Tipping

Yeah, I tip. I do so because I am a politician in a small town and I know many of the servers, or the owners, and I know how tough it can be.I know what the margins are, too. I always try to buy local and shop in downtown stores, not the box stores. I tip for the same reason I shop locally: because I care about the vitality of my home town.

But inwardly I grumble. Waitstaff can be paid less even than minimum wage (although as I understand it, somewhat more than what many states allow wait staff to be paid). I don't believe that the public should be forced to subsidize a bad bureaucratic system. Waitstaff should get at least the same minimum pay that any other employee is entitled to. Then the tip can be based on service and reward, not on some feeling of social responsibility or guilt.

I tip 15% to 20% depending on service, quality of food, and ambience. I tend to lower it if the restaurant staff sings happy birthday at a nearby table, though.

My philosophy is, if you can't throw up a few extra dollars (at least) to have your food delivered, then you shouldn't be ordering delivery period. Pick it up yourself, in your own car, or walk down to the corner store and have a little decency. Same goes for dining out: if you're not willing to tip for service you don't deserve to be served.

Not for nothing, but there is just a tinge of bitterness here :)

For the record, I routinely tip delivery guys $5 for their effort. Regardless of whether it's pizza, bbq, Indian food, etc.

Top Bottom