A rare show and tell...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
The image says it all - client let this one bounce off from agreat height onto the corner pf a table and then onto a stone floor. Front was detached in the lower bout and split on the other side of the top as well, huge compression dent and fracture seen repaired in the photo, side split in two places. Needed a complete respray after the work was done but turned out great and sounds fantastic still.

uke-008.jpg

Sadly, client hasn't paid for the work or collected it yet... Photo courtesy of David Edwell.

Soooo......

If the client never shows up, how long before it goes up for grabs, and how much? (wink, wink, wink...)

Yeah, I am kidding. However, as a consumer, and a music lover, I find it unconscionable that someone who has a broken instrument and brings it in to be repaired has ignored it.

I have a Vagabond Travel Guitar I bought around 20+ years ago, which has been damaged - a large, heavy book vibrated off the top of a bookshelf, struck the soundboard, and split the wood along the pickguard. I contacted the luthier who made it, explained what happened, and asked how much to fix it. The price he gave was approximately 2/3 of the cost of the instrument. My next question was twofold: I want to bring it to you (90 minute drive), rather than ship it, so where shall I go? And Cash, check, or credit card? I'll pay when I drop it off.

That was 8 years ago - haven't gotten a response since.

It's hanging on a wall now, and even if he responds, I may never get it done.

-Kurt​

Kurt
I know the guy and am sure there is a good reason - I just don't want to bug him just yet though I have tried earnestly to get in touch. I may have to sell it so please get in touch - however I note that you 'may not need another ukulele'... whatever gives you that idea? Anyway this is what the rest of it looks like:

PHU-T4Bling.jpg

Abalone border you can'ty see too well but it shows the usual Howlett understated elegance...

Well mr. Howlett.
If the uke has to be sold. I'd be interrested in it.
But I think he must have his reasons for not getting in touch with you.

Please feel free to PM me.

Top Bottom