Example of uke playing transfered to guitar...

Bob Bledsoe

Reaction score
I've been playing ukulele for about 7 months now (every day) and have never played guitar... I'm at my sisters place right now and decided to pull her unused guitar out of the closet and fiddle with it... I tuned it up, spent about an hour getting used to the bigger frets and then recorded this vid.

There are tons of mistakes and my playing of this piece even on ukulele isn't very good, but I think it shows that if you're playing uke, the transition to guitar might be a little easier than starting from square one... Also, I'm sure there's a much better way to play this on guitar. I'm just doing what I do on uke and it seems to work out okay in a different key.

BTW, this video is also a good example of what I look like in my pajamas (you're welcome ladies)

well the one advantage you have being that size is that even a guitar looks like a uke when you are holding it, No offense intended bro lol.

You'd be surprised man - that's actually an upright bass.

now that did get a smile out of me, lol

Just a quick comment of going from uke to guitar, I notice that the guitar in the video is a classical, I think you would find a steel string with a narrow neck much easier, or I have seen a few non classical guitars recently with nylon strings but not the big wide neck, fender does a beauty if you prefer nylons, steel strings can be a bit daunting at first but if you get nice light gauge ones then your fingers wont bleed to badly :)

good luck with it all anyways, keep us posted on how the story unfolds.

Last edited:
You should liberate that guitar from your sister's closet and take it home with you. Buy her a uke in exchange. :)

Thanks man. I don't think I'll take up the guitar yet, but it's fun to play around with. I want to focus on uke before jumping into another instrument. The wide neck on the classical is a challenge, but I like finger picking ukulele so if I decide to learn guitar, I may take up classical just for the reason that I think I'll be using fingers rather than a pick... Thanks for the info!

Yeah Drew I thought about that... She doesn't play either one, but she's the one who got me into uke. She bought an ukulele in July for her 2-year old and I learned a couple chords on it and got hooked... I got my own uke so I don't have to share with the kiddo, but that guitar may end up at my place eventually. ;-)

As long as you're playing guitar, add your thumb to complete the bottom end. This is one of my favorite guitar pieces to play.

This isn't me playing, but take a listen to this:

Last edited:
That's great! It looks like I'm close on that one. I can't tell what he's doing with his thumb. Is he alternating the bass strings?

As long as you're in that key (Em) try mixing it up with this:
There is a whole series of easy exercises in this key that sound good together.

Nice. I mix those two pieces in on ukulele. Great to see how their done on guitar. Thanks for those!

Try playing it with a dropped D then play your normal uke tunes that you play in G on the uke they will now be in D on the guitar but you can add that nice low bass note D just by hitting the open 6th string, easy as pie and sounds awesome.

Just experiment and have fun with it, could even go for full open tuning dadf#ad or dadgad for a nice celtic feel

Top Bottom