Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Performax/Jet 10- 20 Design Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Combs View Post
    Wow, I just got mine a week ago, & have sanded exactly one fingerboard. I didn't find any mention of this problem in researching the purchase. Guess I'd better spend more time researching next time. I'll be eagerly following this thread.

Steve
    I've built a few hundred ukes with my 16/32 and use it every day. And I work it hard! Despite a couple of flaws, it's still the best small drum sander made IMO. I've been through a few spiders though, primarily because I let the motor couplers get loose. Although I don't do it I think it's a good idea to periodically tighten the fasteners and lube the moving parts. I can't speak for to 10/20 though.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

As far as I see it should be possible to find a Helicoil thread insert in that size.
    But what may or may not be a concern is how much material has to be removed in order to fit the thread insert.
    From my recollection from previous repairs using Helicoil you should be able to fit an insert safely.
    Provioded they make them in the correct size and pitch ofcourse..
    Jupiter Creek Steel string ukulele soprano/concert,
    Harley Benton Eleuke Tenor Natural glossy,
    Eleuke Peanut , Cordoba 20CM Mahogany Concert, Yamaha GL1
    Morgan St-1 (rewired with 1 humbucker straight to jack for no noise or hum), Hohner steel string acoustic guitar, Harley Benton Banjo 5 string
    Roland Micro Cube (2watt amp with lots of amp sims and effects, LOUD 2 watts though), iPad2 loaded with music apps(basically setup as a portastudio), Laptop setup as a DAW...

Maybe get a skilled welder to fill it up, make the area a little taller for strength then retap?

Ken is on it folks asnd you can bet it will be an appriopriate fix... the problem is the combination of fine thread on a steel bar going into a heavy aluminium lump; recipe for disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by tjomball View Post
    As far as I see it should be possible to find a Helicoil thread insert in that size.
    But what may or may not be a concern is how much material has to be removed in order to fit the thread insert.
    From my recollection from previous repairs using Helicoil you should be able to fit an insert safely.
    Provioded they make them in the correct size and pitch ofcourse..
    Most repairs to this problem on 10-20's have been done by Helicoil 9/16" UNF inserts..I have used Helicoil's many times on stripped threads like on car engine cylinder heads and manifolds etc: where permanent fixing is required.. but this is a leadscrew and nut arrangement, where a non friction surface is ideal (like on a lathe saddle nut).. Most Helicoil jobs offered by small engineering shops are done with standard steel inserts...this will cause more friction problems later on, co's steel on steel is a no no in this sort of job........ If you search around you can get "Phosphor bronze Helicoil inserts" that should do the job a bit better.. but really the length of the nut is one of the problems..for this job i'd like to see a nut length of 2D minimum made of bronze or pure iron, a Buttress or Acme thread would be a bonus, but thats out of the price range, co's it would involve making a new spindle.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 01-27-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Looking at buying one and was wanting to know from the guys that have them, what is the better size to go with, 10-20 or the 16-32. Its only a couple hundred buck different. I just don't want to get the little one and then need a bigger one. I would only really use it for making instruments. Sorry if I am high jacking your thread, just felt this was a good place to ask. I have a large home made one but would like a more portable one to give me more room and floor space. Thanks in advance.

You've got me worried now Ken. I'm headed out to the shed to check on my 10-20.
    Liam Ryan.
    Cairns, Australia.
    Stump Jump Ukulele Co.
    Stump Jump on Facebook

Some material arrived this morning so I made a start on the job.....I decided to fix my machine first and troubleshoot any problems that may occur before I send Petes parts back to him..You can most likely work out how i'm going to do this from these pic's....The main chunk of material is some 1 1/2" x 1" aluminium bar.

I cut this up into 3 lengths 1 for Pete 1 for me and a spare in case of cock-up's.

This a drawing I made of my proposed repair part.

Next Marking out for Machining

MORE TO FOLLOW
    Last edited by Timbuck; 01-30-2012 at 03:03 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I haven't got the links Ken...

Fixed it i think The next operation is on the lathe boring out an accurate 3/4" dia hole.
    First centre drill

Next drilling

And finaly reaming out to size

MORE TO FOLLOW
    Last edited by Timbuck; 01-30-2012 at 05:07 AM.

Thread Information