Tonerite vs. Massager

ukeykondo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried just sticking a personal massager like this: http://www.meritline.com/handheld-vibrating-massage---p-42526.aspx?source=fghdac in their uke case to help it open up? Is that so different from what tonerite does. I know they have different versions for ukes and other instruments, but I would think that the differences have to do with size, as opposed to the frequency of vibration, but I could be wrong.

If you play your uke on a regular basis, it will open up on it's own. If you have a new uke that you won't be able to play much before a gig where you want it to sound it's best, then I'd just stick it in front of a speaker. I wouldn't want to risk anything near my uke that vibrates that much for an extended period of time. You may cause more harm than good.

Besides playing a uke to open it up, I put it in front of a stereo speaker with James or Jake playing.
I hope that besides getting the top vibrating, I can blast some notes into the uke.
The latter has not worked, but I keep hoping.

Wow, maybe I should put that bridge up for sale again.

Just to represent the 'other' side...

I've been using a ToneRite (Guitar model but works OK on the uke) for a few months now and I definitely hear and feel a difference in those ukes that I've been conditioning.

Just remember that the 'conditioning' doesn't make a mediocre uke great, only as 'good' as it can be. That being said, some of MY ukes, at least, did benefit from the continued conditioning and over time, did seem, to me at least, to 'open up'.

keep uke'in' everybody!

Seems to me this ToneRite thing is a bit of a gadget. And it's probably like most gadgets in that it may not actually do anything to improve things, but also won't do any harm.

The massager is another thing altogether. I would think that may be a bad idea.

Heeeere we go again... <fetches popcorn>

The tonerite is controversial, indeed, as is the entire notion of an instrument 'opening up'. Many swear that it happens--many on this board, in fact. Some have even offered an explanation for what it occurs. If it's true that an instrument does open up, then the tonerite probably does help; however, that's not to say that it's worth the price or couldn't be accomplished more cheaply. I've never seen a tonerite in person, but my guess is that it's a very light vibration. Anyhow, don't mean to open up a can of worms--sorry about that. The original thread wasn't so much about the efficacy of tonerite, but more whether if it works, whether it can be replicated more cheaply.

Last edited:
NOT buying a vibrator for my soprano uke. GET that outta yer mind, gal. Woo.

I'm worried that if I buy my ukulele a vibrator, it will begin preferring the vibrator to being played.

Why stop with just the Tonerite?

Use a Prime-Vibe with dual-transducers! You choose your music and play it into the soundboard. Think about it! You can have Jake Shimabukuro's music play-in your ukulele!!

Amp-2-exciters-smaller1.jpg
Click on image for enlargement.

:p

FWIW, I don't agree that these devices open-up your ukulele. I do believe that they can play-in your instrument, but that's a real expensive way to do it.

More popcorn?

I think my ukulele is shutting down...or, maybe it's just played out. Butter or no butter?

thanks everyone. I guess we can move on, till someone brings this up again months later...unless someone has more photos of crazy looking useless inventions to share

Opening up is real, it's just science at work there, nothing to be afraid of, just play the thing and the board will resonate like it should do.

Burn-in in audio equipment is likewise real, and you don't need to use pink and white noise to do it, just use the gear and the drivers will move like they should do. Even the companies that make this stuff can confirm it's real through FR charts.

BUT, some of this stuff to help you do it faster... it's snake oil. Just use your stuff.

Word is that a tonerite is nothing more than an aquarium pump.

Here's what I know from having borrowed a tonerite from a friend for a month.

Guitar, solid wood accoustic, well played in by first owner, evidenced by fret wear up to the 5th fret and pickguard wear. I bought the guitar when it was 2 yrs old.
Played, it daily morning and evening practice session for another 2 years. Liked it, but always felt the low end was a bit muted.

Heard about using loud speakers to play music into body and help improve opening up. Tried it off and on for 2 years (all day sessoins while at work), didnt notice any improvment.

Friend offered a Tonerite for me to try. Googled and read up on it for a week before saying I'd try it.
Noted the aquarium pump references in my research. (My aquarium room, 5 tanks, is also my music room. (no low humidity issues)

The tonerite was about the size of an air pump recommended for 10 gallon tanks. The tonerite also sounded and felt the same. 60hz, simple line frequency driven vibrations. The tonerite has a mounting system that makes contact with all the strings, and transmits it's vibrations to the strings. So the 'treatment' is at least mimicking the massage that actual playing provides.
The level of felt vibration is much-much less than a back/neck massager, and about twice as strong as the felt vibrations on the guitar when sitting very very near a speaker, turned up louder than a person can stand.

While I had it, I also fashioned a similar mounting system to a spare aquarium pump i had laying around. A-B comparisions, Tonerite-pump, same-same. Sound, mearsured "note" on Korg tuner, and felt vibrations in various parts of guitar, back/top/neck/headstock, all the same as far as my uncalibrated ears and hands could tell.

Results; using the tonerite/pump as instructed for 3-5 (memory ?) days, the guitar sounded like i had just changed the strings, brighter, but more importantly to me, bass was fuller, crisper, certianly less muted. Now I have had that guitar 6 years, still a daily player, and notice I dont feel the need to change strings as often, because it soounds good longer. Just more alive.

On my Pono PT tenor, all solid Sapele, I tried my pump version, and think (?) that the sustain is better and it is a bit louder too.

Not scientific, I know. Just one man's observations and experiences.
Someone once said, that the wood in our insturments, was a tree all its life.
We have to be patient as we train the wood to believe it is now a music maker.

Play on....and on.....aaaaaand..........on.

Last edited:
thanks everyone. I guess we can move on, till someone brings this up again months later...unless someone has more photos of crazy looking useless inventions to share

Top Bottom