BAZZUKA - my bass uke

leewot

Reaction score
Let me know what you think of this please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=8W9Hopp1O1I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is the prototype , I need to release the strings so I can fit a violin style 'soundpost' between the front soundboard and rear skin , this will brace it against the stress of through stringing but also in theory might add to the sound 'volume'... Though as a uke is dampened against a body unlike the violin body this might not work, it also needs some slight tweaks to action by adjusting the nut and the intonation by adjusting the bridge a tiny amount...

Please like I said let me know what you think?

Thanks for sharing, that's very interesting. The shortest scale so far too.

Is it standard EADG tuning?

And what material are the strings?

Thanks for the comments:
the strings are standard Hartke bass strings trimmed down, ( I had them laying around and will put a better set on when it's all fully set up) I havent yet run it through a tuner or done a side by side tune to another instrument, but the strings are tuned to each other in the EADG form.. though I think it's actually deeper that that as the strings are relatively low tension its got quite a deep natural tone.

when Ive fitted the 'soundpost' and sorted the action / intonation I will tune it up till the tension feels good and see where it sounds.... I think it will be louder with tighter strings too!

Last edited:
If they're metal strings, I'd be first concerned whether the neck of a soprano uke can handle it.
It may be ok, since your tension is really low.

Then the next issue is whether the frets can handle it. The frets are designed to have soft nylon strings, and wound metal could wear it out pretty quick.

Are you aware there are rubbery strings that are designed for "bass ukes"?
Perhaps using the black polyurethane strings for UBASS and Ashbory bass could be a better solution?

I heard that Aquila have a new bass ukulele string coming out too.

Thanks, yes the Ashbory and Kala are my inspiration!
Lovely instruments, This project just proves to me how good their products are!

Regarding fret wear, thanks I'd not gave that a single thought
Re : the neck.. I Had thought about that, but It's a stubby fat neck I think it will be ok

As my project is a prototype I'm learning from it as I go.
I have a set of Road Toad Pahoehoe strings which I was hoping to use, but I'm not good enough at this yet to build a bridge that will fit them ( they are too fat for standard adjustable bridges) and I needed adjustable as I wasn't likely to get the intonation/action right first time unless I was lucky beyond where I've ever been lucky before!
also with those strings I'd have needed to fit oversized tuners (I've seen them at $20/4 for Ashbory on the net) but it would mean a fair amount of work on the headstock drilling, filling and finishing.

All in all this is why I've took the metal string route on this 1st project.
I've now fitted the sound post and adjust the action/intonation and it tunes to standard bass guitar EADG with the string tension feeling comfortable - I've been playing bass for 30+ years , less for guitar and the last 2 I've took on uke so have a reasonable idea of when the string tension feels right to me.

Next project will include those Pahoehoe string as they are to expensive to not use!
Also I've read some stuff about WeedWackers line ( waht we call strimmer line in the UK) being used on double bass ..so maybe?

wow I'm really liking the development. Perhaps the smallest bass yet

Top Bottom