Any reviews/vids/photos of ukes built in the 4 day workshops

Hiddencross

Reaction score
I just watched MusicGuyMic interview Rick Turner at NAMM (here), and it got me very interested in attending one of Rick's ukulele building workshops in Oakland.
I'd really like to see some photos, videos and or reviews of the completed ukes (particularly the tenor pineapple) and possibly the overall workshop experience. I tried searching the forums to no avail. Please chime in if you have any thoughts.

While this is not Rick's class, I worked with Rick the previous year and the instrument is similar to his soprano. We used a concert scale length with 14 frets to body. These courses are a lot of fun for both the participants and us. We get a waiting list of volunteers to help out, just to be part of the experience

Building a ukulele in Cairns 2011.

The course is very popular and we are running another course again this year the week leading up to the Cairns Ukulele Festival 2012.

BTW, if you are able to take one of Rick's class's you will not be disappointed.

I agree with Allen about how much fun these classes are! I did the four day uke building workshop that Allen ran last year at the Cairns Ukulele Festival. I'd had no woodworking experience at all, but he and Michael explained everything so well and were there to help us the whole way through. I'd totally recommend this kind of workshop! Lots of fun, met some great people, and came away with a really nice, playable ukulele.

To get an idea of the sound, here's a link to a video I did with it a couple of days after building it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCIg8jtkepk

The sound isn't great as it was filmed in a gondola, but you can get the idea....

Talk with Dougf here on the forum. After the course, he's slicing and planing everything he can and making some beautiful instruments.

I just watched MusicGuyMic interview Rick Turner at NAMM (here), and it got me very interested in attending one of Rick's ukulele building workshops in Oakland.
I'd really like to see some photos, videos and or reviews of the completed ukes (particularly the tenor pineapple) and possibly the overall workshop experience. I tried searching the forums to no avail. Please chime in if you have any thoughts.

Two thoughts for you: Rick Turner. If that's not enough to go hands on with the man, you probably don't know enough of who he is. The best way I can describe him is not only what I've heard a gentleman say about Rick, but also who that person is:

Rick Turner is a giant among men. . . Larry Robinson

We are very fortunate to have him here.

Aaron

Two thoughts for you: Rick Turner. If that's not enough to go hands on with the man, you probably don't know enough of who he is. The best way I can describe him is not only what I've heard a gentleman say about Rick, but also who that person is:

Rick Turner is a giant among men. . . Larry Robinson

We are very fortunate to have him here.

Aaron
Absolutely. I have no doubt of Rick's abilities. It is my own that are in doubt.

Rick's and the course I put on is designed around the premise that those attending will have little to no knowledge of instrument construction, or even woodworking for that matter, so all can participate. A great deal of thought has gone into what can and will go wrong within a class situation, and to design procedures that will insure that everyone goes home with a successful build.

That being said, even if you are very experienced in woodworking, as many who have taken classes with me are, there is just so much difference in building a deck or a chest of drawers, that the class is still an eye opener to them. One fellow who has been a woodworker (and a very good one) for 60 years said that he was astonished at how much he learnt building one ukulele. Now when I see more of his work (non instrument) I can see little aspects of what he took away from the course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a link to a thread I posted about the uke I built in Rick Turner's class:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...161-The-uke-I-built-in-Rick-Turner-s-workshop

Here's a link to the thread about my from-scratch, manzanita build that was inspired by taking Rick's class:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?58592-My-Manzanita-build

Thanks to everyone for your great responses, but especially to Dougf. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I really want to go.

Top Bottom