Different tunings question

VailasA

Reaction score
So I'm wondering, what is the best tuning for uke fingerpicking? And is restringing an uke difficult? And I know I'm going to have to buy new strings.

Thanks for the help

Well, most people that do a LOT of fingerpicking use a linear tuning (i.e. a low G string) simply because it gives a wider range of notes.

That said, there is no reason not to fingerpick on a reentrant uke.

No need to buy new strings unless you decide to switch to a linear tuning. Lots of folks do some fingerpicking and clawhammer stuff using standard tuning.

I think both tunings yield great results when fingerpicking. It's not about following any rules. It's really all about what serves the particular song the best.

There are videos all over youtube on that will show you step by step how to restring your uke.

Here are a few. ADF#B (High a and Low A), FBbDG, F#BEbAb, GCEG (Slack Key).

So you need special strings for all these? Sorry for the noob questions :p

So you need special strings for all these? Sorry for the noob questions :p
You can get away with these tunings without special strings. Slack key should have a low g. I have a baritone with Southcoast flat wound linear strings tuned FBbDG and it sounds great. My Martin soprano sounds great in aDF#B. I keep an eye on the saddle when I tune up to aDF#B to make sure the extra tension doesn't lift it off the top.

Last edited:
So what are chords like when they're tuned like that?

So what are chords like when they're tuned like that?

Now things get complicated. Same shapes, but different names. For example, a C shape is a D in the aDF#B and a Bb in the fBbDG. If you do not know music theory this may bend your mind a bit. If you don't worry about it and just play and you are not playing with other people it doesn't matter that much.

Top Bottom