Kamaka, KoAloha, GString Tenors and Sopranos Blowout! Free Shipping to USA!

experimentjon

Reaction score
Three Kamaka Tenors for Sale: Save 25%-35% off MSRP! Free Shipping to USA!

All prices include the pictured case, and insured USPS priority shipping to anywhere in the US. I will eat the Paypal fees. And if you don’t use Paypal, I will also take Postal Money Order. Vacationing in Hawaii, or just kamaaina? I also welcome local pickup, with discounts as seen below. [/B]

ALL SOLD! THANKS UU!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Kamaka 6 String Tenor Ukulele #2
MSRP: $1,345
My Price: $995 >> $975 >> $955 (Incl. free case, insured USPS priority shipping to US/50, and Paypal Fees!)
OR: $925 if you pay with postal money order (passing PP fee savings onto buyer)

Local Pickup Price: $900 >> $880 >> $860

Take your pick of this or the above Kamaka Liliu. Instead of the factory Kamaka historic case, this one comes in a modern lightweight hardcase and comes pre-strung with Worth Brown Strings, so it sounds excellent! This one was manufactured Feb 15, 2006.

As for condition, you could call this one showroom condition. It has one very faint and barely noticeable strum marks on the top, one tiny spot of wear on the headstock, and a few small dings on the top edge near the butt which are hard to find unless you’re looking for them. Overall, it is in very good shape.

Between this one and the other Kamaka 6-String, it would be a hard call for me. Both are excellent instruments, and in similar condition. If you had to choose, pick the one that looks like it has the nicer wood grain to you. This one is mostly straight grained, but has a cool butterfly-like 3D effect in the middle of the top and back (matched set) when you move it around in the light. It’s hard to describe, but you can sort of see it in the pictures. Either of these instruments will last for generations.

P1100765.jpg

More photos available: http://photobucket.com/unemploymentsale2012

Last edited:
Kamaka HF3 Tenor Ukulele: $925 SOLD SOLD SOLD
MSRP: $1,245
My Price: $925 >> $895 >> $875 (Incl. free case, insured USPS priority shipping to US/50, and Paypal Fees!)
Local Pickup Price: $850 >> $825 >> $795

Want to play like Aldrine in the old days? This is a Kamaka HF-3 tenor, strung with DAddario J71s, just like he did before he became an international ukulele superstar. If you have the skills, you can make this sound exactly like Aldrine. If you don’t have the skills, then you will still sound very good. It is standard Kamaka tone: traditional, precise, well in-tune, and everything that you would expect from solid Hawaiian koa from a builder that has been handcrafting instruments since 1916. I just gave it a few strums, and you can make this instrument do exactly what you want it to do.

The biggest downside to this uke is the cosmetic ding on the top right seam near the butt. It’s not quite a ding, it’s more of a battle scar from when it was scratched against a music stand. I tried to capture it in the pictures. It is only a cosmetic scar, and does not go through the wood to do any structural damage. But looking at it dead on, it is sort of gnarly-looking. That’s the bad side. The positive is that it doesn’t bother me anymore. It used to be horrible in the beginning, but you notice it less and less. Plus, you can’t really see it when looking at it from the top or from the side. To get the full effect, you need to look at the seam. So really, if you can live with the character, it’s great. There are also a few other (much milder) dings here and there from being played, and some strum marks. But overall, as you can see in the pictures, the condition is actually quite good.

Made October 5, 2005, and ready for a new home for the New Year!

P1100670.jpg

Last edited:
Kamaka 6-String Tenor #1 SOLD SOLD SOLD
MSRP: $1,345
My Price: $995 >> $975 (Incl. free case, insured USPS priority shipping to US/50, and Paypal Fees!)
Local Pickup Price: $900 >> $880

This one is almost like it came from the factory. (Manufacture date Jan 4, 2002.) It will come shipped in the original Kamaka case with the fuzzy orange inside lining, a staple of Hawaii history. If you’ve grown up in Hawaii, you are definitely familiar with this case. And it is still loaded with the original strings. But if you happen to want to change it up, I am also including a set of Worth Brown all flouracarbon strings in the package. I love Worth strings, and think you will too!

The uke is in excellent condition, with very few indications that it has been played. Upon close inspection, I can only find one faint scratch on the back, barely visible wear on the edge top right edge of the body along the seam from strumming, and two nearly invisible streaks on the top that the camera wouldn’t capture, and I could barely even see. The pictures depict the condition accurately: it’s very good. Think of it as a showroom model—not quite mint, but still very good, and at a nice discount to MSRP.

Tone is rich and complex as you would expect from a 6-string. Here is the description from Kamaka: The 6-string has doubled first and third strings tuned in octaves. Also known as "the Liliu," the Tenor 6-String was designed by Sam Kamaka Jr. in 1959 to commemorate Hawaii statehood and pay tribute to Hawaii's last reigning monarch, Queen Liliuokalani. In 1978, a Liliu was presented to the White House as Hawaii's Regional Gift.”

This is a famous instrument, and the most classic 6-string ukulele on the market. The wood shows a nice semi-curly grain (you’ll love this wood in the sun), and the sound is superb. If you’ve been wanting to try a 6-string, this is the one to have, and it will hold its value for years to come.

IMG_0038.jpg

Last edited:
G-String Tenor with Fishman Acoustic Matrix Pickup: $745 SOLD!!!
MSRP Incl Upgrades: $1200
My Price: $745 (Incl. free case, insured USPS priority shipping to US/50, and Paypal Fees!)
Local Pickup Price: $680

These are no longer in production, and are getting somewhat difficult to find. The body is solid koa, with a one piece mahogany neck, and a 19 fret rosewood fretboard. The tuners are gold Grovers with pearloid buttons. Tone wise, I would say that it sounds most similar to the Kamaka tenor.

This one has been upgraded with a professionally installed Fishman Acoustic Matrix Pickup. This is the same pickup that Aldrine uses in his custom Kanilea and is the reason it is so hard for me to let go of this instrument. The Matrix 2 is no longer in production, and is somewhat difficultto get your hands on now. I love this pickup, and regard it as being far higher quality than the current Matrix Infinity. I have also had the saddle upgraded to a TUSQ saddle, a significant step up from the original saddle. The strings are Worth clears High G. The foam hardcase pictured is included.

The condition on this ukulele is fair. It has been a user. The most obvious flaw is that there is a lot of finish checking. It is all natural checking, the same type that you might see on a vintage guitar. It is not noticeable from about two feet away, and was very difficult to capture in the pictures. But upon inspection, it is there. This checking is very typical of the finish used on G-String ukuleles. And it’s on the front, back, sides, and headstock. Again, it is still very attractive from a distance. There are wear marks on the fingerboard from play, as pictured. Also there are very minor scratches/dings on the back of the neck, top of the headstock, and edges of the body as pictured. All of this is cosmetic, and all of it minor.

I think it’s very unfortunate that the G-String ukes are no longer in production. But if you wanted your chance to own one at a good price, this is it!

P1100796.jpg

Last edited:
KoAloha Soprano SOLD!!
MSRP: $550
My Price: $445 (Incl. free case, insured USPS priority shipping to US/50, and Paypal Fees!)
Local Pickup Price: $400
New Old Stock. Excellent condition!

I’ve owned quite a few sopranos over the years from different makers, and in my opinion, KoAloha makes the most enjoyable-to-play Soprano ukulele on the market. This particular model is from September 2005, and has been virtually unplayed since then, and even comes with the original factory strings still installed. This is somewhat of a vintage model; they no longer build them quite like this. The top is made of a single board, rather than being bookmatched—as is the back. This is increasingly difficult nowadays due to the scarcity of Koa. The bridge has a subtle, but noticeable inlay strip of koa which is a classy touch. The saddle is made of ebony, rather than TUSQ which is reported to give a more natural woodsy tone. And the tuners are their older style white plastic ones for that vintage style. The styling is largely the same with the sexy KoAloha crown motif on the headstock and at the bottom of the bridge.

Condition is very good, just a few small marks on the headstock that I noticed upon closer examination. (Didn’t even notice them when taking pictures, so I didn’t capture them on camera.) But otherwise, this one is in excellent condition. This is NOT a factory second, and will include a foam hardshell case which is in excellent condition.

Sound can be described as punchy and playful. Very typical KoAloha soprano sound. Sort of breaks the mold from the traditional Kamaka soprano sound. I think you’ll find it to be a joy to play with its goldilocks action: not too high and not too low.

IMG_0032.jpg

Last edited:
Kamaka 8 String Tenor Ukulele SOLD SOLD SOLD!! FOR REFERENCE ONLY
MSRP: $1,445
My Price: $1095 (Incl. free case, insured USPS priority shipping to US/50, and Paypal Fees!)
Local Pickup Price: $1000

This particular model has the most beautiful wood that I have had on any of my Kamakas. Without being a special model, this one have very nice curl, figure, and character. I like to just admire the wood in the sunlight sometimes. It was made on September 15, 2006. Build quality was perfect, action is excellent, and it truly is a work of love.

As for sound, it is as rich and full as you could hope for. Currently strung with Worth Clears, my string set of choice. It definitely puts out a complex sound with doubled and octaved strings. It is excellent for strumming—especially if you’re trying to get a more traditional Hawaiian sound. Here’s the description from Kamaka: The 8-string has all four strings doubled, with the third and fourth pair tuned in octaves. Played with standard ukulele tuning and fingering, the sound is rich and unique. The paired strings are played together like a 12-string guitar. Also known as "the Liliu VIII," the Tenor 8-String was designed by Sam Kamaka Jr. in 1976 to commemorate the Bicentennial of the United States.

Condition on this one can be described as good overall. The one major issue with it is a scratch near the soundhole which I attempted to capture on camera. Looking at it straight on, it is not visible, but it is noticeable from an angle. Also has some wear at the top of the headstock: one nick and a very light scuffing. The body and neck are in excellent condition overall (except for the aforementioned soundhole scratch). I’d consider most of the wear to be “character building” and don’t think that it’ll bother you after the initial impressions—you’ll come to love this instrument.

The case is a bit older, and is using pink zip ties instead of zipper pulls on the body. But they look extra cool that way! Still perfectly structurally sound and excellent case. Also as a bonus, I will include a spare set of Worth Clear 8-string. In my opinion this is the best set of strings on the market for an 8 string ukulele and is full flouracarbon so you don’t have to deal with the wound strings overpowering the rest in volume and sustain. This set is much more balanced, and sounds mellow and full.

P1100679.jpg

Just look at that wood! It’s beautiful Made-In-Hawaii craftsmanship!

Last edited:
Kamaka Soprano Ukulele: SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!
MSRP: $845
My Price: $625 (Incl. free case, insured USPS priority shipping to US/50, and Paypal Fees!)
Local Pickup Price: $580

Probably the best-selling Hawaiian ukulele of all time: the Kamaka Soprano. When you think about what an ukulele is supposed to sound like, this is it. It is a staple of culture in Hawaii, and nearly every student in Hawaii’s elementary school system has played one of these at one point. It is a heirloom-quality piece crafted of solid koa, and of top quality. The sound is mellow and playful. I’d also describe the tone as upbeat.

Condition on this is good overall. But there is one problem with the finish on the back. Lesson learned. If your uke smells funny, putting fabric softener sheets into the case is not the answer. Leave it there for six months without touching your instrument, and it will mess up the finish. A fabric softener sheet also touched a spot on the neck, behind the first fret. The result was a slightly textured finish on the back rather than a smooth glossy one. It sort of feels leathery. From three feet away, you will not notice, unless light hits the uke at just the right angle. I tried my best to capture it in the pics, and it took quite a bit of effort to get just the right angle. As you can see, it looks perfect from most angles at 3 feet away.

If you’re looking for an ukulele that you’re going to play and play and play, this is a great one, regardless of the finish issue, (and if you really wanted, you could send it to Kamaka for a refinish.) And really, that finish issue is the only problem with this uke. I can’t find any other dings or scratches, because I have babied this one and let it sit in its case for most of the time since I’ve bought it. It was manufactured Feb 15, 2007.

P1100773.jpg

Last edited:
KoAloha Tenor with Fishman Matrix Infinity Pickup: $975 SOLD!!! Thanks!!
MSRP Plus Upgrades: $1225
My Price: $975 (Incl. free case, insured USPS priority shipping to US/50, and Paypal Fees!)
Local Pickup Price: $900

The KoAloha Tenor is a superb instrument. This one has their newer bow-tie bridge, and features a very simple look with straight-grained, bookamatched wood, and darkened grover tuners. It’s a business ukulele that is ready to be gigged. It comes with a Fishman Matrix Inifinity pickup installed: providing two tone controls, and one volume control hidden inside the soundhole and powered by a 9V battery. Standard ¼ jack in the back that can go out to your PA or amp. It is strung with Worth Clear string in Low-G (the preferred string of KoAloha ukes.)

Sound is surprisingly bright for an instrument strung in Low-G (you can easily change to high-G if you wanted.) But bright and loud are KoAloha signatures. And I know that the sound is oinly going to get better over time as the wood opens up with play (I’ve barely played it since acquiring it, since I’ve been playing my other KoAlohas.) Their tenor is one of the most playable tenors on the market because it has larger frets. I’ve been strumming this one as I’m typing this, and I can’t help but to smile. I’m going to miss this instrument, but know that someone out there will give it the playing time it deserves.

Condition is like new. This is NOT a factory second. And I can’t find any dings, dents, or scratches worth mentioning. There is a tiny bit of glue residue visible on the bridge upon close inspection, but that is if I’m being picky. This one was manufactured in Jan 2011 and has seen minimal play since then. I think someone is going to score with this one!

P1100687.jpg

Last edited:
Would you let go of this or any other tenor for cash and a Pono ukulele with pick up? Lemme know. I'm local.

Really shocked that this hasn't gained more interest.

PM sent on koaloha soprano.

One more ukulele sold! That makes four total since I started selling off the collection! Lets find the rest of these some new loving homes!

The 8 string is on its way. :nana:

I loved that one. I have to admit, it had been weighing heavily in my mind for the last few days. Congrats on a beauty.

Well everyone I've spoken to regarding an 8 string uke has mentioned the name Kamaka; personally I wasn't that struck on the looks of it (the white pegs are too distracting on the eye for my liking) and liked the Kanilea with a slotted headstock; but when you consider the latter costs 2 and a half times the cost of the Kamaka, I think I can let that slide. :p

Thanks Ed. Already have a nice new case picked out for it as well. I think this may see an end (or at least a break) in the UAS. Can't wait! Thanks to Jon too!

Thanks Ed. Already have a nice new case picked out for it as well. I think this may see an end (or at least a break) in the UAS. Can't wait! Thanks to Jon too!

Graig-- did you get the Koaloha yet? YOu will love it. Unpacked my new KoAloha concert yesterday. As you know, I have been through quite a few ukulele's recently but this KoAloha is by far the most fun to play. Even the hardest chords seem so much easier, and the songs sound so much better. I love my other ukes but this KoAloha is totally different and great fun. You will love the soprano. Wishing you a very happy new year.

Top Bottom