Considering Purchasing a Guitar... Am I Selling Out??

Learning another instrument is not like wanting another wife :) Although I am sure someone in this forum will challenge me on that.

Go for it. There are many musicians/singers out there who can play several instruments. I am sure you be glad after learning another musical instrument.

A standard guitar is way bigger than a uke. The classical guitar especially will get you to do some serious fingers streching.

Last edited:
I've tried my mom's old guitar a few times, it just isn't my type of thing.

Nah. Getting a BARITONE guitar, maybe. ;)

+1 for the Yamaha guitalele, I can't get my fingers to let go of it, and anytime I take it out thinking about selling it, I slap myself and think "What?! Am I crazy?" Don't answer that please.

The guitalele is awesome for the price. It will need a setup but be very nice when done. Then after you figure out if six strings are for you, you can go up in scale. I really like the 19 inch scale guitars I have. It seems to be about all I can reach.

Last edited:
Haven't read the whole thread yet. But thought I would reply anyway. No, your not selling out. Music crosses over many instruments, especially amoung the same family (in this case strings). Many expand their love of making music and cross bridges. unless ya just burn the bridge, they go in both directions. I started out many years ago playing bass. A few short years, expanded into guitar, but still playing bass too. Many years later, expanded even more to the uke. I love them all. I like uke for what it is. I like guitar for what it is. Love bass, for what it is. I wish I could play them all at the same time, but sorry, they have to share.. ;). When I moved to Uke, I never felt I was abandoning guitar, so why should someone that moves to guitar feel they feel they are abandoning the uke?

Well said Tudorp. Variety is the spice of life. Round out your skills early, you never know when you are asked. "Do you play folk, or rock, or classical.? Whenever you have experienced them all then you just say....Don't thank me, just pay me.

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I am excited to see what happens when I do pick one up. I am thinking that I might do it in the next month or so once I shop around and determine exactly what I am looking for.

I like the sound and versatility of a guitar. The sustain that steel strings + larger body produces is certainly very useful, and it's no surprise why the guitar is such a popular and successful instrument.

However, I could never play 6 strings, and I really do not like the narrower spacings between the strings.

But I did find a way to enjoy a "guitar", without having to "learn to play a guitar".

I got one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3372-C-Ozar...ruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item5ae4879519

Some of the best money I ever spent.
Tune it to baritone ukulele tuning (DGBE) just using regular DGBE acoustic guitar strings, and voila. You have something that produces a guitar tone, but is played like a uke.

And not only that, it's a great instrument to boot. You get a bright, full sounding solid spruce top, great gloss + vintage sunburst finish and great craftsmanship and design. The electronics are one of the best I've encountered on an acoustic-electric and plus you get a great quality custom hardcase!

Last edited:
Adding an instrument to your life, if you have the time and means, is an enriching experience. As others on this thread have mentioned, it actually enhances your musical abilities rather than detracts from them to add to your range of musical competency.

I play japanese bamboo flute and in need to some more melodic balance I started to play the mountain dulcimer. The dulcimer seemed easy to learn and play compared to the flute. Now that I stumbled upon the uke the dulcimer has gathered a bit of dust and I think if I had met the uke first the dulcimer might not have been able to compete. Throughout this musical journey the flute has held its own and I dedicate my most serious practice time to it but, between you and me, I have the most fun when I play the uke.

So, forge ahead, expand your musical horizons, its likely to be fun and fascinating for you.

Nah, you're not selling out, you are just naturally progressing to a real instrument now, it happens sometimes :)

(webby ducks for cover !)

lol

Make no mistake.... The Uke is as real as it gets. The guitar will always be second fiddle, so to speak...

Perhaps the ukulele is like marijuana.......
A gateway drug to the music world!
Yikes! I just realized I am a junkie!
Now they will try to make me go to rehab and I'll say No! No! No!

All kind words, but I'm getting the tar and the feathers.

You are not selling out at all. I started with the ukulele, got okay at it, then went to the guitar, and became a better uke player because of it. There are more guitar masters than ukulele masters (unfortunately), so learning the guitar will make you a better ukulele player. Good luck.

Top Bottom