Rattle detected ....

Chopped Liver

Reaction score
OK, I really don't want to talk about this because it makes the problem real and I have to face the truth ... :eek: BUT ... my Lanikai concert that is a week old has a rattle in it. (I've tried to search the forums and havent' seen this.) I did not hear it in the store, but you know how that goes.

The rattle is in the body of the uke. It does not rattle (that I can tell) while I'm playing. It rattles if I turn it over or shake it lightly. It does not have a pick up in it. It sounds like the rattle is where the neck connects to the body. There is no movement or anything - just rattle. Sounds kind of like metal - like a loose nut on a screw.

I am really stressing over this. The store I bought it at does not accept returns but they are a Lanikai dealer. I have e-mailed their repair supprt but have not heard back from them.

I do not want to lose this uke. I don't want a replacement. I want this one fixed. I have an attachment to it. It has a lovely voice. It's my first! :(

I want my baby fixed! Please tell me this is an easy fix and I should stop worrying ..... I have fears of them saying it is a defect and that they need to replace it ....

help ...

Last edited:
Almost anything can be fixed or repaired, but you need to take it to a luthier who knows about ukes. There is no way this can be fixed over the web. If the store you bought it from will not accept returns, quit doing business with them.

So, I shouldn't trust their technician to fix it?

WHEW! At least it's probably fixable! I don't think their is a local luthier around but I will see what I can find.

As to the store, I know I probably shouldn't have bought from them, but I REALLY wanted this uke. I can't explain it. But I think you are probably right and I should look elsewhere. I think they sort of have a market in my area and have gotten a bit snooty .... :(

Make sure the noise does not come from the closed gear tuners. They can be loose inside and make noise when playing or even moving the ukulele. I had that experience with a Lanikai. Hold the tuners near your ear and shake.

Oh my gosh! I think you are right! The sound is just echoing in the body! Three of the washers on the front are rattling!

Another problem - the gear housing looks rusty in places. I'm hoping that's just oil ...

So, do I dare try to tighten up the nut on the front of the gears?

Hopefully, this is an easier fix than a body issue.

Would a picutre help?

Hi,
Your problem is probably a very simple one. If the tuners can be tightened down to the headstock easily, I'd do that and see if the problem is solved. If it's not easy, don't do it. You may scratch your new instrument struggling with it. Have the dealer do it. If they damage it, they're responsible. If you don't trust them, take it to a professional luthier. Anything it might be will be fixed very easily and inexpensively.

The tuners probably aren't rusty. It's doubtful they're made of steel. Awfully heavy stuff. Check with a magnet or ask the luthier to be sure.

One thing I'd do for sure if I were you is contact Lanikai. They back their new instruments. If their dealer doesn't, Lanikai must be informed.

Try all the easy fixes first. But in my case the posts were rattling inside the cylinders in which they are housed and in which they rotate. I managed to fit thin strips of paper between the posts and housing and the problem was eliminated. I unstring the ukulele and removed the tuners to do this. Time consuming job but it worked.

I LOVE YOU GUYS!! :love:

I tightened the screws with needle-nosed pliers and NO MORE RATTLE!!!!

As far as the rust look goes, a magnet will hold to the button on the back of the tuner, but nothing else. Here is a pic. The tuner in the top right hand corner is the worst.

View attachment 32692

AHHHH! I feel so relieved!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Lanikai

The rattle is gone. Ah, sweet relief!
Maybe the tuner is rusty. Hmm. There are plenty of options to remove it. I'd start with car wax. Or, the best stuff I have for this is called Never-Dull Wadding Polish (I use it on my motorcycle chrome). Very easy to use. Look here:

http://www.nevrdull.com/

Crud! Honestly, it looks like the tuner metal is eaten out a little bit in a spot or two - but maybe that's just rust build up. They are working OK. I'm afraid if it is rust that it could be rusty inside the tuner, too.

Here is a pic of more:
View attachment 32694

I really don't want to go back to that store. Maybe I should send a pic to Lanikai and see what they suggest?

AUGH!! You want me to operate on my baby?!?!?! :p

The e-bay ad says they are chrome. He (or she) says they are for ukulele but for steel strings. Huh? I didn't think any ukes had steel strings.

But I'll keep that in mind if I have trouble. At least I know I can replace them if needed. THANKS!

I'm the first person to tell people to refrain from doing their own work on their instruments. But, this is an exception. Switching out the tuners for identical replacements really is simply a "bolt off, bolt on" process. Yes, you have to lower the tension on the strings and slip them off the tuners, but this is something you would do simply replacing the strings. In fact, I would recommend leaving the uke as is until you want new strings. Have the new tuners on hand, and when you change strings replace the tuners as well. No surgery, and your baby will be exactly as you had hoped.

Top Bottom