Vintage Martin Style O Ukulele for sale (Must see this!)

bookyyyy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I know I am brand new here but I have this BEAUTY available for sale. I really dont have much interest in music, this Uke belonged to my great grandmother. I have done a good amount of research, and brought it to 2 guitar stores for further information (Guitar Center & Sam Ash). Here are the pictures & specs about it.

Uke1.jpg

Uke2.jpg

Uke3.jpg

Uke4.jpg

-Early 1920's (probably 1922-1927)
-Ukelele is a Soprano
-Especially old because logo was engraved in the back, and not painted on the front of the head
-Absolutely NO alterations/repairs were made, EVER
-Sam Ash placed the Ukelele under a black light and found NO cracks or internal damage what so ever
-Was told it is in "phenomenal shape" considering its age
-Still has its original 'pure' sound

Now I know its tough to buy from someone who has little feedback and doesnt know anyone here. I collect baseball cards and participate heavily on 2 card forums (Blowoutcards & Sportscardforum). I have nearly 200 transactions between the 2 with 100% positive feedback. On top of all of that I am an on & off powerseller on eBay (username Rofasa) I have 10+ years of 900+ 100% feedback.

I am looking for $1200 which includes shipping with insurance and signature confirmation. (offers are welcome)

I accept PayPal & Postal Money orders.

Please if you have any questions what so ever, or require any more information please dont hesitate to contact me via this thread or private message.

Hey guys,

So I know I am brand new here but I have this BEAUTY available for sale. I really dont have much interest in music, this Uke belonged to my great grandmother. I have done a good amount of research, and brought it to 2 guitar stores for further information (Guitar Center & Sam Ash). Here are the pictures & specs about it.

Uke1.jpg

Uke2.jpg

Uke3.jpg

Uke4.jpg

-Early 1920's (probably 1922-1927)
-Ukelele is a Soprano
-Especially old because logo was engraved in the back, and not painted on the front of the head
-Absolutely NO alterations/repairs were made, EVER
-Sam Ash placed the Ukelele under a black light and found NO cracks or internal damage what so ever
-Was told it is in "phenomenal shape" considering its age
-Still has its original 'pure' sound

Now I know its tough to buy from someone who has little feedback and doesnt know anyone here. I collect baseball cards and participate heavily on 2 card forums (Blowoutcards & Sportscardforum). I have nearly 200 transactions between the 2 with 100% positive feedback. On top of all of that I am an on & off powerseller on eBay (username Rofasa) I have 10+ years of 900+ 100% feedback.

I am looking for $1200 which includes shipping with insurance and signature confirmation. (offers are welcome)

I accept PayPal & Postal Money orders.

Please if you have any questions what so ever, or require any more information please dont hesitate to contact me via this thread or private message.

You got to be kidding...$1200? Good luck sir...!!!

Do you have an offer? I am just going by what the music store told me.

I didn't mean to be so direct but that was my first reaction to your post. You do have a very nice, old Pre-1935 Martin Style 0 soprano ukulele. By the way, welcome to UU...!!! I don't have an offer for you as I am not a soprano ukulele afficianado. $1200 is a high price for the instrument. Do you have an original case with it? You might want to add that information to the thread if you do because that makes a diference in what people would be willing to pay. If you have an original hardshell case, I would estimate that you might be able to get somewhere around $700-800 for it. Style 0 Martins go for somewhere around $600 depending on condition without an original case. Yours has no cracks and I assume that it has good playability/action. Also, you should read the sticky at the top of the UU Marketplace regarding sellers. Other than that, I wish you the best in your selling of this nice instrument.

I say that's a good ball park estimate on a 20's style "O".... no more than 750.00 depending on condition and sound...if you want it sold fast...600.00 would be a good start....

My initial reaction was the same as the other members here: it's a nice and desirable instrument, great vintage for Martins, but the asking price is way out of the normal range. The top value listed in the 2012 Vintage Guitar Price Guide for a Martin O is $750.00. Mmstan is right...about $600.00 if you want to sell it quickly.

Elderly Instruments has an O, albeit, a 1950's O, at $550.00 here:

http://elderly.com/vintage/names/martin-style-o-soprano-ukulele-(1950's)--180U-1618.htm

Gryphon has a 1960's ) at $620.00 here:

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/35232/35232.php

Just for the sake of comparison.

A nice original hardshell case would certainly increase the value. In the early 90s, original Martin ukulele cases brought $100. I don't know what they're worth now.

It is a really beautiful Style O, but in that condition and age and everything considered most vintage experts expect about $700-$800 for a Style O. A 1M would fetch around $1000, 1K about $1300, 2M about $1400, 2K around $1600, and 3M's and K's usually go for between $1800-$2200 depending on condition. 5K's go for $6000- to $15000 usually. Lucky thing Martin ukuleles are in the Blue Book!!

It is a really beautiful Style O, but in that condition and age and everything considered most vintage experts expect about $700-$800 for a Style O. A 1M would fetch around $1000, 1K about $1300, 2M about $1400, 2K around $1600, and 3M's and K's usually go for between $1800-$2200 depending on condition. 5K's go for $6000- to $15000 usually. Lucky thing Martin ukuleles are in the Blue Book!!

Point me to a 3K for $2200.00...please!

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. As mentioned offers are welcome so if anyone has any interest please shoot me a private message. I can be easy on the price, I would prefer to sell this off eBay.

I agree with the prices above. It's in really nice shape for the age, which helps. A case would add a bit. But the Style 0 was the lowest in the line. I just picked up a Style 3M from about 1930 for just a little more than your asking price. I don't have an 0 yet, but I'm not currently in a position to buy anything, so I'm not trying to influence your pricing. I just don't think you would ever sell it (here or on eBay) for $1200. I'm not a HUGE expert, but I do watch what they sell for... and for something to be worth any amount, remember that you have to have someone actually willing to GIVE that much for it. Just because of it's age and condition, I would think that putting it at the higher end of the Style 0 range would be justified. Maybe $650-750, a little more possibly if it has the original case (or even ANY case would help). I think that 0s, being the "bottom of the line", are probably less likely than the fancier styles to have ever had a hardshell case.

Hello all,

I put the Uke on eBay and already have over 20 watchers!

Ive been in discussions with an international buyer who put an offer in at $850. I am just sending him some measurements he wanted and we will see what happens from there. I still would prefer to sell off of ebay to avoid annoying fees. I would let this go at $750 shipped on here. Once again please let me know!

Here is a link to the auction which features some high quality pictures from a photoshoot of the Uke.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320823256100?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I wouldn't be mentioning that the guitar stores you consulted were Guitar Center and Sam Ash. Nice pics, best of luck!

If you would prefer to sell it off eBay why are you posting it here and not following the rules for the marketplace?

What rule did I break? I would prefer to have a transaction off ebay. Fees add up fast...

Sounds like the OP prefers NOT to sell this ukulele on eBay but rather to sell it here if possible.

That price - $1,200 - is definitely New York City - or other big city - retail. Don't be surprised that folks here think its about 30% high. Your $999 is also going to be on the high side.

You've got 26 more days, but that $850 is a good price, even with the fees. I would take it, but wait a bit. I just bought a 20s style two for $425. If someone offers you more than $850 for ANY style 0, pounce on it.

That price - $1,200 - is definitely New York City - or other big city - retail. Don't be surprised that folks here think its about 30% high. Your $999 is also going to be on the high side.

You've got 26 more days, but that $850 is a good price, even with the fees. I would take it, but wait a bit. I just bought a 20s style two for $425. If someone offers you more than $850 for ANY style 0, pounce on it.

A 20's style 2 for $425.00 is a real snag, John. Congratulations. That's awesome.

Top Bottom