What song/songs...

freedive135

Reaction score
are you going to try and learn today???

For me...
Easy-Jamaica Farewell add a chunk strum
Hard-Banana Sunday fingerstyle

I know Deach is workin on I'm Yours so that doesn't count!!!!

At some point this weekend (so not necessarily today), I'm thinking about copying out "Let's Fall in Love" from the Harold Arlen songbook and into my uke book (aka a three ring binder).
I can already play it adequately, but it'll just be easier to practice without page turning and I can toss some different chord voicings into the mix at the transfer for good measure which helps expand my chord vocabulary.

(Also considering tinkering around with "I'm Beginning to See the Light". Found a couple different versions to mess with...)

And to keep reading the manual on the Multi-track recorder I got recently and to turn one or more of the ukulele things I've come up with into 1's & 0's to see what happens. Hopefully to have a presentable recording to practice mixing and mastering with as I figure out how to work the new machine...

But first I have to pry the old license plates off and change them. (which will include sawing the head off at least one rusted bolt...) The ukes can wait. The plates cannot.

I just completed a club arrangement for "I SAW HER STANDING THERE", by The Beatles. The strum is: 1 and a 2 and a 1 and a 2... . The "1" is "whipped" like a harpsichord, for a staccato effect. Ric

I sat out on the back porch this morning and tried muddling my way through the Lyle Ritz arrangement of Home on the Range (from "Lyle Lite").

Later, my girlfriend and I tried doing Hame Pila as a "dueling" duet, as suggested in "Hawaiian Uke Tunebook". :rock:

JJ

Dragon!!!! sooooo close to getting the whole song down!

once i get that down crazy G. seems fun:D

At some point this weekend (so not necessarily today), I'm thinking about copying out "Let's Fall in Love" from the Harold Arlen songbook and into my uke book (aka a three ring binder).
Is that the one that starts, "Birds do it, bees do it?" I've been meaning to get together with a female uker friend of mine and work that up as a duet.

(Also considering tinkering around with "I'm Beginning to See the Light". Found a couple different versions to mess with...)
I have a nice version of that. Snake Suspenderz does it all the time. It may be one that you've found. I've attached a pdf I made some time ago (using ukepix and its ancillary programs... GhostView and such...) for anyone who's interested.

I just completed a club arrangement for "I SAW HER STANDING THERE", by The Beatles.
Interestingly enough, I've been noodling around with "I'm So Tired" by the Beatles, thanks to you posting that cool link to the OLGA pdf. What a fabulous chord progression!

Attachments

• Beginning To See The Light.pdf
    7.1 KB · Views: 10
I'm currently working on Goodbye My Lover, by James Blunt.

Is that the one that starts, "Birds do it, bees do it?" I've been meaning to get together with a female uker friend of mine and work that up as a duet.

You're thinking of "Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love)" by Cole Porter. Great song in its own right. (Noel Coward did a really funny version of that one in his Vegas act where he made up a bunch of verses about various celebrities.)

The "Let's Fall In Love" I'm looking at is the one by Harold Arlen. Similar name, different song. Nice mellow swing and actually one of the easier songs for him. (He's also is responsible for a little song called "Over the Rainbow" which some of you may be familiar with from somewhere)

I picked up the songbook because a friend wanted to do one called "Happiness is a Thing Called Joe" which is b*tch of a song to learn/remember. (It doesn't have a verse/chorus structure. It starts and goes essentially straight through to the end with little variations for every line.) There's quite a few in this book that I'm eventually going to work on. The beauty of which is that some songs are actually already tabbed with ukulele chords which makes life so much easier.

I'll have a look at your "Beginning to See the Light" Thanks. Never enough decent tabs for great songs like that.

(And as long as you're talking about working on duets, let me whisper "Baby, It's Cold Outside" in your ear. That'd kill.)

Jackie Wilson - Higher and Higher
Jason Mraz - I'll Do Anything
Easy Like Sunday Morning
Various Sublime songs
Story of the Year - Sidewalks (I want to see how it sounds with a ukulele)
Social Distortion - Ball and Chain
Alkaline Trio - Every Thug Needs a Lady

Chronic insomnia, only 8 hours a week of work, and only 11 units in community college make up for lots of time with my instruments. The weather is also too weird for golf and it hasn't snowed in Southern California yet.

"Dooley" by the Darlings

That song makes me cry...

Actually, you've inspired me to plunk around with "There is a Time". One of my fave Dillards (and therefore, Darlings) tunes.

Hold on to your hats, boys, it's a number chart...

Code:
6- 6- 6- 6-
1  1  6- 6-
1  1  6- 6-
2- 5  6- 6-

The Dillards seem to usually do it in A- (relative minor of C, so 6- = A-, 1 = C, 2- = D-, 5 = G). But on the show, the "Darlings" moved it up a whole step, probably so Charlene could sing it better (6- = B-, 1 = D, 2- = E-, 5 = A).

Next I'm going to learn "Don't Hit Your Grandma With a Great Big Stick". :D

JJ

freedive135 said:
are you going to try and learn???
I intentionally omitted "today". My biggest nemesis is traditional Hawaiian mele; remembering the melody of the song, enunciation of hawaiian lyrics and especially phrasing as the song is being played.

You're thinking of "Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love)" by Cole Porter.
Yes, I was. I even knew that it was a Porter song so why I had the brainfreeze I'll never know. :eek:

The "Let's Fall In Love" I'm looking at is the one by Harold Arlen.
Beautiful tune. Thanks!

(And as long as you're talking about working on duets, let me whisper "Baby, It's Cold Outside" in your ear. That'd kill.)
It's already on the list. :)

anything. lol. i just deffinetely need a tutorial though. tabs can only help me so much. im not that kind of learner.

I'm just working on some of the riffs Woodshed posts up on ukulelehunt.com.

I just have about 'Sweet Child of Mine' solidly committed to both memory and muscle memory, next will be AC/DC 'Back in Black'.

Top Bottom