Asking help from seasoned uke players on next purchase

larrypresson

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have been playing for about 6 mo now on a cheap beginner uke and want to go up a step and purchase a new uke. I've read so many reviews etc and it seems to only make me more confused sometimes. Here is what I want/have; I want a tenor sized solid wood uke and I have up to $350 to spend. I've been looking at the Pono acacia and mahoghany models that fall in that price range(just a few), the new islander solid maoghany and the Kala models. From those of you who have been playing a long time and have different brands/models, what kind of questions should I be asking myself? Do UU players have any clear preferences of these uke? This purchase is gonna have to last me quite awhile so I want to get something I will be happy with.

Thanks for any input you can give me. I've been reading these forums for awhile but this is my first post. I've really enjoyed the tone of the members and the willingness everyone seems to have to help each other.

Last edited:
If you're able, play the ones you're looking for get the one that pleases you. If not, keep reading the reviews you find here. I like the Ponos Ive tried. And, $350 could get you one of the top Islanders which everybody is raving about. They both sound like great options. I don't like Kalas, but that's me. If I had to buy sight-unseen today, for 350, I'd probably get an Islander from Hawaii Music Supply. I like dealing with them very much.
Good Luck.
Every step up is a great adventure.

While I don't fall into the "experienced" category, I'm about 8 months ahead of you on the same road.

You can't go wrong reading the posts; the combined wealth of knowledge in this forum is pretty spectacular.

That said, here's the decisions I made: like stevepetergal, Kala's don't do it for me. I don't know if it's the narrow neck or the fact that I unwittingly jumped at a KA-KS thinking it was a solid when it was a laminate.

I just ordered an Islander MST-4 from HMS. It hasn't arrived yet, but they've been great to work with so far.

I'd also check out Mainland's tenors. I have a mahogany concert, and I can't really think of anything I would want that it doesn't have. If you can find the red cedar/rosewood combo, just about everyone gives them rave reviews.

Finally, if you're confident enough in describing what you like in terms of sound and style, there are a number of luthiers who post here and are great to work with. Duane at Blackbear and Brad at Donaldson are the two I've corresponded with. Each has been kind, patient with my questions, and has helped me better understand just how cool ukuleles are to build, to play, and even just to talk about.

Best of luck in your search!

No experience but just ordered a Pono solid mahogany tenor from HMS. Great price and great service. Andrew answered about three dozen questions I had and never complained. Good luck in your search.

i have the tenor size mainland red cedar and to be honest this is my mistress, we share our guilty pleasure, the sound and crispness of the note are unsurpassable for a uke of this price, i love it ihe contrasing rosewood sides and back and the tan soundboard comliment each other in a very eye catching way, her name is melody because she is and sounds beautiful, i own 2 kalas and i must say that i was surprised at how well the finish is on the kala ukes, they are both value for money but they are no mainland, flukes are also a great instrument for the price and have a realy fun bright sound, but if its solid wood and for the price i wouldd defo compare the mainland

Thank you all for your input. I am not able to test out my options for feel and I only know the sound of the beginner uke I have been playing. Seems like I will have to just pick one and know that it will be plenty good for me and not worry about what the others might be like. Your replys help me at least to know that there is quality in the range and brands that I am looking at and that you suggest. Thanks.

Look hard at the Pono's and Islander's. You will be happy with either one.

Thanks again for your replys. One more question; what is the general difference in sound between mahoghany and acacia?

Thanks again for your replys. One more question; what is the general difference in sound between mahoghany and acacia?

Generally speaking, mahogany is usually more mellow than koa/acacia, which has a tendency towards brigtness. Of course, you can change a lot of that with string choice!!!

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice. I just ordered an Islander MSST and I think that will take care of me for quite awhile!

Thanks again for your help and advice. Just ordered an Islander MST-4 and I think that will take care of me for quite awhile. Happy playing!

Well done, Larry.

Here's hoping the Islanders are even close to as good as the reviews they've received.

if you want something really loud and great with a lot of fingerpicking then I suggest a cedar top (mine is from Ohana) with worth strings :)

Hello everyone,
I have been playing for about 6 mo now on a cheap beginner uke and want to go up a step and purchase a new uke. I've read so many reviews etc and it seems to only make me more confused sometimes. Here is what I want/have; I want a tenor sized solid wood uke and I have up to $350 to spend. I've been looking at the Pono acacia and mahoghany models that fall in that price range(just a few), the new islander solid maoghany and the Kala models. From those of you who have been playing a long time and have different brands/models, what kind of questions should I be asking myself? Do UU players have any clear preferences of these uke? This purchase is gonna have to last me quite awhile so I want to get something I will be happy with.

Thanks for any input you can give me. I've been reading these forums for awhile but this is my first post. I've really enjoyed the tone of the members and the willingness everyone seems to have to help each other.
I know nothing of the Islanders or the new acacia ponos. I do know that I am hesitant when a new uke comes out. The islanders are getting great reviews but I'm not a kanilea fan at all and I am sceptical until the uke has been out for a little longer. Same with Pono. I have only owned one pono (a spalted mango 8 string) that I was not overjoyed with. IT was very pretty and had a nice sound but it was very quiet and there were some issues with the ponos that were out at that time.

So as someone who hasn't and won't drink the Pono acacia kool-aid (not until I get my hands on one) or the islander kool-aid (still want to get my hands on one first) I recommend Mainland in your price range. If you wanted to stretch your budget another $50, I recommend Mele or Big Island or Ponos older/newer lines like the mahogany lines.

I just know that almost every uke company that came out with an acacia model had issues at first (think KPK, even though they are fixed now).
I also know that the last big K company that went with a cheap import line from China (Koalana by koaloha) the line was stopped b/c of the lack of QC/QA coming out of the factory. Reviews were great on these ukes at first but then the quality declined and KoAloha pulled it (at least that is how I remember it).

Top Bottom