Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't know what to do :( could someone help...?

Unhappy I don't know what to do :( could someone help...?

Hey guys, I know this is kind of a weird question to ask, but I wanted your opinions on what I should do. So I posted the other day that I wanted to give my old uke away to a friend, the thing is, I had to ask my parents permission first since they purchased it for me. My mom said no, however I really think this uke deserves a new life and a new home. The uke was purchased about 5-6 years ago for around $250-300, and I only played it for about 2 years before I got my Kamaka. I don't play it at all anymore since it sits in my room, but I really really wanna give it away does anybody have some advice on how I can convince them to let me send it? Thanks
    Chee Pono!!!

I think it would help to know why your mom is opposed to your selling your old ukulele. Did you ask her why she said "no"? If you can address whatever her concerns are, maybe you can change her mind. Does she know that you don't play it now that you have a Kamaka? If it's about the fact that your parents bought it or you, maybe you could offer to repay them for it?

Quote Originally Posted by mds725 View Post
    I think it would help to know why your mom is opposed to your selling your old ukulele. Did you ask her why she said "no"? If you can address whatever her concerns are, maybe you can change her mind. Does she know that you don't play it now that you have a Kamaka? If it's about the fact that your parents bought it or you, maybe you could offer to repay them for it?
    Yea, she said no because we paid a lot of money for it, and she doesn't think it's right that I just give something that expensive away to someone. And she knows I don't use it at all because I have my Kamaka. I asked her if I could pay her back, but she still insisted no.
    Chee Pono!!!

Oh, and I forgot to mention, this "friend" of mine, is actually a YouTube girl, and she is really a nice and talented musician. The thing is, she doesn't have the money to buy herself a uke, and has to borrow her friends one to play. I "think" my mom opposes because I hardly know her, but I really think she deserves it...

This is her channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/BarelyAsian5
    Please check her out and support her vids
    Last edited by kamaka_4_life; 01-08-2012 at 07:21 AM.
    Chee Pono!!!

1. How old are you?
    2. If you are over 18, seriously, the thing is yours and you can do as you wish.

I had a parent who never actually "gave" anything. If you got a present, it would end up back with the parent somehow, when it suited his purpose. That is not a way to give presents. As a matter of fact, I did something to annoy said parent (couldn't control my teenage brother when they went on holiday, duh, and went to college and paid for it after he ripped up my scholarship) and all my musical instruments were "returned" home. They are, after 40 years, still there rotting in the desert heat.

The moral of the story is, a gift is a gift. However, if you are underage and living under a parent's roof, you have to abide by their rules. However, technically, if someone gives you something as "yours" it is YOURS. You could run it under a bus. That would show bad judgment, and they'd be unlikely to give you anything again but morally you could...

I suggest you converse with your mom and let her know your musicianship has grown to to a point where the new ukulele is more suited to your skill and that the previous ukulele needs a new home because good as it is, you have progressed and OUTGROWN it. Perhaps you could sell it. It may be the give away that is bothering her. Money out the door.
    Ukes: Mainland mahogany tenor, Eleuke Tenor Solid Cutaway Sunburst
    Guitars: Yamaha GS-90, Marcario flamenco negra, Cordoba Protege 3/4

I'd insist that the money spent on the uke would be wasted if it were just to sit around the house not being used. If they still disagree with you, well unfortunately there isn't much more you can do bar disobeying your parents. They did pay for it after all.
    "Happiness is only real when it's shared."

Give it a while. Maybe she's expecting you to forget about it or move on to other things. I vote give it time, and when your mom sees you still haven't forgotten about it, maybe she'll relent.
    Riddler: You and your trained, exploding shark!
    Penguin: How was I supposed to know they'd have a can of shark repellent Bat-spray handy?

Youtube #1! http://www.youtube.com/user/austinlove1
    Youtube #2! http://www.youtube.com/user/tinafishes

I moved to Mongolia! And I'm blogging about it! http://kulturschocked.wordpress.com/

That is a tough one. I am all for honoring your parent. I'm not sure what the best thing to do with that. I mean, as a parent myself, I am always proud of any of my kids that have a giving heart and want to give to someone that doesn't have. Maybe explain to her that you just feel to give to someone less fortunate is a good thing, and she should be proud that you have that mindset.
    Mahalo Ke Akua
    ------------------
    Ohana SK-35 a.k.a. "IZ"
    Ohana SK-21 a.k.a. "Ku'u poki'i <Kapookie>"
    Lanikai LU-21 a.k.a. "Cinderella"
    Epiphone Les Paul Concert Uke "Lil' Lester"
    Harmony Banjo Uke a.k.a. "Bango"
    Gibson Les Paul a.k.a. "Hobo Ted"
    Epiphone Les Paul Studio a.k.a. "Barnabas"
    Epiphone Les Paul a.k.a. "Blaze"
    Gretsch Tenor Banjo a.k.a. "Jed"
    Supertone 406, 5 string Banjo a.k.a. "GrandPa Jones"
    Fernendes Telecaster "Suemeh"

And I "secretly" have a crush on her, which I did not mention LOLOL

This is her channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/BarelyAsian5
    Please check her out and support her vids
    Dude, you just announced it on the internet..

Pretty much this. She could be just wrong, as in the below example.

Or she could know you better than you know yourself, know completely what your feelings are, and doesn't want to see you taken advantage of. It's not uncommon for musicians to keep their first instrument, and frankly if I was her, you'd get the same answer. I mean I met my husband online, but that was us, and I don't trust YouTube girl. If that's the feeling I get, then imagine the feeling your mom gets. YouTube girls should feel the same for you regardless of the gifts you bribe her with. Mom is protecting you, even if you think you haven't told her anything.

Or, if she's just controlling, and in these years that side does tend to come out, then move. Then you can do what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd View Post
    1. How old are you?
    2. If you are over 18, seriously, the thing is yours and you can do as you wish.

I had a parent who never actually "gave" anything. If you got a present, it would end up back with the parent somehow, when it suited his purpose. That is not a way to give presents. As a matter of fact, I did something to annoy said parent (couldn't control my teenage brother when they went on holiday, duh, and went to college and paid for it after he ripped up my scholarship) and all my musical instruments were "returned" home. They are, after 40 years, still there rotting in the desert heat.

The moral of the story is, a gift is a gift. However, if you are underage and living under a parent's roof, you have to abide by their rules. However, technically, if someone gives you something as "yours" it is YOURS. You could run it under a bus. That would show bad judgment, and they'd be unlikely to give you anything again but morally you could...

I suggest you converse with your mom and let her know your musicianship has grown to to a point where the new ukulele is more suited to your skill and that the previous ukulele needs a new home because good as it is, you have progressed and OUTGROWN it. Perhaps you could sell it. It may be the give away that is bothering her. Money out the door.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

Thread Information