classical guitar strings

dancingflee

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Are there anyone you know who use classical guitar string on your ukulele? Just curious because a schoolmate told me that his elder brother has normal tension classical guitar strings on his Low G tuned tenor pono ukulele.

Is this possible? Are there anyone in this forum who have classical guitar strings (D-G-B-E) for Low G (G-C-E-A) tuning?

Thank you for any piece of advice you may have.

dancingflee

Yep. Using Daddario T2's right now on Kamaka Tenor. Sounds great. Savarez is a popular choice too. Even the J71s that Jake uses are just semi-repackaged classical guitar strings.

Search for other threads. Very informative discussions out there.

Hello everyone,

Are there anyone you know who use classical guitar string on your ukulele? Just curious because a schoolmate told me that his elder brother has normal tension classical guitar strings on his Low G tuned tenor pono ukulele.

Is this possible? Are there anyone in this forum who have classical guitar strings (D-G-B-E) for Low G (G-C-E-A) tuning?

Thank you for any piece of advice you may have.

dancingflee
Using Classical Guitar Strings on an Ukulele by Curt Sheller. There are several threads regarding this topic.

Using Daddario T2's right now on Kamaka Tenor. Sounds great.
Normal, hard or extra-hard tension? Something like this?

G = guitar E, T4501 Single T2 Titanium .028 Normal
C = guitar G, T4503 Single T2 Titanium .040 Normal
E = guitar B, T4502 Single T2 Titanium .032 Normal
A = guitar E, T4501 Single T2 Titanium .028 Normal

Yep. Using Daddario T2's right now on Kamaka Tenor. Sounds great. Savarez is a popular choice too. Even the J71s that Jake uses are just semi-repackaged classical guitar strings.

Search for other threads. Very informative discussions out there.
Available from Big City String Co. D-J71TG . . . This is the D'Addario T-2 String set (low G) packaged for a Uke. And from Just Strings - Savarez Ukulele Strings

Last edited:

I use HARD for g then normal for CEA. If you prefer more tension, then use HARD for strings 1-3 then xtraHARD for 4. Depends on personal pref.

A famous user of classical guitar strings is actually jake shimabukuro, he uses the Daddario extra hard tension strings.
I also use the same strings but mine is re-entrant like jake's.

Thank you for sharing and I noticed that most use hard or extra hard tension strings. I am thinking of using the Addario EXP45 Coated Silver-Plated normal tension strings on Low G tuning. Aside from the bigger punch higher tension may provide may you please provide me any more difference between the two. On my classical guitars I have Savarez Crystals with normal trebles and high bass tension strings. I love the mellow balance of the normal trebles and the big punch of the high tension bass. Is this the same case with a Low G tuned ukulele?

You folks have been a lot of help in my journey through the world of ukulele.....thank you!

I use the T4601 for the G string. That is what Nuprin recommended for me on a Spruce T / Koa B&S.

For Pro Artes, does anyone have a low G recommendation? I think I prefer them over the T2s.

I use HARD for g then normal for CEA.
Thanks. That's what I ordered along with a set of uke J71s. Musician's Friend has the single T2s for 99¢ each and the J71 set for $4. These will be my first string changes.

Folks, has anyone tried the Addario Low G set strings? I heard they have wound G strings which I prefer.

Thank you for the feedback and I ask only because they are the only ones available in my area and there are very few, very few music stores that carry a good variety of ukulele strings. Don't have a lot of time to drive around looking for a good set as I am working on a school paper for graduation and am apprehensive ordering on the web. Have been burned before.

The low G sets I've been trailing now are Hilo's. A guitar like sound that many who want the low G seem to prefer.

I get most of my strings from Elderly Instruments. Ordered on line and have always had excellent service.

Folks, has anyone tried the Addario Low G set strings? I heard they have wound G strings which I prefer.

Thank you for the feedback and I ask only because they are the only ones available in my area and there are very few, very few music stores that carry a good variety of ukulele strings. Don't have a lot of time to drive around looking for a good set as I am working on a school paper for graduation and am apprehensive ordering on the web. Have been burned before.
What's the set designation for the low G D'Addario? They have the D-J71TG (Titanium, low G) but I'm not sure which string was used to make the set. It does say silver wound. The D-EJ87T is the Titanium set.

Hello folks, I have been learning to play the ukulele since my last post on Low G tuning. I am now getting the hang of it and beginning to have fun. Currently I have Pro Artes EXP normals am I love the mellow, sweet sound my Pono has finally come up with.

Thank you folks for your patience. Priceless!

Now back to school work:)

Top Bottom