Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Southcoast Uke Strings Convert

Cool Southcoast Uke Strings Convert

I just put a set of linear Southcoast Uke strings on my Big Island mahogany tenor, and they sound and feel great. I'm a relative noobie so it is a bit difficult for me to describe. I previously had low G Aquilas. The Southcoast strings sound mellower and warmer, yet clearer and without any loss of volume. They are also a bit easier to fret and just feel right in my hands.
    So, if you are contemplating a string change, I highly recommend trying out some Southcoast Uke strings.
    Their website is full of information about strings and I enjoyed reading the detailed information. However, I felt a bit of information overload, but a quick and helpful email exchange helped me finalize my choice.
    My cure for UAS:
    ♬ Kanile'a K-1 Tenor
    My beater:
    ♫ Makala Tenor

The beauty of Southcoast is that, if you are into it..you can read all kinds of information about how strings should work. If you are not, you can just email Dirk and ask him what he thinks, he sends the strings, and you are pleased. Currently running Southcoast on all my daily players.

I just put them on a mahogany tenor that sounded great with Worth browns, and while these feel super and have a nice ring, and I have them on a soprano and also a guitalele as the trebles, on this particular uke there is an annoying "snick" kind of sound on the A string when picked. Maybe it's just my own annoying lack of picking and strumming skills, but it is really kinda strange.

Otherwise they are a super string, I'm going to try this set on another uke, maybe a concert, and put Worth clears on the tenor and see how it sounds then. Probably just an off string. I certainly do recommend trying them, I'm sure they will be the only strings for certain ukes (some seem to sound best with one specific brand and tension), and I will be buying more.

On vintage mahogany instruments, these are wonderful sounding strings. They seem a tad bit louder than Worth clear mediums, and also the tone, projection, and intonation is very even across the fingerboard. One very strange thing, though.... they are shedding off some very fine, hair like strands (sort of like fiberglass). Is this common for Southcoast strings? I've never seen this with flourocarbons before, but I believe these may be a different material? As stated here before, Dirk is great and super helpful. I'll probably give him a call and ask about this shedding thing. Fantastic strings, though.

Aloha Hiddencross,
    I agree with you on Southcoast strings. I put g-650's on my Mele Koa Tenor and love the balance and feel I get from them. Will order more for my other ukes....................................BO........ ....................
    Uku Itch: Live It, Love It, Share It
    Mele: My Song, My Joy, My uke....
    Proud Designer and Owner of the "B&D Special" and the "Maui Kai" by Willie Wixom

Quote Originally Posted by strombolimusik View Post
    ... they are shedding off some very fine, hair like strands (sort of like fiberglass). Is this common for Southcoast strings? I've never seen this with flourocarbons before, but I believe these may be a different material? As stated here before, Dirk is great and super helpful. I'll probably give him a call and ask about this shedding thing. Fantastic strings, though.
    I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say about this. I've bought some Southcoasts (based on this and other threads) but haven't put them on yet.

Jim B

No shedding from mine. Curious. Getting ready to order some more Southcoast strings today.
    My cure for UAS:
    ♬ Kanile'a K-1 Tenor
    My beater:
    ♫ Makala Tenor

I just want to say again .. these are great strings and I would recommend them to everyone. It could just be me, I play loud and daily ... I might just be wearing them out. I am in contact with Dirk and will let you know what he sez (probably the best customer service I have ever experienced). Go order a set today!

I put a set of the G650 linear flatwounds on my LoPrinzi tenor, and like them a lot. Great string-to-string balance, both tone and tension. I agree that Dirk provides exceptional customer service. He's a merchant that not only replys to email, but actually has something of substance to say.

Agree 100%. Great on my Islander solid wood concert. Nice clear tone.

Thread Information