Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uke > Guitar, Need Help.

Default Uke > Guitar, Need Help.

My son plays guitar and we have a boodle of them lying around the house. Today, no reason, I picked up an acoustic 6-string Garrison G-30 (2001, before they sold to Gibson) and starting plunking around. Wow, I can play (sort of)! Arpeggiating, barre chording technique, pinky accents, strum pattern: same as uke.

Does anyone know of a specific reference--book, DVD, website or streamed video--that takes a ukulele player to the guitar (chording, etc.). Would be nice to convert with knowledge from a uker (like, "Here's a uke G chord, just do this to play it on a guitar" sort of thing) on aspects that are the same, different, the chords, etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 05-26-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Just buy the biggest, fattest chord dictionary you can find. And take it easy for a while or you'll get tendonitis before you know it. Playing uke may make you think you have more flexibility in your hands and fingers than you actually have, but wrestling a 6 string elephant is a whole new ballgame.

Good luck with it though

Does your son have a capo? If not, get one and install at the fifth fret ... hey, presto ... you're playing a humongous ukulele, tenor scale - C tuning. Just ignore those extra strings. You don't need them.

Guitar for Ukulele Players, by Chad Johnson.

Hey Steve...I've been playing guitar again (have a slew of them...well maybe 8-10, couple of nice ones...) and have found this website to be very helpful. Just (re)learned "Rainbow Connection" last night to teach to my uke/guitar class. Nice collection of tunes...rock, pop and a little jazz.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Ck out his Youtube channel.

Edit: Actually, Justin has a uke tutorial for "Rainbow"...here's the guitar version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGlfY3dKx1Q
    Last edited by sonomajazz; 05-28-2015 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonomajazz View Post
    Hey Steve...I've been playing guitar again (have a slew of them...well maybe 8-10, couple of nice ones...) and have found this website to be very helpful. Just (re)learned "Rainbow Connection" last night to teach to my uke/guitar class. Nice collection of tunes...rock, pop and a little jazz.

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Ck out his Youtube channel.

Edit: Actually, Justin has a uke tutorial for "Rainbow"...here's the guitar version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGlfY3dKx1Q
    Great advice. I'm checking out this site now. Thanks, Fred!

Quote Originally Posted by good_uke_boy View Post
    Guitar for Ukulele Players, by Chad Johnson.
    Oh, boy, that looks good. Great tip, thanks gub!

Quote Originally Posted by geetee View Post
    Does your son have a capo? If not, get one and install at the fifth fret ... hey, presto ... you're playing a humongous ukulele, tenor scale - C tuning. Just ignore those extra strings. You don't need them.
    Geetee, just ignore the extra strings? I like the sound of it; will try it tomorrow. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
    Just buy the biggest, fattest chord dictionary you can find. And take it easy for a while or you'll get tendonitis before you know it. Playing uke may make you think you have more flexibility in your hands and fingers than you actually have, but wrestling a 6 string elephant is a whole new ballgame.

Good luck with it though
    Dug out my kid's big ole book of geetar chords. Good idea, BK. I'm off to stretch them joints and to do some book learnin'. Thanks!

Can you find a teacher? While uke is fairly easy to learn on one's own, there are hand training tricks that you need to learn to be efficient on that bigger fretboard and the six stings. You won't want to unlearn bad habits. I played as a self-taught in college. I was fairly good at folk, but then dropped it. Now I"m learning the right way and even my thumb doesn't want to go where it should.
    Ukes: Mainland mahogany tenor, Eleuke Tenor Solid Cutaway Sunburst
    Guitars: Yamaha GS-90, Marcario flamenco negra, Cordoba Protege 3/4

Thread Information