Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite bridge design & why?

Default What is your favorite bridge design & why?

i was reading over a post from someone who just got their first koaloha and they were discussing the bridge.

i did some looking and it got me to thinking: what is your favorite uke bridge design and why?

also, imaginary bonus points if you can explain the sound (not aesthetics!) benefits of a particular design...

i've posted some pics to spark the discussion. they are all koaloha bridges--old and new.

IMG_1345.jpgIMG_6807-6.jpg155542_479569562627_618607627_5713614_555372_n.jpgKPS_bridge.jpgarton760.jpg
    "God wen get so plenny love an aloha fo da peopo inside da world, dat he wen send me, his one an ony Boy, so dat everybody dat trus me no get cut off from God, but get da real kine life dat stay to da max foeva... Whoeva stay trus me, God no goin punish dem. But whoeva no trus me, garans God goin punish dem, cuz dey neva trus me, God's ony Boy."
    - John Tell Bout Jesus (John) 3:16, 18

a few more...

you don't have to submit koaloha only. i just used these to jump start some thoughts.

for example, i love the honu turtle on the big island ukes!

DSC_0303.jpgKCM02_bridge.jpgpineapplesundayebony05.jpgsceptre-concert-067.jpg
    "God wen get so plenny love an aloha fo da peopo inside da world, dat he wen send me, his one an ony Boy, so dat everybody dat trus me no get cut off from God, but get da real kine life dat stay to da max foeva... Whoeva stay trus me, God no goin punish dem. But whoeva no trus me, garans God goin punish dem, cuz dey neva trus me, God's ony Boy."

I can't add anything about the sound qualities of any bridges as all I have is my cheapy beginner Makala, but, I totally second the notion that the Honu bridge on the Big Island ukes is far and away my favorite bridge for the aesthetics of it.

here's a pic of that bridge.

l_kxxx_bridge.jpg

So this is like QI for uke bridges, where we get points for being interesting, and a blaring siren if we say something obvious, especially if it's a myth.

I won't get any QI but yeah I love the honu bridge. In terms of ease of use... IF I could tie a knot, the pin bridge on my Kanilea would be best. Since I fail at knot tying, that also removes the slot bridge from the running. That leaves the standard twisty tie bridge as the one most friendly to my fingers.

For pure bling, I like the the old Koaloha crown bridge of course.

Also I think the pull-through bridges are handy.

But my big thing is headstocks. So many uke designs fail at the headstock, like they just were drawing the design on paper and lost the will to live by the time they got to the headstock.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

Aloha,
    As far as aesthetics go, the Koaloha Crown,and the Big Island Honu bridges. As far as design, the tie on bridge (for tying on or the use of beads).
    Uku Itch: Live It, Love It, Share It
    Mele: My Song, My Joy, My uke....
    Proud Designer and Owner of the "B&D Special" and the "Maui Kai" by Willie Wixom

String-through top bridges for practical reasons, not for aesthetics.

I am kind of partial to the bow-tie bridge. Not sure why, just seems simple yet unique.

That said as far a a bridge style affecting the sound I would think, Dont Know, that a string through and maybe bridge pin, would have an advantage. Having the string go through the sound board and apply addition 'preasure' on the conection between the bridge and sound board would seem benifitial. I have had a bridge start to pull off the sound board from a standard bridge (it was a cheap uke) but none the less the strings are pulling the bridge off the soundboard so if any separation started the transfer of vibration would diminish. Overall weakening the sound.

my spelling stinks

Suspension. Much more interesting, visually, than, say, covered or straight span bridges.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

The dolphin bridge on the makala dolphin ukes. I got one yesterday to see what all the fuss was about.
    Bard to the bone!

Thread Information