Issues with strumming...

Allsixcolours

Reaction score
Hey UU!

I have been absorbing a wealth of knowledge about playing the Ukulele for the past few days, but one thing I can't quite seem to get the hang of is strumming. I have read about and seen multiple ways, but find the classic "index finger" method to sound the best. Which is all fine and well, but I can't seem to pull it off. String instruments are new to me, so I have not had any experiences to aid me in the matter. The problem I am having is my finger getting caught on both down and upstrokes by the first string to be hit, respectively. But if I raise my finger any higher away from the strings, I don't even hit them. Has anyone else experienced this, or had similar problems? Anyone know of a video or guide that they found especially helpful when they were first starting? Thanks a lot for your help and advice.

Sounds like the same problems I had when I first started playing the uke (my first stringed instrument). Day by day it get's better as you refine your strumming technique. The motion is like trying to flick water off your wet hand (if it were wet).

Try to strum without trying to strum.

What I mean is relax your hand and index finger. Don't consciously attempt to strum the strings by being overly aware of your index finger.

Flicking water off your wet hand is a very good analogy. You really just want to pivot your wrist allowing the tip of your index finger to contact the strings.

You'll soon learn the correct distance to hold your hand above the strings while you "flick."

I found that if I strummed at the fretboard just before it hits the body I could keep my finger lower (?) and always hit the strings without getting caught on the bottom string during the upstroke. Hitting the edge of the fretboard first gets my fingertip into the right orientation before getting to the strings it seems.

That could be all wrong but it's working for me right now. Hopefully, I'll be able to go to the uke fest in Vancouver next month and talk face-to-face with people who really know what they're doing. :)

Chris P.

Scrub to the 1:50 mark on the first video to get to strumming.

The problem I am having is my finger getting caught on both down and upstrokes by the first string to be hit, respectively. But if I raise my finger any higher away from the strings, I don't even hit them.
Your index finger should be relaxed, not rigid. Your fingernail should be trimmed fairly short. One thing you can try is to use the broad surface of the fingernail for the down strum and then the meaty portion of your fingertip for the up strum. Basically all nail down and no nail up. Start very slow so you hear the nail/fingertip hit each string.

Aldrine did show what I described in a video somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, happy to have people so willing to help. I think I might be confused as to how the hand is supposed to be positioned. Like, in Aldrine's video he says to just point your finger towards you and flick your wrist (Like the wet hand analogy above). But if I do that, I end up hitting the strings with the side of my finger, which is rigid no matter how relaxed my hand is simply because fingers don't typically bend sideways. Am I supposed to be turning the hand so the pad of my finger is pointing up and the nail down? It seems like it may be easier to get the nail down pad up strum mentioned. Hopefully it is not too arduous to be assisting me, I am quite mixed up :rolleyes: Thanks again!

Am I supposed to be turning the hand so the pad of my finger is pointing up and the nail down? It seems like it may be easier to get the nail down pad up strum mentioned.
You don't really need to turn the hand much to hit the broadside of the fingernail on the down strum. I suggested this as sort of the extreme end of the spectrum where it's nearly impossible to "catch" the nail or finger on any string. From here you can adjust to where it sounds the best to you.

I actually started using my middle fingernail on the down strum and then the index fingertip on the up strum. I just try to make sure I'm comfortable and my hand, wrist or shoulders don't start to tense or tighten up after playing for a while.

There's no "correct" way to strum a ukulele. A good way to improve your strumming technique is to play very slowly and very softly for a while, then increase both tempo and volume a notch and play for a while, repeat until you're playing at the volume and tempo you like.

(Playing slowly and softly is a good method to learn new skills in general, not just for strumming.)

Or just keep playing (and keep having fun); soon your strumming will sound and feel great.

For what it's worth, Allsixcolours, I'm right there with you!

As a fellow beginner, I'm doing exactly the same thing.. getting 'caught' and hung up on the first string, or hitting some strings harder than others, missing strings, and catching my fingernail.

I've had better luck using my middle finger because, hey, it's longer and easier to brace with the thumb.

I figure this will all come together at some point with practice, but I admit I'm relieved to see someone else perplexed enough to post.

Top Bottom