am not a luthier of any sort, but that is a sweet looking uke you have there!

Are you kidding me? That looks amazing! Let's hear a sound sample!

Looking good Vic! Keep 'em coming!

I don't get the wish for an amateurs forum. Seems like it would be the blind leading the blind. I appreciate the time that the pro's and experts take to share their knowledge with us. Or did you mean that you'd like an amateur's galleryto show off our stuff?
Alan

Very cool. The headstock doesn't do much for me, but that is just a personal preference thing. The body and the work on the neck on the other hand... ooh la la. I keep seeing tidbits of your work floating around and I really like it. Wish there was more around. *hint hint* :)

Hey Vic,
I think the neck is so nicely done. I have always like the way you made the laminate necks.
I will try to do that myself sometime.

And the ebony binding on the headstock is very nice. Not to mention the inlay art...that is crazy cool.
Please keep posting pictures of your works. I am sure that many people enjoyed looking at them.

Merry Christmas..

Thank you! You know, it's not just the stability of the striped neck that makes me do them... I think they're just sexy lol. Merry Christmas!

Really nice work Vic. Love that spalted maple. Nice job on the inlay. Thanks for posting.

I only wish it could have been better bookmatched. The stuff was so beautiful but it ran everywhere you know? I've been keeping an eye out and this type of spalted ambrosia just doesn't come around very often. It's still beautiful stuff. If I had a 100 dollar blade and a heftier bandsaw it might have made a little difference but not much. Thanks for the complement!

It could be that we're all speechless! Gorgeous work, amigo.

:) We're so sorry... Uncle Elvis... but we haven't done a bloody thing all day! lol I dunno, I'm buzzed. Thanks friend! Coming from a ukulele aficionado such as yourself that means a great deal! Keep on plucking! :)

Hi Vic D,

I am not a luthier of any sort, but that is a sweet looking uke you have there!

Oh it's not mine, never was. This belongs to a very dear person who has been very tolerant so far of my meandering, whacky, snails paced proceedings. Thanks so much and Happy Holidays!

Are you kidding me? That looks amazing! Let's hear a sound sample!

I'm thinking I might have to do at least a video with this one before I let it go... seems I stopped short the last time I did the monster mash... which I think is fitting for the season... I've been working on Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy though... hmmm ;) will do. Thanks, and happy hollidays!

Last edited:
Hey Vic, I like that spalted maple and the inlay is really sweet. Nice neck too...

I'm curious to know what string spacing (and total width) you have at the nut? Personally I like a little more real estate on the fretboard than you normally have on a soprano, so I might pick up on your idea with the slightly wider neck. Though I do wonder about customer acceptance.

Anyway, great work - I can't wait to see the horse - hint, hint... :)

The width of the nut is about 1.45". Evidently this is in line with the flea/fluke ukes and some consider it to be a bit wide but I think it's right on. I eyeball a little less than an 8th of an inch on either side, a hair more on the A string due to the tendancy to bend and vibrato there. Then I divide the rest between the 2nd and 3rd string but give just a hair on either side of the C due to its size. I'm going to make a jig that sets it up perfect because eyeballing it doesn't always go so well lol. I've had no complaints from anyone but I do often see complaints of soprano necks not being wide enough. I think this setup offers better playability. The shape of my necks is pretty much in line with the Ibanez Wizard II and the older Kramer thin elliptical C shaped necks... Although my last one was a bit on the thick side (maybe because it was spanish cedar and I feel better with them being a bit thicker) , still nicely shaped though, this one is dead on what I like in a neck and I'm saving the profile.

The horse is coming my friend... I was walking home in the cold rain the other day, and I saw in the street a shiny thing. Being very attracted to shiny things I bent over and snatched it up, put it in my pocket. When I got home and examined said shiny thing I noticed it had the markings of 14K, Italy... whatever that means. I thought to myself, "Self... said shiny thing, though ran over and kinda beat up... has enough good parts in it to make a pretty pole for a carousel horse!"... and I agree ;)

Last edited:
I love this ukulele Vic. Your inlay work is exquisite...Absolutely beautiful...!!! If I can buy it, let me know...!!!

Such a sweet uke. Definitely a sound sample needed so we can all hear this beauty sing.

Vic:

Regarding the headstock inlay: Chuck Moore better watch his back! That is some gorgeous work!

The neck sounds perfect to me! I asked Brad Donaldson to build my super soprano with a 1.5 inch nut - makes a world of difference for comfort and ease of playing.

Overall - that uke is a stunner!

Top Bottom