What's up with the sound on this Luna HT Tenor?

campfly

Reaction score
Hi All, I just got a new Luna High Tide Tenor last week and don't really know what to make of it yet. I like everything about it except for the sound which is so. . . hollow? mellow? dull? I'm not really sure how to describe it. My points of comparison are my other two ukes: a KPK deluxe concert and an Oscar Schmidt OU2. Both sound punchy and additionally the KPK sounds lovely, but the sound from the Luna seems to resonate in a way that leaves the sound loud but muddy (if that makes any sense.)

Since I have so little experience with other ukes, I don't know whether the fact that it is a tenor has something to do with it or whether the electronics might be to blame. I can imagine that this sound might be very desirable for certain types of playing, especially in a band, but it is leaving me doubtful that I will keep it. I just don't want to order another electric tenor and find that I'm getting the same result. Any suggestions?

If anyone has had experience with this uke and can help me understand what I am hearing and why it will be greatly appreciated.

If it's a laminate then dull or muffled is probably about right for a less expensive laminate. I have the Lanikai six string tenor and I like it a lot, it's pretty and feels nice and is very well finished, but I just wanted a cheap 6 string uke to try out before possibly getting something better. It has a more muffled tone than my solid wood ukes. It is also ovangkol.

When the ad says "select" instead of "solid" I believe that is a marketing term for laminate. The lam can be nice and loud but if you have a solid wood KPK then your ears are spoiled as you are used to a nice clear tone. You can do some twiddling on your amp and may enjoy it better plugged in. I do like mine fine for what it is and also like being able to plug it in. I don't expect it to sound like a Kamaka or a Kanile'a, but it's a lot of fun.

Just my :2cents:

I also suspected that it might be the fact that it is a laminate uke. However, my OU2 is a mahogany laminate and sounds much clearer than the Luna. Maybe it is the nature of this particular ovangkol laminate?

Top Bottom