Southcoast Uke Strings Convert

It can happen when a string is nicked the wrong way. The manufacturer can do it, we could do it during packing, or the customer could do it in any number of ways. It could also, however, be a bad batch from the manufacturer.

The bottom line is that 3 out of 4 of those possibilities are not the customer, so we just replace sets if something like that ever happens. It hardly ever does.

Let me add my voice to the chorus of praise. I recently had an A string in a Southcoast set that just snapped while tuning it up. I emailed Dirk and he just sent me another one - no questions asked. While waiting for the string to arrive, I carefully checked the tuner, and found a tiny burr near the hole for the string. I filed it down, and no more problems. Count in in that one out of four, but Dirk came through any ways.

I have had the pleasure to talk story with Dirk down in Louisiana, and I can tell you he is a great guy, dedicated and passionate about strings and instruments. Just ordered a set of linears for my 6 string tenor.

Last edited:
That's great news. I've been a big supporter of the HML-RW but just ordered a set of the HML-FW. I'll see if the flat wound (squeakless strings) are similar. Besides the no squeaks, the diameter is slightly larger, which I will like. I personally like the squeaks and rather save a few dollars so this is just for a test.

Count me in as another convert. I bought a few sets of these strings because a friend recommended them highly and I trust his opinion on what sounds good on his ukes. So when they arrived (I got the HML-RW per his recommendation), I didn't put them on my KoAloha as I didn't want to risk high tension strings on that uke. I love my KoAloha dearly but I know I had a problem with a KoAloha in the past that had some issues with the top (they replaced it for me, yay for better than the weather warranty)!

So I put them on my Kamaka. I rarely play my Kamaka anymore but wow, it really brought that uke to life. The tone was crystal clear and the volume and projection was better than any other strings I had ever used on it in the past. I liked it so much I put another set on my Kanilea. It did the same for that uke.

I preferred my KoAloha because it's volume and tone had been better than either of those two ukes (for what it is worth, I don't mean in a blanket sense, I fully realize a given Kamaka or Kanilea can beat a given KoAloha, just among my INDIVIDUAL ukes, the KoAloha always sounded the best). I would love to see how that uke would sound with them, but I still am hesitant to put them on it. So for now, the unwound low g set stays on that uke.

I'm going out of town next week and as a default, my KoAloha was always my travel uke. I'm not sure now which uke to bring. I'll probably take one of the other two because I want more practice on the wound strings.

I'm still getting used to occasional squeaks and finger noise as I'm not usually a wound string fan. But I'll put up with a little string noise for that tone and projection out of these ukes. I'm off to order more sets now. :)

That's great news. I've been a big supporter of the HML-RW but just ordered a set of the HML-FW. I'll see if the flat wound (squeakless strings) are similar. Besides the no squeaks, the diameter is slightly larger, which I will like. I personally like the squeaks and rather save a few dollars so this is just for a test.

Ooh, I look forward to your impressions. If I can't hang with the squeaks, those were going to be the next up to try.

I wouldn't want any other strings on my ukuleles. I'm soon going to install them on my lesser played ukes too.

And let me just add that Southcoast has classical metal strings for ukes. They feel like nylon strings, sound like soft metal strings and don't put tension on your neck. I love them. If you have an electric uke put them on now. They even sound great on my Kanilea.

And, if you have a baritone lying around try the cuatro strings. Low d and low e. Great for rhythm.

I've had two sets of the ML-SW on my Compass Rose tenor. I love the smooth wound low-G, but the metal wound C created a strange echo-y harmonic. I've tried two sets with the same result. I just tried to put them on my new Compass Rose...same result! I have no idea what is going on. Same result on different shaped ukes. I have loads of E and A fluorocarbon strings from string set testings. So I end up using only the low-G...kind of pricey for just one string.

I'll have to ask Dirk if he sells single smooth wound low-Gs. I don't see that option on his website.:-(

I've had two sets of the ML-SW on my Compass Rose tenor. I love the smooth wound low-G, but the metal wound C created a strange echo-y harmonic. I've tried two sets with the same result. I just tried to put them on my new Compass Rose...same result! I have no idea what is going on. Same result on different shaped ukes. I have loads of E and A fluorocarbon strings from string set testings. So I end up using only the low-G...kind of pricey for just one string.

I'll have to ask Dirk if he sells single smooth wound low-Gs. I don't see that option on his website.:-(
Similar experience with ML-SW 3rd string. Finger pick the open 3rd string, It resonant for a much longer time than the other 3 strings with stand out volume. Two days ago I changed to HML-RW, so far so good.

That's great news. I've been a big supporter of the HML-RW.

I just bought 100 sets of these from Dirk for certain Pono Pro Classic customers and anytime someone asked for deep rich guitar like tone with a tenor low g. + just talking with Dirk today about the bigger bari's aka Tenor guitars, gotta love that guy, a real resource of study and experience, and still open toward growth. Mahalo to Dan and Len for preaching HML-RW SC to me.

Do you have any special technique for knotting the smooth wound low G for the slotted bridge of the Compass Rose? I tried these strings on my CM, but the knots were never really snug, and then the inner core of the strings started pulling out of the wound jacket. Eventually the c string popped and I had to toss the set of strings after only a week or so. Sounded lovely while they were playable tho. :)

I just bought 100 sets of these from Dirk for certain Pono Pro Classic customers and anytime someone asked for deep rich guitar like tone with a tenor low g. + just talking with Dirk today about the bigger bari's aka Tenor guitars, gotta love that guy, a real resource of study and experience, and still open toward growth. Mahalo to Dan and Len for preaching HML-RW SC to me.

Southcoast on the Big Bari would be the way to go. Love to hear it!

Do you have any special technique for knotting the smooth wound low G for the slotted bridge of the Compass Rose? I tried these strings on my CM, but the knots were never really snug, and then the inner core of the strings started pulling out of the wound jacket. Eventually the c string popped and I had to toss the set of strings after only a week or so. Sounded lovely while they were playable tho. :)

When you are buying another set there is a way to order a spare C string on the site. I just use figure 8 knots where I can and single knots on the ones that won't fit that way. I use ML-SWs exclusively on my CR. Dirk has been very helpful, and I am really really happy with my strings.

Superglue to the rescue! After the experience you describe, I put a drop of superglue on each end. Make a knot, leaving space between the superglued end and the knot. Grab the end below the knot with a pliers and pull the knot tight. If one knot is too loose, make two knots, making sure you can pull the double knots out of the slot end without damaging the bridge.

Thanks to this thread, I just bought my first set of these strings. I've been using Worth strings for my past 100+ gigs, so I'll be curious to hear how these sound.

Hello all,

This thread started out a while back, but thanks again for the kind words from those who began it and now to those who revived it as well (wahine!).

We haven't changed our attitude about constant improvement. As Andrew said, we're always open to change. Gillian and Hammond, for example, mentioned an imbalance on the 3rd string of the ML-SW set. I'll definitely look at it - I have an idea where it could be coming from. Just the same, I wouldn't want to rush into a change on that set, as it just might be the single most popular set we sell. They're working for Newportlocal, for example, and based on the sales, he's just one of thousands of happy customers.

Nonetheless, if we can tweak that set so the current customers remain happy and the ones who have had issues are happy as well, we'll do it. As I said two years ago, we really value feedback, and it is one the things that keeps us constantly improving. So - I may be sending some sample sets out to both the happy ML users and those who have heard an imbalance.

It won't happen very soon, however. We've been trying to get out a bunch of new sets for quite some time. We're just now finishing up a new operating system for the office computer, so I think the releases are just around the corner. I know there are some who have been waiting patiently. We'll have 5-string sets, 6 string sets for Baritone, 5ths tuning sets, and a more than a couple of interesting surprises. If you get the newsletter, all will be posted there as well as a series of new "String Tips" letters.

One thing I should clear up. Daniel, I must have had a "brain freeze" when I told you the HML-FWs would be thicker than the RWs. They are really almost the same - the FWs may be just a hair thinner. Sorry!

Finally as to the Pono TG. It is in some ways similar to the Classical Tenor Guitars we were building. As the future of our instrument production is suddenly in limbo, the Pono is the only instrument I know of that fits the descritption of "Parlor Classical-strung 4-string Guitar", or as some have called it here, "Big Baritone". You may have wondered why certain of our sets have a 37" string length. They were intended for just this sort of instrument (and one we made that was even bigger). Our Heavy Gauge Linear set should give "Chicago" (or standard Baritone) tuning on the TG. The HMLs may work as well for a lighter tension (the scale is just a bit different than ours). I haven't played one of these instruments. If I understand correctly, there have only been two so far, and one of the buyers has already contacted us about strings.

These instruments might have a lot of potential. On our "Specialty" page, are two "teasers" of tunings that are aimed for this sort of instrument. We had put them on the back burner, as we were the only people making such a beast, but if Pono is doing one now, take a look at the samples we posted. Until a newsletter on them comes out, I'll leave the details to your imagination - but the sound of both set-ups is very nice.

Thanks again!

p.s: Joe, your strings are over the Pacific!

Last edited:
Top Bottom