Hey Everyone! You can CLOSE your own "For Sale" threads when your item sells now!

I'm against closing your own thread, and actually feel Admins sometimes close sales threads too early already.
A while ago I purchased a uke off the sales forum and it had undisclosed problems with it. After no help or even compromise from the seller (he actually was very rude), I wanted to post a follow-up in that sales thread on how the purchase went. I was not able to because the thread was already closed.
When purchasing a uke from the sales forum, one of the 1st things I do is a forum search for that seller. The next time this jerk sells a uke, potential buyers don't get to do this kind of research if a seller can quickly close a thread as soon as the $$$ is in his pocket.

I'm against closing your own thread, and actually feel Admins sometimes close sales threads too early already.
A while ago I purchased a uke off the sales forum and it had undisclosed problems with it. After no help or even compromise from the seller (he actually was very rude), I wanted to post a follow-up in that sales thread on how the purchase went. I was not able to because the thread was already closed.
When purchasing a uke from the sales forum, one of the 1st things I do is a forum search for that seller. The next time this jerk sells a uke, potential buyers don't get to do this kind of research if a seller can quickly close a thread as soon as the $$$ is in his pocket.
You can start a new thread and refer to the closed thread should any issues arise. If the thread needs to be reopened, contact any of the Mods via PM and why the thread should be reopened. I don't think any of us are unreasonable. What would you recommend as a waiting time before the thread is closed. I know of a couple issues that arose after the instrument was received and I don't recall if they were resolved. For the most part, the majority of the transactions have gone without a hitch.

You can start a new thread and refer to the closed thread should any issues arise. If the thread needs to be reopened, contact any of the Mods via PM and why the thread should be reopened. I don't think any of us are unreasonable. What would you recommend as a waiting time before the thread is closed. I know of a couple issues that arose after the instrument was received and I don't recall if they were resolved. For the most part, the majority of the transactions have gone without a hitch.

I thought of that, but didn't want to turn it into a public fight, especially since these are the kind of things that tend to take-off.
I was going to simply post at the end of the sales thread, "Ukulele significantly different than advertised, I cannot recommend this seller. PM me for details before buying from him".
It sometimes takes a week to week & half to get the uke in the mail, so IMO 2 weeks is a safe time to close a sales thread.

I thought of that, but didn't want to turn it into a public fight, especially since these are the kind of things that tend to take-off.
I was going to simply post at the end of the sales thread, "Ukulele significantly different than advertised, I cannot recommend this seller. PM me for details before buying from him".
It sometimes takes a week to week & half to get the uke in the mail, so IMO 2 weeks is a safe time to close a sales thread.
I purge through the Marketplace threads every 2/3 weeks or so and close the ones that have sold (mostly the older ones) and it takes a bit to do so. If the OP requests to close the post, we do so. Personally I don't forsee a problem with your statement especially if the seller is not forthright. As I said, the success rate of transactions in the Marketplace is damn good.

Yup.

I wonder if the administrator did not make the change for all member groups (i.e., UUVIP).

View attachment 32642

That's exactly what I didn't do.

I just now made the change for all groups, so everyone should see that Administrative link now. PM me with any problems.

Like Kanaka916 said, just PM one of the mods should a situation like that arise.

I suppose you could always start a new thread in which you include a link to the old (closed) thread.

I am trying to close a thread and don't see the Administrative Button you speak of. I am in logged in of course, am I close?
Trey

ok, someone, maybe the marketplace police, who missed out on the sale told me to close the thread, and I did, but, it's still there.

I understand the need to close "for sale" threads that are completed and understand the mechanics of it. My question concerns the removal of the final selling price from the thread. Is this a common practice or even a requirement? I participate in other forums that have a marketplace sub-forum and leaving the selling price in the thread is encouraged or even required. I find it an extremely valuable tool when researching a particular item...either from a buyer's or seller's perspective. If I had an instrument I wanted to sell, it would be quite useful to see how much similar items sold for and not post it at a too-low or too-high price. Same for buying; it gives you help in determining the true market value.

Comments?

Last edited:
I participate in other forums that have a marketplace sub-forum and leaving the selling price in the thread is encouraged or even required. I find it an extremely valuable tool when researching a particular item...either from a buyer's or seller's perspective.

Comments?

Great point! It can be frustrating when researching an item only to discover that price has been deleted. I've found that I spend much less of my time researching when it comes to forums I belong to that require price to remain in sales threads. It's also extremely handy when reselling an item you previously purchased, were you can link to the thread and show proof of what you paid to put potential buyers at ease.

super admin, good call on closing that thread on the kamaka HF3.
the seller is a dealer listed on Reverb.

Top Bottom