Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Built at least 40 stringed instrument

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
After reading a post about "PEERS", I was curious how many ukes everyone has built? I put a poll so that you don't have to put your name. However, the last poll comment is for those who have built guitars, mandolins, etc. and are coming into building ukes. For instance, Pepe Romero has built over 200 guitars and just started getting into ukes...I would suspect many of you would consider him a peer.

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Although I don't quite make it into any of your categories I have repaired over 1000 stringed instruments. I certainly don't consider myself a peer of the professional makers here but I do think that there are other factors which would be relevant - repair being chief among them, supplying wood being another. Anyway it will be interesting to see the responses.

Just over 100 ukes now; 50 or so other types. Currently averaging 1 uke per week.

Two things holding me back from making ukuleles; firstly is lack of skill, secondly is letting them go. They're my babies for Christ sake!

Seriously though, my granddad was a skilled craftsman, all our furniture was made by him, so I'd love to keep that in the family by making ukes.

Many, many ukes, many guitars plus violins, banjos, mandolins, and dulcimers. I also spend half my shop time doing repairs on all manner of string instruments. Its good to have the work.

Numbered up 530 last week - about 480 of those ukulele in all shapes and sizes. Prior too that a shed load of guitars and just 24 ukulele working with luthier Tony Revell + 1 new age rebec and a pig-nose psaltery...

LOL... I love how your poll starts at 20... I've only built 16 or 17 ukes so far I can't remember and not keeping score. But then, McDonalds has made probably over a trillion hamburgers and they still suck. Not that you won't find many people who think they're delicious. My ukes are more like well aged slow cooked prime rib. If I had my way I'd do maybe two a year but walking to the grocery store in the rain to get enough bologna to last the week is getting old so it looks like I'm bumping up "production".

Last edited:
Sorry I picked 20 as an arbitrary number but I figure you need to make about 20 to know what you like than the rest of your lifetime to master it! :eek:

Hi Vic!
Wow, that means the three of yours I have , is a good sized percentage!! Keep 'em coming!
Best Wishes-
Ed

:) Thanks Ed! I'll be getting off here now and getting back to work. I'm moving into lurk mode for a while but rest assured, I'm not going anywhere...

Repetition should be a good indicator to those who aspire to be builders. The more you do, the more you have to learn. I have just started a prototype concert harp ukulele and despite having done this many times before (I've built and rebuilt about 30 forms/moulds), I am re-learning by modification my form making skills. If it goes right then I'll be able to modify all my forms so I can adapt them for harp ukulele. Constant building and thinking about what you do genrates improvement. I think I may be getting somewhere when I get up to 1000 ukulele...;)

I sadly don't make the poll mark yet, I started building ukes in May of this year, and I have #13 on the bench right now... I have a commission for one to be built before october of next year, and plans for several more in the coming year.

I do very much enjoy making them, and find that I am more relaxed when I am working on them then any other time, except when on the golf course, or out in the woods.

After reading a post about "PEERS", I was curious how many ukes everyone has built?
Crap! I only completed 19 ukuleles and five guitars :( #'s 20-23 should be done by the end of January!
I think you should have added 0-20 as a choice since that’s probably the largest demographic on this forum...and you did say "everyone"

Stephen

Sorry...This was somewhat related to another thread where they talk about peers and this poll was to show that there are only a few "Jedis". I should have classified it Youngling, Padawan, Jedi Knight, Jedi Master, Jedi Grand Master!

A famous luthier's estate in the 17th century consisted of, when they got into his workshop, nearly 900 finished or part finished lutes! I think we all have a ways to go :)

Top Bottom