$12,000 for the Humu Custom Kamaka!!!

Good luck to them.

I certainly won't be buying it though.

I just find it funny how there was very little negative press about this 12K uke, where the Taylor Guitar/Uke package was only 2k more but you would have thought it was the end of the world

I have no doubt it will eventually sell. $12,000 though... that's a lot of opportunity cost IMO

True dat.

Whoever buys that is going to love the hell out of fish, inlays, Kamaka, ukulele... and I could be wrong (hope I am), but it'll never be played. Much like with the Taylor set, although that does look like a bargain now. If either of these is what someone really wants, then hopefully they're not the stereotypical schmucks you expect they'll be. Anything's possible.

I just find it funny how there was very little negative press about this 12K uke, where the Taylor Guitar/Uke package was only 2k more but you would have thought it was the end of the world

I think the difference between the Kamaka humu-humu and the Taylor offerings is that the Kamaka is a singular piece of art, where the Taylor set is one of 30 being made.

But other one-of-a-kind ukes with beautiful custom inlays (Moore Bettah, DaSilva, et al.) prices don't come near this Kamaka. It will be interesting to see if and after how long, the humu-humu uke is sold and to whom.

:2cents:

I think people were expecting something totally different from Taylor.

IMO the idea of a 30 Uke limited run that doesn't even match the guitar it's being paired to is pretty disappointing after making a big deal about hiring this guy who has uber-ukulele building credentials.

I think people were expecting Taylor to tip toe into a the Uke arena with their first production Uke.

In hindsight it was probably unrealistic to think Taylor could get all the tooling together for a production run this quickly.

Maybe next year we'll see Taylor with a Uke for the rest of us. I would buy one in a heartbeat as long as the price was appropriate.

I think I've been spending too much time on Rolex Forums...$12k feels like a typical expense for people on the internet now. That uke is gorgeous...if I were stuck between a Daytona and that uke, the uke would be mine. No doubt that it would hold its value fantastically well.

I think I've been spending too much time on Rolex Forums...$12k feels like a typical expense for people on the internet now. That uke is gorgeous...if I were stuck between a Daytona and that uke, the uke would be mine. No doubt that it would hold its value fantastically well.

Wow Jon,
I knew you were well off..but didn't realize that till now..maybe you could trade one of those presidential rolex's and donate that to the Mystery Man poor mans foundation...ha ha :eek::)

No fan of Rolex, this uke all day long. Now an Omega PO and a Speedy OTOH.. But still wouldn't be getting to 12k. Thank goodness I'm happy with my Sinn 856.

Note, I just grok watches. I'm in no position to be getting Omegas.

I thought MGM bought it.

Yeah, and the actual price for the Taylor guitar/ukulele set was just under 8K. All too rich for my bank account.

:iwant: that is the most beautiful ukulele Ive ever seen! only one thing be more beautiful a nd I want more. To see an end to things like disposable plastic and the health of our oceans for the real humu. That is an awful lot of money, it would be a nice gesture and good mana if they would consider donating some fo the profit toward that cause. then it would be more justified imho.

Wow Jon,
I knew you were well off..but didn't realize that till now..maybe you could trade one of those presidential rolex's and donate that to the Mystery Man poor mans foundation...ha ha :eek::)

LOL I don't think I'll have that kind of money to spend for a long time. But when I do, you had better believe that I'll be buying awesome ukuleles like this. I'd much rather have two of these than one YG DayDate.

I wonder what the floor price on this instrument was...I suspect it was around $10k cash...which, honestly, from an investment+enjoyment standpoint would make it a very good investment. On the topic of watches, it would almost certainly hold it's value better than the equivalent watches. When it comes to holding value or appreciating, no other brand can touch Kamaka in the ukulele world.

And Plainsong, the Sinn 856 is a fine watch...not easy to find in the US...and quite pricey too.

Top Bottom