Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwaya KTS-4 vs Ohana SK-38

Default Kiwaya KTS-4 vs Ohana SK-38

Hello

I don't have any of these instruments, so I don't have any idea which one would sounds better. Both got good reps among UUers, and I'm considering another soprano to be added in the current UAS streak. The KTS-4 had it listed $526.00 and SK-38 for $219.99, both on Uke Republic. Yeah, the Kiwaya doubled the price of Ohana, but, is it worth it? How do you compare these ukes? Also to be taken into consideration, is the new Martin S1 (not the vintage ones). Hope there'll be tons of opinion on this thread!

Thank you!

Both are good choices for a Martin-style soprano sound. The KTS-4 is a nicer instrument, finely finished. The sk-38 is a very good instrument, it has an "antiqued" finish so it may look a bit worn. I think the KTS-4 has a slight edge in the sound too, but is 2.5x the price of an sk-38. The sk-38 is modeled after a Style 1, while the KTS-4 is modeled loosely after a style O.

If money is tight the sk-38 is fine choice.

I've owned an sk-38 and a KTS-6K (koa) at the same time and preferred the Kiwaya.

Last edited by Doc_J; 12-24-2011 at 01:21 AM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

If you're after a Martin sound, keep an eye on eBay for Ken Timm's soprano ukes.
    Kamaka 8-String | KoAloha Sceptre Tenor | Compass Rose Flamed-Maple Tenor | Goldtone Tenor Banjolele | Ken Timms Soprano Martin Style-O | Bruko Flat Soprano #6 | Sco Dart Jazzbox Uke | Tiki Surf Flea | Kala Cedar & Acacia Baritone
    Website | Youtube |

I really like the SK-38 and think that it is a great value.
    Ukulele Player is Still ONLINE.... you can find it here:

https://archive.org/details/issue30_201712
    (Ukulele Player Magazine)
    Ukulele Player Magazine STORE...
    http://www.zazzle.com/ukeplayermagazine

I was really stunned by the sound of the sk38. For the price, I wasn't expecting much, and I got something that made other more expensive soprano ukes I had feel a bit pointless to keep around. I think they priced these too low.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

The Kiwayas are great players and have a compensated saddle to aid intonation. They are flawlessly finished with great attention to detail and are feather light. I do think they are well worth the money. I have played custom luthier instruments that don't play as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Both are good choices for a Martin-style soprano sound. The KTS-4 is a nicer instrument, finely finished. The sk-38 is a very good instrument, it has an "antiqued" finish so it may look a bit worn. I think the KTS-4 has a slight edge in the sound too, but is 2.5x the price of an sk-38. The sk-38 is modeled after a Style 1, while the KTS-4 is modeled loosely after a style O.

If money is tight the sk-38 is fine choice.

I've owned an sk-38 and a KTS-6K (koa) at the same time and preferred the Kiwaya.

What do you mean by 'nicer instrument'? Does the KTS-4 qualifies more just in term of looks, finish? In your opinion, which one sounds better?

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsong View Post
    I was really stunned by the sound of the sk38. For the price, I wasn't expecting much, and I got something that made other more expensive soprano ukes I had feel a bit pointless to keep around. I think they priced these too low.
    How much is the actual price of SK-38, if you were the one to decide?

Quote Originally Posted by byjimini View Post
    If you're after a Martin sound, keep an eye on eBay for Ken Timm's soprano ukes.
    Does Ken Timm got his own website? :O

Here's the review for both ukes by Ken!

Thread Information