ʻOiwi 6 String Tenor Review

mokupuni

Reaction score
This is a review of a custom ʻŌiwi 6 String Tenor by luthier David K. Tachera of South San Francisco, CA made in 2011.
http://oiwiukulele.com/

Features
  • Top: Solid Matched Curly Koa
  • Pickup: K&K Twin Spot Passive piezo transducer
  • Body and neck woods: Body; bookmatched curly koa, rosewood binding, milowood purfling. Neck; mahogany; Bridge and Fret Board; ebony
  • Finish: Gloss
  • Body style: 6 String Tenor
  • Bridge style: Tie block bridge; bone nut and saddle.
  • Tuners: Waverly open geared tuners (ebony buttons)
  • Neck/Scale: 17” scale with 22 frets
  • Included accessories: Oʻahu hard case; tuner; winder; set of strings; polish; polishing cloth
    [*] Other Features
  • Fretboard has ebony binding on sides with embedded abalone dots on top and sides.
  • Abalone and milowood rosette
  • String configuration from top to bottom: G2/C3/C4/E4/A3/A4.
  • Custom nut and bridge carved to accommodate personally requested string configuration above.

Sound
  • How does it suit your music style? After beginning to seriously learn Hawaiian music in the late 1990s, my dream has been to emulate my idol, the late Kawai Cockett. A traditional Hawaiian music icon of the 1980s and 1990s, Mr. Cockett’s self proclaimed style was to play and sing mele to feature hula. He had unique strum patterns and the six string ʻukulele he used was also unique at the time. Not many were being made. The string configuration of the six strings also produced a very special and unique sound. Well, with this ʻukulele, that sound lives on!
  • Biography
  • http://music.aol.com/artist/kawai-cockett/biography
  • Sound Samples
  • http://www.mele.com/music/artist/kawai+cockett/beautiful+kaua`i/
  • Amp: SWR Blonde without effects.
  • This ʻukulele has a rich full sound with an incredible sustain.
  • Comments on sound: I like the sound that the 6 string produces, but with this ʻukulele, even more so!

Action, Fit & Finish
  • The luthier would not release the ʻukulele until it was setup perfectly to his standards. I am grateful for that attention and care.

Reliability/Durability
  • Will this ukulele withstand live playing? Yes.
  • Does the hardware seem like it will last? Yes.
  • Finish: Excellent finish! I was concerned about scratching the finish with my strumming. David assured me that with a bit of polish and buffing, any scratches from my fingers would disappear. Happy to report it did just that!
  • Can you depend on it? Yes. I have had the ʻukulele nearly 4 months.
  • Would you use it on a gig without a backup? Yes, I have already taken this instrument to gigs.

Customer Support
  • If you've dealt with the company, how helpful/friendly were they? Not a company.
  • Ever try and get it repaired? Not exactly a repair, but a modification. The ʻukulele was originally gifted to me with a different string configuration. David handled my request professionally and promptly.

Overall Rating
  • How long have you been playing? Since 1992.
  • What other gear do you own? Pegasus 8 String Tenor; Sonny D 4 String Tenor; Kanileʻa K-1 4 String Tenor; Tangi 4 String Tenor; Tom Guy 4 String Tenor Cigar Box.
  • Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this ukulele? No, this was a gift.
  • If it were stolen or lost, would you buy it again or get something else? God forbid that would ever happen. I am not sure what I would do.
  • What do you love about it? The feeling, the look, the sound--pretty much everything! Mostly though, the joy of playing this ʻukulele and that so much went into this special gift for me.
  • What do you hate? Hate is such a strong word. I dislike not having enough time to play as much as I would like. It is like a new car too, where I have to be extra careful where and when I take the ʻŌiwi.
  • What is your favorite feature? The sound of the six strings.
  • Anything else you'd like to share? Yes. Please see below.

This ʻukulele was a gift from my Sweetie, but in a way also from David. I have known David for several years and it is an honor to play an ʻŌiwi ʻUkulele. The aloha and mana that has gone into this instrument resonates in so many ways.

David acquired the wood for the instrument from Bob Gleason on Hawaiʻi island. Bob himself knew exactly where the wood came from. It is important to me that this wood comes from a tree in the Puna/Kaʻū area and in particular Hawaiʻi island where I spent so many years. I have a spiritual connection with this place. Another connection is that I am blessed to own an 8 string tenor ʻukulele made by Bob Gleason (Pegasus Guitars & Ukuleles).

The plate inside of the ʻŌiwi has a special inscription composed by my good friend and former colleague at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, Keoni Kelekolio. My Sweetie asked him to create an inscription that would be meaningful on many levels.

Kāpili ʻia no Liko Puha
Kau a hoʻoilo, ke aloha hoʻomau

Crafted for Liko Puha
Poetically Translated: [This is a gift] with love that endures the passing of the seasons

Here is a short anecdote regarding the first time a played an ʻŌiwi ʻukulele.

At one point during the August 2009 E Hoʻomau ʻUkulele Retreat, my Sweetie and I ventured into the large meeting room where many ʻukulele were on display. Some were for sale and some were just being exhibited. Information tags and some price tags were attached to each.

After playing several that caught my eye, I picked up an ʻukulele without a tag. I instantly fell in love with it. It felt great in my hands and the sound was exquisite. This particular ʻukulele was a 4 string tenor. I looked around for more information about the instrument and who made it.

My search caught the attention of my Sweetie. She asked what I was looking for. When I told her that I wanted to know who made this ʻukulele, she glanced at it quickly and knew right away. She told me it was an ʻŌiwi made by David Tachera. “David made this?” I exclaimed with awe. “Do you think he makes 6 string ʻukulele?” I asked. She shrugged her shoulders and said, “Why don’t you ask him?” Which I did later that day.

Upon seeing David and after complimenting him on his work, I finally asked David if he made six string ʻukulele. He replied that he had never made a six string before. I urged him to think about it and if he had the time for such a project to please let me know, expressing my sincere interest.

Little did I know that a couple of months later my Sweetie had placed an order with David to make such an ʻukulele as a gift for me. And here it is. Mahalo Palenaʻole! (Boundless Gratitude!)

Oiwi-Pics_0002.jpgOiwi-Pics_0001.jpgOiwi-Pics.jpgoiwi-n-me.jpg

Last edited:
Great review, very thorough.

Much Mahalos for da in depth review on your `Oiwi . . . I've heard nothing but very favorable comments regarding Dave Tachera's builds. A personal thank you for using the review guide and providing a thread that's easily read. BTW, I changed that one strong word to dislike; a much more friendlier view.

Hey, congratulations on a truly lovely 'ukulele! Sounds as good as it looks, and that last picture of you shows that you are one happy guy.

You got a good sweetie, brah!

Mahalo!

Aloha Everyone,

Mahalo nui for your kind comments on my review. Yes, indeed, I am truly blessed to have a special Sweetie and a special ʻukulele!

Me ka haʻahaʻa,
Humbly,

Liko

Much Mahalos for da in depth review on your `Oiwi . . . I've heard nothing but very favorable comments regarding Dave Tachera's builds. A personal thank you for using the review guide and providing a thread that's easily read. BTW, I changed that one strong word to dislike; a much more friendlier view.

Hey, congratulations on a truly lovely 'ukulele! Sounds as good as it looks, and that last picture of you shows that you are one happy guy.

You got a good sweetie, brah!

Congratulations on a BEAUTY and it sounds as sweet as it looks!!!!! Fantastic review....mahalo!!

Top Bottom