Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar for uke players

Default Guitar for uke players

Uke players thinking of migrating to the guitar? Here's a tip: do it in stages. Start with a four-string cigar box guitar. That will get you accustomed to the spacing of the frets and also to the tension (and callous-abusing nature) of the steel strings.

After you're comfortable on the cigar-box scale, you can upgrade to a proper six-string.

The cigar-box guitar is an uber-baritone uke you can use to jam with any guitar session, too.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

sounds like an excuse to give into UAS!
    Kamaka HP-1 Pineapple
    Kamaka HF-2 Concert
    Ken Timms Style 1 Soprano
    Eleuke Koa Concert
    Honu KXXX-TR
    Republic Spruce Concert
    Yamaha GL-1 Guitalele

Or just go straight to a Guitalele. The fret scale is very hand friendly and they are pretty cheap. I made a version around 2 years ago and I absolutely adore playing it. One day I'll get around to doing some MP3's on it. It's amazingly loud too, even in comparison to my full size Guitars.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...ight=guitalele

Another route is via short scale guitars. There are quite a few nice options out there. Martin and Taylor both make nice acoustic guitars for travel, small statured people, and uke players. Ibanez, Gibson Epiphone, and Fender Squier make cool mini electrics all of which are between 100 and 200 dollars.
    Allan

Frequently Played
    National Triolian
    Godin Multi-Uke
    Kala 5-String
    Martin Style 2
    Koaloha Sceptre
    Other Instruments
    Harmonica, Lap Steel, Flute, Guitar

I'm having fun with my CBG. It's a funky instrument and has a wicked sound. Took it into the local music store where they sell Gibson, Epiphone & Fender and everyone wanted to try it and get photos of themselves with it. Like it enough I'm considering getting another.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

tenor guitar?
    •Bonanza Black Walnut Oreo #291
    •Framus 6197 Tenor
    •Gretsch G9470 Clarophone Banjo Ukulele
    •Hadean UKB22 UBass Zebrawood
    •Ibanez Uew10qm Ew Concert
    •Kala KA-S Soprano
    •Kala KA-SSTU-T Travel Tenor
    •Kay Soprano (Plastic Fretboard 1950s)
    •Koalana Soprano (first gen.)
    •Lanakai LB6-S Soprano Banjolele
    •Lanakai LQA-C Concert
    •Lanakai LU21T Tenor
    •Luna Tattoo Electric Concert
    •Outdoor Ukulele Black #35
    •Outdoor Ukulele Transparent
    •Werco Metal Necked Soprano
    •Zeynel Abidin Cumbus Ukulele

Can you consider a cigar box guitar to be a tenor guitar? 4 steel strings...
    Or does a guitar need to have a banjo headstock and a floating bridge besides the 4 strings to be considered a tenor?

Maysville, Kentucky "on the banks of the Ohio"

Well, I migrated from the guitar to the ukulele and if you could see my buying pattern, it looks like I'm migrating back....fist was a concert, then a tenor, (a couple of sapranos in between) and now to the baritone and to tell the truth, I've been looking at some parlor guitars. Where will it all end? I guess when I finally work my way back to my martin dreadnaught. <G> Seriously, I think it's whatever you set your mind to. I had been struggling with picking my Martin since spending so much time lately with the Uke's. But I did pick up my guitar last week and really concentrated on playing it and to my amazement, it worked out just fine. I think it's a whole lot of just mind over matter.

wooville

Quote Originally Posted by ichadwick View Post
    Uke players thinking of migrating to the guitar? Here's a tip: do it in stages. Start with a four-string cigar box guitar. That will get you accustomed to the spacing of the frets and also to the tension (and callous-abusing nature) of the steel strings.

After you're comfortable on the cigar-box scale, you can upgrade to a proper six-string.

The cigar-box guitar is an uber-baritone uke you can use to jam with any guitar session, too.
    Nelson Hopwood
    bassman on the banks of the ohio
    http://wooville.0catch.com

Lanikai LCD-C Designer Series Concert, Mainland Red Cedar Tenor, Kala Chocolate Dolphin, Ohana BK-20 Baritone, and vintage 50's model Harmony Baritone and Ohana BK-70R Baritone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooville View Post
    Well, I migrated from the guitar to the ukulele and if you could see my buying pattern, it looks like I'm migrating back....fist was a concert, then a tenor, (a couple of sapranos in between) and now to the baritone and to tell the truth, I've been looking at some parlor guitars. Where will it all end? I guess when I finally work my way back to my martin dreadnaught. <G> Seriously, I think it's whatever you set your mind to. I had been struggling with picking my Martin since spending so much time lately with the Uke's. But I did pick up my guitar last week and really concentrated on playing it and to my amazement, it worked out just fine. I think it's a whole lot of just mind over matter.

wooville
    Exactly! I also came from the guitar to the ukulele. I get out my guitars every now and then and to my surprise they seem huge! Even my parlor seems big. But, it's just a matter of getting use to it again. I think it would also be cheaper to just go to the guitar and not bother with all the in between steps.
    Last edited by Garydavkra; 10-25-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    Fender Nohea Tenor Ukulele
    Pono solid Acacia Baritione
    Pono solid Mahogany Tenor
    Custom Mahogany Tenor by Ken Otto
    Custom Mahogany Baritone by Ken Otto
    Since I also play guitar and frequent the guitar section:
    Tacoma PM-20 Parlor
    Tacoma D6 Dreadnaught
    Ibanez Electric
    Blueridge Tenor
    Cordoba C5 Classical

I have a Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar. It's scale length is a bit longer than that of a baritone ukulele, the strings are closer together than baritone ukulele strings (making the neck narrower), and it has steel strings and a fixed (not floating) bridge. Tenor guitars are frequently tuned like tenor banjos (from which they evolved); mine is tuned DGBE, like a baritone ukulele (known as Chicago tuning in the tenor ukulele community), so I didn't have to learn new chord shapes. I love it to death. It sounds like a guitar and has gotten me accustomed to guitar string spacing. I bought mine on eBay from Jamie at Hot Strings Guitars in Rhode Island. That's Jamie in the video.

Last edited by mds725; 10-25-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Thread Information