Bar Fret Coming Up

R

RyanMFT

Hello UU,
Perhaps someone can help me with this.

On my Favilla Teardrop ukulele one of the frets suddenly decided to pop up on the treble side. Only part of the fret came up but it needs to go back home (about 1/2 inch)! I tried gently tapping with a tack-hammer but it didn't re-seat. I can push it back down with my finger but it just pops back up.........what to do? I can take it to my luthier but if there is a way I can fix it I'd like to do it.

Thought I would ask before I try anything else. This is a mahogany teardrop from the 30's.....and my best sounding soprano. Please help me with this!! Thanks for any help!

Careful application of superglue and clamp it down. Clean off superglue from fingerboard; do not get any on finish.

Thank You Rick! Such a pleasure to have you on UU! I so appreciate your taking the time to answer my question.

Whoa! That's amazing!

I would want to know why the hell a fret would shoot up a half an inch after being planted for years... doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
Sorry Vic, my description leaves a lot to be desired. It didn't pop up a half an inch. About a half an inch of it came unseated, and popped up a bit. More than half of the fret was still firmly seated. It is a 30's Favilla, which I play a lot. Came up enough to cause a buzz on my a string and to catch my finger if I strummed around it (it was the 10th fret).

A careful application of super glue, and a quick clamp for a couple minutes.....no more problem!

Top Bottom