notes and tabs...specifically arranged for Low G....

dancingflee

Reaction score
Hello folks, here I go again. I have successfully stringed my ukulele to Low G (just can remember the technical name) and am very happy BUT when I look at notes/tabs for ukulele (fingerpicking) most are written for High G.

May I still be able to play the same notes/tabs on a Low G tuned ukulele...will the standard ukulele chords still apply to a Low G tuning?

Please understand that I may have a good number of years with the classical guitar but am only a few days old in this new endeavor and I still want to play a good solo on a ukulele like I do with a classical guitar.

Help please....

Raygf's link is really good. To answer your question, no not all high G sounds good on a re-entrant tuning. As you play new tunes you will take notice whether the low G sounds good or not. I have two tenor ukes with one set for low G. I have probably only a dozen or so tunes that sound good with the low G. But I also play fingerstyle tabs rather than strumming for most of my playing.

I have successfully stringed my ukulele to Low G (just can remember the technical name) and am very happy BUT when I look at notes/tabs for ukulele (fingerpicking) most are written for High G.
Low G is probably more easily understood. Some folks will not understand if you say linear tuning.

The chord fingering will be the same either re-entrant or linear, but the tone/sound will be different. If you are finger picking a melody, then any note on the 4th string will be one octave lower; basically it won't work. This is one reason why I've decided to stick with re-entrant tuning for at least my first year. Most of the tutorials and/or tabs of songs I want to work on are for high G.

Thank you dancingflea for this thread. Also Raygf for the link to the other low G thread. BBQUKER I also find I favour finger picking more than strumming chords. When I try to sing along it is a mixture of both, just like everyone else I suppose. The cat even wakes up if I sing something she likes. Thanks again Drew Bear for welcoming me on the 12th of the month.

Thank you folks for everything....

Ray, thanks for link, it is great. BBQUKER, I guess you are right. I might just be on the market for another ukulele but in the meantime I will stick with the Low G for a some "instant gratification." Drew, today I experimented and have decided to fret higher or lower on the
4th. Hey Jim, I envy you for your singing talent. I too have a cat and always ran away when I started singing. I will no longer try to sing while I am still living with my folks or they might throw me out.

Thank you folks.

Top Bottom