Which Ukulele is the best?

shadowkir

Reaction score
I want a tenor ukulele but I'm having trouble deciding which I should get.
My budget is 200 dollars, could be a little over.

I've heard mixed opinions on riptide.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120833618341

http://www.amazon.com/KA-TEM-Exotic-Mahogany-Tenor-Ukulele/dp/B003TMGAK0/ref=sr_1_38?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1325364467&sr=1-38

http://www.amazon.com/Oscar-Schmidt-OU6-Tenor-Ukulele/dp/B002AKKO9K/ref=sr_1_39?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1325364527&sr=1-39

Which brand is best? Oscar Schimdt, Kala, or Riptide. How about Lanikai? I see a lot of Lanikai ukuleles on sale, but I don't know if they are good.

Yes for a bit more still under $300, you can get a very nice Solid Wood Kala. My first Uke was a solid Spruce Top and it still a favorite of mine.

Im in the same boat as I just received authorization to return a Lanikai CK-T that I was not happy with. $200-300 is my range and solid top is definately a plus. Im interested in seeing what other recommendations follow....

Do yourself a favor. Put those Kalas, Lanikais, Oscar Schmidts, Riptides, etc in a bag and place it in the corner. Then go and find yourself an Islander.

Sub $300, and more uke for the money than all of the others combined.

You'll thank me later.

For $238 you can get a set-up Mainland solid mahogany at Uke Republic. That's what I ended up going with in a $200 or thereabouts budget. Of course, with shipping and adding a good case, it was more. But I know I will be getting an instrument that is versatile. I tried out some Lanakais. NOT impressed.

$200-300 is my range and solid top is definately a plus...
I think this is currently a very sweet price range with lots of great options.

• ~$210 KPK: very nice looking solid acacia. Nut & saddle are rosewood, which may make the sound too mellow for some folks. $25 more buys you some bling if you want that.

• $204-250 Islander MST-4: backed by Kanile'a and definitely has a family resemblance sound-wise. Hard to find in stock right now. Solid mahogany with binding & rosette.

• ~$250 Mainland: various solid woods (mahogany, mango, cedar). Also currently not in stock, but expecting a shipment soon. Distinctive rope binding that some folks love and others dislike. They do have a "plain" version, so ask about those.

• ~$300 Pono MT: a lighter colored solid mahogany backed by Ko'olau.

I am going with the Islander MST-4. Any idea when the new model will be out?

I am going with the Islander MST-4. Any idea when the new model will be out?
Aside from the gold colored headstock logo and closed gear tuners, have you heard that there will be any changes to the solid mahogany model? MGM posted some vids of prototypes, but I thought they were all laminates (acacia, spruce/rosewood, etc.).

Aside from the gold colored headstock logo and closed gear tuners, have you heard that there will be any changes to the solid mahogany model? MGM posted some vids of prototypes, but I thought they were all laminates (acacia, spruce/rosewood, etc.).

I haven't anymore than what was posted by Mike. I think I will get a MT-4 for now and get the MST-4 when the new ones are released. Gold colored logo is why I want to wait. I just cant get over the white logos....lol

I have looked at the ones you mentioned in my own quest. Ended up with an Islander. Best deal I ever made!

Top Bottom